Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

24 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

We hit the post, had two cleared off the line and missed a penalty. We should have won comfortably, in all honesty.

There was a spell at the start of the second half where we created some chances, which brought out some incredible last ditch tackles and saves from St Johnstone. If we'd scored then, I think we'd have gone on to win it. Tbh if the penalty went in (and Bair definitely needs to work on his technique, it relies too much on a really clean strike which you won't always get with his side foot style) I think we'd have won.

Once that period early in the second half was over, Levein immediately took Clark off and put Considine on to turn it into a 6-3-1 or whatever to see it out and they did.

Agree with this. Thought at the time Bair's penalty wasn't up to much, having watched it back, while it's not the best penalty, it's a really good save by Mitov. 

9 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf there were a few times they threatened to get in behind. There were a couple of really good recoveries from Bevis but in general aye, even Kelly's 'wondersave' (which was an outrageous stop to give him his due) was our own doing with us leathering a clearance off Clark.

Anyway, it's kind of been missed in the whole end of season post-mortem (and I literally missed it as I'd fucked off up the road with 5 mins to go) but it was actually a nice finish from Ebiye for the goal.

Aye, I said that at the time; opened his foot well, was in the right place to get on the end of the cross. There's definitely some promise there although his first touch at times isn't great; on a few occasions he had a heavy touch, he did immediately win the ball back though. He reminds me a bit of Bair at the start of the season, although he's not the same build/type of striker, clearly.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Agree with this. Thought at the time Bair's penalty wasn't up to much, having watched it back, while it's not the best penalty, it's a really good save by Mitov. 

I don't know how regular a taker he has been in his youth but he seems to vary his technique - to a greater or lesser degree - each time. And without giving the impression he's doing it from a position of confidence.

Yesterday's effort was really poor - you stutter to watch the goalie, Mitov was halfway to the post before he hit it and it still went that way with the power removed because he interrupted his run and in the same place as three of the four he's taken.

Obviously even 'poor' penalties find the net lots of times, which covers errors for a while, but he needs to do a lot of work if he's to continue with them.

Last season we had the oddity of tonnes of free kick scorers, there can't have been many seasons where three different guys all missing penalties.

Edited by Handsome_Devil

2 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I don't know how regular a taker he has been in his youth but he seems to vary his technique - to a greater or lesser degree - each time. And without giving the impression he's doing it from a position of confidence.

Yesterday's effort was really poor - you stutter to watch the goalie, Mitov was halfway to the post before he hit it and it still went that way with the power removed because he interrupted his run and in the same place as three of the four he's taken.

Obviously even 'poor' penalties find the net lots of times, which covers errors for a while, but he needs to do a lot of work if he's to continue with them.

Last season we had the oddity of tonnes of free kick scorers, there can't have been many seasons where three different guys all missing penalties.

Aye our penalties in general haven't been great this season. Agreed about Bair, I did think it looked worse than it was at the time, keeper reads it well, although as you say Bair sort of played into his hands a bit. Reminded me a wee bit of his miss at Dundee, even with Gent storming in with the rebound, only yesterday's ended up over the bar. 

21 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Anyway, it's kind of been missed in the whole end of season post-mortem (and I literally missed it as I'd fucked off up the road with 5 mins to go) but it was actually a nice finish from Ebiye for the goal.

It's the type of "poachers" goal that his highlights reel was full of. When I think of the number of crosses that Gent fizzed in over the season with no takers, having someone like that could have been handy because for all Bair had a great time once he hit his stride, he's no poacher... 

15 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Not sure if anyone is interested but It looks like we will be having a pre season freind with FC Twente and DSVD Deuringen at the end of June.

That's a funny looking GTF list.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

For Motherwell supporters GTF Day > Transfer Deadline Day.

Wee guy in his motor taking blurry shots of Olly Shaw leaving.

Once he's gone I want a full search of the premises. Can't risk that he's hiding in a filing cabinet somewhere again.

Dundee released their GTF list a short time ago, my heart dropped to my sphincter when it said Ricki Lamie has returned to his parent club, forgot he will be heading back.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

That's a funny looking GTF list.

I'd imagine we'll have some End of Season content to publish before the GTF list goes out.

(I see that's Livi announced theirs now)

35 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

(I see that's Livi announced theirs now)

Depending on how we plan on announcing any pre-contracts, we may also think it diplomatic/polite to let certain clubs announce certain departures before we say anything ourselves.

4 hours ago, Swello said:

It's the type of "poachers" goal that his highlights reel was full of. When I think of the number of crosses that Gent fizzed in over the season with no takers, having someone like that could have been handy because for all Bair had a great time once he hit his stride, he's no poacher... 

Considering his very limited game time Ebiye has shown to me he can finish. If we can get him fully up to speed pre- season I think he will be a very handy addition.