Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

If it was the only stinker we wouldn't be bottom 6.

We rescued a lot of draws from bad performances. Particularly against St Johnstone. Biereth last minnute equaliser was huge because we had been completely shite but we stopped them getting the win.

That was the turning point of the season for me. Getting that point. Hard to explain but I think some  fans were losing patience with Kettlewell at that point. We didn't exactly kick on after that but it was massive. It's been a rotten season in large parts but huge credit to the team for digging in and not giving up. 

2 hours ago, Yabba is a Turd said:

How refreshing to get a balanced review on a first class professional performance. If you read some of the Diddies on Steelmen online, the whole team is shite and certain players aren't trying. So to Steelboy, MJC and my wonderful friend Yabbas Turd, GIRUY, stop dissing the team and enjoy the rest of your night. Absolute Bell enders. 

There's far worse than MJC on there in my view. Yodo. Wellfan. But the mods allow it and they are very selective in who they call out. Steelboy drags that entire forum down in my view. 

We had some very nice passages of play up until the first goal, which was a straight goalie to goalie punt.

County should have taken a few of their chances, but that's not our fault. Their goal was similar to some of the chances livi had last week, where they were able to counter attack pretty much unchecked all the way to our box. I'm not sure what the cause of that is, but I'll say it's halliday (who was a wee bit better this week). 

Sam Nicholson is fun, I hope we can keep him.

Half of our topless fas could do with sharing their dinners with the other half.

Didn't see it but hard to argue with 5-1 - basically Laidlaw threw us the initiative, if not the games, but we were there to take it and saw it out.

Thrilled Davor and McGinn got their goals, Bair boosted his stats and Spittal is ending on a high.

Fingers crossed we continue our form on Wednesday and County don't win in Perth.

The board must be feeling exceptionally vindicated on SK btw...but a bad summer and pressure will be on again. Football, eh.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ropy said:

2 wins, Vale straight back in? 

Based on what we know of Kettlewell strong possibility he won’t touch a winning team, however Blackburn may have an appearance element to his loan agreement.

It seems we’re giving Paton the best chance to compete for a place in the Canadian squad.

I suppose games like that you’d like to see Ferrie and other academy kids used. Certainly after our third went in.

Is Ebiye no that good after all?

Edited by Vietnam91

8 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

If it was the only stinker we wouldn't be bottom 6.

We rescued a lot of draws from bad performances. Particularly against St Johnstone. Biereth last minnute equaliser was huge because we had been completely shite but we stopped them getting the win.

I guess it depends how you define "stinker" - but it's the only game this season in which we've lost by more than two goals. I've had a  "better the devil you know" approach to Kettlewell throughout most of the season, but that's the one game that I thought he may have got his jotters after.

In terms of other "stinkers". You could potentially call the defeat away to Livi one, although they were only at the start of their poor trajectory at that point. Being 4-0 down to Aberdeen at half time was a bad one too, but we did claw that one back slightly.

Aside from that, each result we've had this season in isolation has broadly been fine. That's why I've been fairly relaxed on our league position for the most part (I did have a few wobbles in December). You rarely hear of a team in relegation contention who haven't had a good few horsings. You also never hear of a team who've drawn too many matches going down.

11 hours ago, Reidy said:

McGinn and Davor scoring makes it (i think) 20 different goal scorers in all competitions this season. I’ve absolutely nothing to back this up with but that *feels* like it must be considerably more than any other season?! 

I'm the type of person who sees a stat like that and then sadly looks it up 😂 this season has been our highest in the SPL / SPFL era, but Alexander's side of 21/22 had 19 goalscorers which you could bump up to 20 by including "own goal". The number of goalscorers has definitely had a surge in recent years, which I suspect the league cup group section and lots of busy January transfer windows explains.

Blair Spittal is a great wee player. We're gonna miss him badly.

I love wee Davor anaw. Get him in the first XI

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Is Ebiye no that good after all?

He had played an entire season before arriving with us; why risk playing him when he could get injured, when on the quite substantial evidence of our recent performances he's not been really been needed (Dundee aside).

There's absolutely no need for him to be up to speed yet and I'll be looking to judge him next season, not this.

Kettlewell took what, 3 months to bed Davor into the team rather than throwing him in straight away? Now look at him. If we have the luxury of time to afford players to get used to the team and their surroundings, we should use it.

Like many others have pointed out, he's been on the park for about 12.5 minutes (on average) in all of his appearances and has scored one and should have had an assist had Oli Shaw not been Oli FUCKING Shaw.

Edited by StAndrew7

11 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Some bargains there IMO

An interesting insight into ropys fashion sense.

47 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Blair Spittal is a great wee player. We're gonna miss him badly.

I love wee Davor anaw. Get him in the first XI

If they're wee then that helps get you on their side. If on the other hand they're a big lump they're struggling to win affection and have to earn it. 

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

If they're wee then that helps get you on their side. If on the other hand they're a big lump they're struggling to win affection and have to earn it. 

Wee Dougie was a star.