Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

40 minutes ago, welldaft said:

So they did 🤦‍♂️.  Still Dundee looked fairly competent tonight and not like the team we faced for the last 15 minutes a couple of weeks back. Hope they pip St Mirren to 5th. 

Also Curtis Main came on. Still to score for them iirc. I assume Ketts was talking about him when he mentioned Dundee outbidding us for players.  One wonders if we would have got Theo if we had managed to get Main ? Not sure which order that all happened. 

Main went there in January so Vale is probably the comparison. Maybe Shaw if you count him as a signing.

42 minutes ago, welldaft said:

So they did 🤦‍♂️.  Still Dundee looked fairly competent tonight and not like the team we faced for the last 15 minutes a couple of weeks back. Hope they pip St Mirren to 5th. 

Also Curtis Main came on. Still to score for them iirc. I assume Ketts was talking about him when he mentioned Dundee outbidding us for players.  One wonders if we would have got Theo if we had managed to get Main ? Not sure which order that all happened. 

Main went there in January so Vale is probably the comparison. Maybe Shaw if you count him as a signing/footballer. 

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Maybe I'm being taken for one here, but even if Motherwell had won on Saturday, you would still only be seventh.

The other two things I listed didn't happen either, that was the joke.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/4950669/dundee-fc-owners-incompetence-jim-crumley/

No idea if the columnist has a particular axe to grind but certainly a fair degree of scepticism to the US boys at Dundee there.

Regarding us, it's interesting that after EB positioning himself in the BBC before the weekend and the various leaks from the club/society side that there hasn't been a peep since. 

9 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Main went there in January so Vale is probably the comparison. Maybe Shaw if you count him as a signing.

Which I don’t. I try to forget the fact he actually came back here. I assume it must have been contractual. Up there with Ross McCormack for pointless signings. But that is what happens when you don’t have a pot to piss in. In fact he may well be here next season….

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

Slattery against Hearts for me, made Motherwell look like a decent team. Lovely day, full house, quality bit of football. Only thing attempting to ruin the moment being VAR stopping the celebrations for the check. Which kills the spontaneous nature of goal celebrations far too often.

Spittal isn't one for scoring a 2 yard tap in is he, each one are feckin belters. Had to choose one it would be against Celtic mainly for the lovely bit of play from Lennon and the sublime finish from Spittal.

Here, we absolutely broke Rangers with that win at Ibrox eh? 

They'd won 9 on the bounce in the league before that game and since we beat them have won once in the league.

Oh, and they keep talking about it 😂 

XFobeyYFuBYO2U_P.thumb.jpg.e2ccdaa009cd2a3c1d23a8fd0801b434.jpg

The Spittal goal against Celtic was the only one on the list that I didn't see live - so maybe that changes my perception - but it is probably my favourite. But due to Hearts PCA's, I'm giving it to Slattery's which due to the way the ball was pinged about, looked amazing from high up in the away end at Tynecastle...

One thing that I hope isn't ripped up in the summer is the attacking side of things - this has been a good goal scoring Motherwell team (that scored good goals).

Edited by Swello

9 hours ago, rowsdower said:

The other two things I listed didn't happen either, that was the joke.

I'm confused, Mitchell van der Gaag, did score against Dunfermline. Is your point that he didn't hit the dead ball or it wasn't the winning goal?

15 minutes ago, WeeAlf said:

I'm confused, Mitchell van der Gaag, did score against Dunfermline. Is your point that he didn't hit the dead ball or it wasn't the winning goal?

Someone shifted the ball to him and so it wasn't a direct free kick (I had to rewind it in my head when I first read it :) )

13 minutes ago, WeeAlf said:

There are witty pedants in our support who love pointing out he didn't score a free kick, he scored from a free kick.

It's become one of these repetitive points or jokes which is probably hilarious if you were in on it originally but to everyone else just looks odd.

25 minutes ago, Swello said:

One thing that I hope isn't ripped up in the summer is the attacking side of things - this has been a good goal scoring Motherwell team (that scored good goals).

Aye, it’s what’s given me optimism that Kettlewell has the potential to be a very good manager for us. 

48 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Here, we absolutely broke Rangers with that win at Ibrox eh? 

They'd won 9 on the bounce in the league before that game and since we beat them have won once in the league.

Oh, and they keep talking about it 😂 

XFobeyYFuBYO2U_P.thumb.jpg.e2ccdaa009cd2a3c1d23a8fd0801b434.jpg

Not the first time a 6-1 at Ibrox broke them. 

It was 6-1, right? That's what Clement said?

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Regarding us, it's interesting that after EB positioning himself in the BBC before the weekend and the various leaks from the club/society side that there hasn't been a peep since. 

Aye, other than EB being a bit active on Twitter there's not been anything of substance. I imagine there's been a bit of chat between the parties about the leak(s) etc. and it's been (rightly, imho) locked down.

We're what, two weeks in since the announcement? I'd be hopeful of some sort of update in the following two weeks, even if it's just a "talks are ongoing and are continuing at pace"/whatever.

Although given the current regime's (Caldwell aside given he's just arrived) track record, it wouldn't surprise me if the first update any of us receive is a set of documents regarding the investment coming through our letterboxes.

Edited by StAndrew7

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/4950669/dundee-fc-owners-incompetence-jim-crumley/

No idea if the columnist has a particular axe to grind but certainly a fair degree of scepticism to the US boys at Dundee there.

Presumably everything is NDA'd up to the tits at this point so other than him giving that interview to the BBC last week we'll hear hee haw else until they've drawn up the investment plan and passed it on to the WS for perusal. 

Given the glacial speeds that deals can move at - and the fact that anything that is negotiated then needs to go through a cycle of scrutiny by the 'Well Society board and then members - and *then* all the legal formalities and due diligence - I'm not particularly fussed at this point and don't really care about a running commentary on it.

If it does happen, then it's going to be too late to affect our summer recruitment/budget and so at the very earliest, it would have an impact in January 2025 (but most likely the summer after). The club isn't in financial difficulty of any sort, so not losing any sleep on the fact that there hasn't been an update for 5 days.

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

Given the glacial speeds that deals can move at - and the fact that anything that is negotiated then needs to go through a cycle of scrutiny by the 'Well Society board and then members - and *then* all the legal formalities and due diligence - I'm not particularly fussed at this point and don't really care about a running commentary on it.

If it does happen, then it's going to be too late to affect our summer recruitment/budget and so at the very earliest, it would have an impact in January 2025 (but most likely the summer after). The club isn't in financial difficulty of any sort, so not losing any sleep on the fact that there hasn't been an update for 5 days.

Aye, now that we have Caldwell in place I'm quite happy they work away on details or negotiations till they can present something, it's just a notable contrast to now do it in silence. If we still hadn't got a CEO sorted I'd be annoyed drifting even further.

Edited by Handsome_Devil