Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

15 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Disgraceful wages too, below the living wage. Very poor from the club. 

Illegal. Am sure they'll need to adjust the salary. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Unless I'm missing something it's just above the national living wage? But just below the 'real' living wage one?

National - (11.44 x 37.5) X 52 = 22, 308

Real = 23, 400

Wages for what a media assistant should get paid in real life a different argument granted.

God I want us to sign someone and for a to start again

Edited by eliphas

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Motherwell Fans: looking forward to a new Keeper being announced 

Motherwell socials:

Can we take a minute to enjoy that, in fact, *none* of them are actually wearing claret and amber...:lol:

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Unless I'm missing something it's just above the national living wage? But just below the 'real' living wage one?

Real = 23, 400

Wages for what a media assistant should get paid in real life a different argument granted.

Yeah, I think it's above minimum wage and below the living wage so I don't think it's illegal.

I've no doubt some young fan will do it and I hope they have a blast but I think it's a bit cheeky from the club...it's basically taking advantage of goodwill. Covering a vaguely proper wage - especially given what's been asked for - shouldn't be beyond us.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I know it's semantics, but it's below the real living wage but not the national living wage. There's only 56p/hour in it, but it does make a ~£900 difference over the year.

Still poor, though. It's £900.

Edited by StAndrew7

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Yeah, I think it's above minimum wage and below the living wage so I don't think it's illegal.

I've no doubt some young fan will do it and I hope they have a blast but I think it's a bit cheeky from the club...it's basically taking advantage of goodwill. Covering a vaguely proper wage - especially given what's been asked for - shouldn't be beyond us.

You're right. As long as its above min wage it's not breaking the law. 

16 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Real = 23, 400

Yeah, it meets minimum wage, but as a club aspiring to improve people's lives and be a beacon for the community, not offering the "real" living wage is poor.

As a media graduate it pisses me off seeing the amount of unpaid or poorly paid work people are expected to do to make it in the industry, for a community club to try and short change someone is very poor. 

Knowing the people who are on the Well Society board, I would hope that they would be making representations to the club to be, at worst, a real living wage employer @JayMFCnot sure if that would be something you would be able to bring up or already have?

4 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Knowing the people who are on the Well Society board, I would hope that they would be making representations to the club to be, at worst, a real living wage employer @JayMFCnot sure if that would be something you would be able to bring up or already have?

It came up at AGM a couple of years ago, I believe we decided against becoming accredited as a living wage employer because of issues with contractors or something. Perhaps someone else remembers exactly.

But I agree totally, it's a needless black mark not to pay our own full-time employees at least the going rate.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It came up at AGM a couple of years ago, I believe we decided against becoming accredited as a living wage employer because of issues with contractors or something. Perhaps someone else remembers exactly.

But I agree totally, it's a needless black mark not to pay our own full-time employees at least the going rate.

Aye, it's to do with anyone who's affiliated with the club's operations; so we would need to ensure that anyone working on a match day/in hospitality during the week, even contractors (e.g. kiosk staff, stewards etc.) would need to also come from accredited living wage employers.

On one hand, it's probably a really good job for a recent media graduate to get their foot in the door. 

On the other, the wage is a disgrace. Anyone who takes the job will be moving elsewhere after 12-18 months and the club will be on the hunt again. 

Probably a debate for a different topic but I've never understood employers who try to hire for fairly important positions on the cheap. Pay people what they're worth and surely it benefits everyone. 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Aye, it's to do with anyone who's affiliated with the club's operations; so we would need to ensure that anyone working on a match day/in hospitality during the week, even contractors (e.g. kiosk staff, stewards etc.) would need to also come from accredited living wage employers.

Am sure stewards get paid more now (obviously as min wage has risen) and some companies do pay better than others but when I stewarded at Fir Park in 2017 I got 7.20 an hour (wasn't employed by MFC) and the difference between the rate for having your SIA badge and not was 30p an hour. When I got my badge my rate of pay was supposed to go up and it didn't. (I did raise it with the company concerned but no one sorted it). 

I believe it has changed now but back then you also had to be at the stadium an hour before to collect uniform and you didn't get paid for that time either or travel time (which some companies do pay) and you had to meet as a group with supervisors after for about 30 mins and you didn't get paid for that time either. 

I believe some security staff are or were employed by MFC - I know they advertised for in house stewards in the past and pretty sure folk employed by MFC got paid better than we did (not that that would have been hard as we got min wage or just above). 

Edited by Wellin

4 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

I had a proper rant on the fan survey about the state of the Wilkinson post yesterday, this just keeps adding to my rage. 😅

I also shared my thoughts on the *comms* question but vaguely related and I suspect this is probably a testament to the previous incumbents who prioritised this sort of thing but anyway, this was thrown up on my TL from Rico:

Posted (edited)

Liam Kelly wasn't technically our highest earner in the squad but he was picking up an extra 22 grand a year to run our Twitter

Edit- I've now got this stuck in my head

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Liam Kelly wasn't technically our highest earner in the squad but he was picking up an extra 22 grand a year to run our Twitter

Edit- I've now got this stuck in my head

A banger. The Rakes were brilliant man. 

20 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

A banger. The Rakes were brilliant man. 

Saw them a few times. Brilliant live. Was also at an MTV show they recorded. One of the support bands was called The Testicicles. 😁