Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

13 hours ago, ropy said:

I wonder why we don’t roll a free kick back to him, clearing a wall from 15 yards is easier than getting it up and down from 10 yards.  He has the power to rocket it in from 25 yards rather than trying to finesse it in from 20.

Don't think he ever does much wrong when he plays tbh less of a bomb scare than a few others. On Saturday he won just about ever header he went for and scored the screamer near the end, and does carry that goal threat. Guessing he is a bit of a victim of the SK random defence lineup generator.

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Blaney's a big, brave laddie and we can probably just about make that work. Would keep him around but I'd like to see us sign someone in the summer to hold the defence together like Butcher did before his legs exploded. 

Think that's it in a nutshell for me.

We need to sign a first choice central defender. No easy task.  We absolutely cannot sleep walk into thinking all of the defenders have their plus points and deserve new deals/it's better to keep them around as might not get any better. 

Loads of nuances about keeping players on much reduced deals etc but ultimately good bye Bev, goodbye Butch - thanks for the good times - we need your wages.

Edited by eliphas

15 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Callum Morris, Keith Watson, Kenny van der Weg, Callum Semple, Coll Donaldson, Alex Iacovitti...

Morris was our best centre-back since Andrew Davies, but he was terribly injury prone. Donaldson's form imploding in Morris's absence was one of the reasons why Kettlewell was sacked, IMO. 

35 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Think that's it in a nutshell for me.

We need to sign a first choice central defender. No easy task.  We absolutely cannot sleep walk into thinking all of the defenders have their plus points and deserve new deals/it's better to keep them around as might not get any better. 

Loads of nuances about keeping players on much reduced deals etc but ultimately good bye Bev, goodbye Butch - thanks for the good times - we need your wages.

It'll come as a surprise to absolutely no one that we have, by a distance, the worst clean sheet record in the league - 9 (NINE) %

It's actually quite remarkable that we've gone from entirely functional and solid during his initial spell saving us from the massive hole Hammell dug for us to whatever this is...

If he can't coach us to clean sheets with the players he has then you'd hope that he sees this as...well, something we should probably look at.

Screenshot2024-04-16at12_58_17.thumb.png.6dc52b39d756563ace880d3b4e3ac5d4.png

1 minute ago, bunglebonce said:

Morris was our best centre-back since Andrew Davies, but he was terribly injury prone. Donaldson's form imploding in Morris's absence was one of the reasons why Kettlewell was sacked, IMO. 

I think in the context of this discussion we're having at the moment we're trying to get a handle on what type of centre back Kettlewell likes. It's a curious quirk that he's now 55 games into his Motherwell managerial career yet hasn't actually signe a centre half and has just stuck with those that he inherited.

I think we've all got an idea of what we think we need but it'd be interesting to get a handle on whether or not Ketts is seeing the same things as us.

With a 9% clean sheet rate you'd hope he does.

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

It's actually quite remarkable that we've gone from entirely functional and solid during his initial spell saving us from the massive hole Hammell dug for us to whatever this is...

I think we've all got an idea of what we think we need but it'd be interesting to get a handle on whether or not Ketts is seeing the same things as us.

You could even go further than that and say that it's taken until May 2024 (assuming we clinch safety with a balanced budget then) to get back on truly solid ground from Alexander losing the plot in spring 2022.

Which makes sense when you break it down but still, bloody hell.

I've no doubt Kettlewell will see the same as us regarding CBs but that not the same as him picking/being able to afford the guys to fix it. The Livingston rumour is hardly confidence inspiring.

What's also worth saying is that this year he got a long time to bed his signings in - for all Bair, Davor and Gent are now pluses, they took till Xmas to get going. If he does the same again next season and we're struggling in 10th, I'm not convinced we won't decide to roll the dice for January rather than wait and not renew him. Hopefully not, ofc.

14 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I know it has no bearing on his performances as an actual defender but it'll be a while longer after Ibrox before I have anything bad to say about Dan Casey.

This is partially why I'm not too fussed about missing out on the top six. It allows us to keep the "we've beaten Rangers every time we've played in 2024" narrative going until at least the summer.

55 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I've no doubt Kettlewell will see the same as us regarding CBs but that not the same as him picking/being able to afford the guys to fix it. The Livingston rumour is hardly confidence inspiring.

Assuming the Livingston rumour came from a couple of random Tweets from Livi fans saying the player was "apparently at Fir Park" to sign a PCA then until proven otherwise I'm filing it firmly with the oddball rumours that seem to pop up from Dundee that apparently we've *definitely* signed one of their players on a PCA.

Screenshot2024-04-16at14_27_32.thumb.png.5f69b08d358d9bf90ce71eee0dd238e7.png

18 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Assuming the Livingston rumour came from a couple of random Tweets from Livi fans saying the player was "apparently at Fir Park" to sign a PCA then until proven otherwise I'm filing it firmly with the oddball rumours that seem to pop up from Dundee that apparently we've *definitely* signed one of their players on a PCA.

Can only hope! Though I heard it separately as well. Along with, just for intrigue, that we've also got a PCA from Raith Rovers. 

Just saying but Theo Bair can get to absolute f**k if he thinks it's funny to score a winner against us on the final day.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just saying but Theo Bair can get to absolute f**k if he thinks it's funny to score a winner against us on the final day.

I would also find this scenario funny, tbf.

Signs off with a hat-trick before an £800k move to Shrewsbury or some other EFL non-entity.

1 minute ago, Desp said:

I would also find this scenario funny, tbf.

Signs off with a hat-trick before an £800k move to Shrewsbury or some other EFL non-entity.

The football gods demand it as narrative, I think.

County will fancy their chances at Livingston and home to Hibs so if we lose in Aberdeen there's a fair bit of pressure on not fucking up v Livingston. And tbh I'd rather have had St J earlier for another chance at getting the points on the board sooner.

But still, fact remains we're in a very strong position and it'd be criminal to f**k it up from here.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

County will fancy their chances at Livingston and home to Hibs so if we lose in Aberdeen there's a fair bit of pressure on not fucking up v Livingston. And tbh I'd rather have had St J earlier for another chance at getting the points on the board sooner.

But still, fact remains we're in a very strong position and it'd be criminal to f**k it up from here.

For you to be 11th you need two teams to win at least twice and lose no more than twice, and for you to not pick up a point.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

For you to be 11th you need two teams to win at least twice and lose no more than twice, and for you to not pick up a point.

Exactly. That's why we're worried.