Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Not that I love him as a player by any means but when Paton and Slattery were out and Halliday was blatantly rushed back, would he not have been able to fill some minutes off the bench? His injury seemed very convenient/dubious.

I think SK - for better or worse - can be a bit biblical in banishing people and while nobody will cry over McKinstry, Maguire etc, I'm not 100% convinced it was the best use of our limited resources.

Perhaps when it's exclusively his squad from next season it'll be different.

Who has Kettlewell banished? I think the players that went out on loan such as Maguire and Tierney needed the game time elsewhere. They could have sat on the bench for us. As for McKinstry some fans thought he was great and others didn't. He made 24 appearances for us over the season.

I personally don't think McKinstry was good enough and I'll say the same about Tierney and Maguire. 

3 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think Ketts' ability/willingness to shut people out + move them on (mainly with Hammel's duds but also Wilkinson, Souare etc) just makes Oli Shaw's staying power even funnier to me. I'm almost sort of warming to him as a comic figure that we somehow can't get rid of despite his loan literally ending in January.

I thought that Wilkinson didn't settle here and wanted to return to England. That's been said quite often on social media. 

I don't think he was shut out by Kettlewell. 

4 hours ago, Wellin said:

Who has Kettlewell banished? I think the players that went out on loan such as Maguire and Tierney needed the game time elsewhere. They could have sat on the bench for us. As for McKinstry some fans thought he was great and others didn't. He made 24 appearances for us over the season.

I personally don't think McKinstry was good enough and I'll say the same about Tierney and Maguire. 

Mckinstry was our poty until mid-February and played about 20 minutes after. Yes, he didn't fit into the system to start but given we regularly change five outfield players and SK often goes on about rewarding application with game time, getting less than Jack Atchison raised an eyebrow.

Similarly he might not want Maguire but he's still a (semi) established pro in the squad under contract and there's been nothing publicly to suggest he'd give anything other than his best. And literally going without when we were desperately short, or picking Halliday when he could hardly run, is again a statement.

Players all over the country were relied upon at times in the last months even though they'd be leaving their club in summer, it's not unreasonable given our injury circumstances to ask if Maguire couldn't have done the same.

12 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Depending on how we plan on announcing any pre-contracts, we may also think it diplomatic/polite to let certain clubs announce certain departures before we say anything ourselves.

FWIW there's apparently an "upgrade" happening to the registration system, so new ones won't be processed for another week or so.

If that's true then it's likely some clubs have signings done but won't announce them until the paper work is actually all done and through the system. Different with releases as you know that's 100% happening as a club.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, eliphas said:

As a complete side bar, I gave the game a heavy dinghy yesterday for reasons mainly to do with beer and sun, did Barry Maguire come out at the end for a walkabout?

On the subject of players who may/may not have been conspicuous by their absence - I've already mentioned that I was away up the road before full time so may well have missed him but looking at that photo and the associated footage from the walkabout, I don't see Andy Halliday anywhere?

Edited by capt_oats

Just now, capt_oats said:

On the subject of players who may/may not have been conspicuous by their absence - I've already mentioned that I was away up the road before full time but looking at that photo and the associated footage from the walkabout, I don't see Andy Halliday anywhere?

I'm sure he was walking around the pitch after the game. Maybe just not in the photo. 

Did Rangers have their "top of the table in February" open top bus parade or something? Maybe he shot off sharpish for that. 

3 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

I'm sure he was walking around the pitch after the game. Maybe just not in the photo. 

Did Rangers have their "top of the table in February" open top bus parade or something? Maybe he shot off sharpish for that. 

Ah! There he is.

I've just found him in the background over Nicholson's shoulder, next to Slattery. Stand down everyone.

Screenshot2024-05-21at09_54_35.thumb.png.6e95d7bf88622cdd91457d609f445543.png

14 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Anybody interested in Joel  Nouble just released by Livingston ? Seems to have lost his way a bit but I would think he would be an upgrade on Obika or Shaw.

f**k no.

43 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

On the subject of players who may/may not have been conspicuous by their absence - I've already mentioned that I was away up the road before full time so may well have missed him but looking at that photo and the associated footage from the walkabout, I don't see Andy Halliday anywhere?

I see you found him but he's probably shot off early to get on the Radio and talk about Rangers. 

14 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Anybody interested in Joel  Nouble just released by Livingston ? Seems to have lost his way a bit but I would think he would be an upgrade on Obika or Shaw.

By simply having a working set of legs he'd be an upgrade on Obika. And by not being called Oliver Shaw he'd be an upgrade on Oliver Shaw. 

I appreciate neither of these are a high bar to clear. 

5 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

By simply having a working set of legs he'd be an upgrade on Obika. And by not being called Oliver Shaw he'd be an upgrade on Oliver Shaw. 

Both those things are true but essentially he was unplayable for the opposition for a few months of his career and unplayable for his own team because he does bugger all the rest of the time.

I appreciate taking guys with potential who are inconsistent or have stalled and polishing them is a key market for us but I reckon his one, brief, good spell was simply an unrepeatable fluke.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Both those things are true but essentially he was unplayable for the opposition for a few months of his career and unplayable for his own team because he does bugger all the rest of the time.

I appreciate taking guys with potential who are inconsistent or have stalled and polishing them is a key market for us but I reckon his one, brief, good spell was simply an unrepeatable fluke.

Tbf, I think Martindale seemingly losing his mind and generally acting the c**t had a big impact on Nouble's regression.

That said, if I have a concern about Kettlewell it's 100% that he develops some sort of God Complex and thinks, much like Robinson did, that he's a better coach than he is so we see a raft of utterly mid players signing because Ketts has a belief that he'll be able to turn them into something they're not.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

I see you found him but he's probably shot off early to get on the Radio and talk about Rangers. 

Maybe round to Steven Lawless’ for a fag and a greet.

I just went for it and signed up.

Good opportunity to play at Fir Park.

I will be blowing out of my arse, but usually get a second wind.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

POTM, I voted for Nicholson for that one kick of the ball 

Voted tactically for Gent. If he has to come back up to collect the award he might think its a waste of time not to hang about for another season.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Tbf, I think Martindale seemingly losing his mind and generally acting the c**t had a big impact on Nouble's regression.

Aye, I'm surprised reading so many on here and Twitter talking as if Nouble is shite.

He spent last Summer getting told he needed to leave, got left out as Martindale tried to force him out the door, then got played at wing back on the wrong side for most of the season. Then spent January being told he needs to leave again.

No wonder he looked shite and uninterested.