Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Seeing a few generic EFL jobber teams are trying to sign Shaun Hutchinson... come on Motherwelll we can't be having that happen to our future captain. (Hoping to harness the power of The Thread here)

8 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

I did briefly wonder if I was being whooshed there, given that you always seem to know fucking everything, but no, I thought, be polite and answer the man. 

image.gif.6bb4fdb227df8fd8eacc731cb48a5deb.gif

10 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Seeing a few generic EFL jobber teams are trying to sign Shaun Hutchinson... come on Motherwelll we can't be having that happen to our future captain. (Hoping to harness the power of The Thread here)

On the subject of defenders, I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of hand wringing and pearl clutching going on over on Steelemen the other day (presumably after SODs contract extension was announced).

Someone asked the question along the lines of "how much meaningful change to the defence can there be now!" (I'm paraphrasing there). Anyway, it occurred to me that between Balmer (last seen at TopGolf Glasgow yesterday), the excellently named Johnny Koutroumbis and Archie Davies so far all the concrete links we've heard in the press have been for...defenders.

I mean, while we've clearly retained a few bodies from last season's squad (none of whom should have been a surprise to anyone) there are still plenty of gaps to fill.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

On the subject of defenders, I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of hand wringing and pearl clutching going on over on Steelemen the other day (presumably after SODs contract extension was announced).

Someone asked the question along the lines of "how much meaningful change to the defence can there be now!" (I'm paraphrasing there). Anyway, it occurred to me that between Balmer (last seen at TopGolf Glasgow yesterday), the excellently named Johnny Koutroumbis and Archie Davies so far all the concrete links we've heard in the press have been for...defenders.

I mean, while we've clearly retained a few bodies from last season's squad (none of whom should have been a surprise to anyone) there are still plenty of gaps to fill.

Folk really can't seem to grasp "squad rebuild" eh? I think keeping some experienced heads around is a good move. 

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

The defence which was a shambles last season was basically the defence which was excellent under SK spring 2023, minus Butcher and not quite as strong at wing back.

A little change can go a long way here and I'd say we're probably more likely to get that positive change through a new keeper and leader in the centre than completely starting from scratch.

Time will tell ofc but for me this is a make or break call for the manager. We're not going to score the same amount of goals again (being realistic), so a few clean sheets and conceding only one sees us fine (because we'll always be gifted a few goals), a repeat of last season's defensive debacle and we'll have a new face in the dugout by Xmas.

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Anyway, it occurred to me that between Balmer (last seen at TopGolf Glasgow yesterday)

Driving Ace Ventura GIF

Wee drive by pap job on the M74 aye?

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think the fact that we're changing our goalkeeper and will be bringing in (at least some) defenders is as much change as we could ever realistically hope for.

Having sat through most of it last season, I'm honestly none the wiser about why we lost so many shite goals but I suspect Kelly moving on might be the most significant thing one way or the other..

Just now, Swello said:

I think the fact that we're changing our goalkeeper and will be bringing in (at least some) defenders is as much change as we could ever realistically hope for.

Having sat through most of it last season, I'm honestly none the wiser about why we lost so many shite goals but I suspect Kelly moving on might be the most significant thing one way or the other..

I never felt like Kelly communicated that well as a keeper or commanded his box as confidently as others we've seen play for us (the lack of communication between him and Bevis against St Johnstone is that in a microcosm). Even Graeme Smith was loud; flashbacks to COACH!!! COAAAAACCHHH!!!!!

The only time I ever saw Kelly do anything resembling the above was immediately after losing another shite goal, because, of course, they were never his fault, but of those around him.

3 minutes ago, Alanos said:

Ryan Jack. Yes or no, wether he’s interested or not.

... maybe? I'm not sure he's the kind of midfielder we should be prioritising. Would rather we got another 10/AM in first. He'll probably get a good deal down south, or end up back at Aberdeen.

2 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

... maybe? I'm not sure he's the kind of midfielder we should be prioritising. Would rather we got another 10/AM in first. He'll probably get a good deal down south, or end up back at Aberdeen.

Not entirely convinced the Aberdeen fans would welcome him back tbh. 

14 minutes ago, Alanos said:

Ryan Jack. Yes or no, wether he’s interested or not.

Injury prone h*n that we couldn't afford? hard pass on that.

23 minutes ago, Swello said:

Injury prone h*n that we couldn't afford? hard pass on that.

Aye, we've already got Andy Halliday to fill that role. Jack will probably end up with McInnes at Killie. 

Posted (edited)

Ryan Jack is a very good footballer, when his legs haven't fallen off. If he was fit and wanted to sign for us it'd be an absolute no-brainer. 

He does look a bit like a cartoon mouse though, it has to be said. 

Edited by MurrayWell