Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

21 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Guy behind me "McGhee, Pittodrie, 7-0"

We scored twice that night, I thought the comeback was on at 6-2. You’ve seen it done.

Edited by ropy

2 minutes ago, ropy said:

We scored twice that night, I thought the comeback was on at 6-2. You’ve seen it done.

2 caveats, I'm deaf and I'd conditioned myself to forget the result

8 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

All in all a worthwhile couple of hours and a massive well done to the society for putting it on and for the manager and CEO for taking the time and some difficult questions on the chin. And again to Graeme for keeping things on track as much as possible when it got a bit heated and awkward. 

Firstly, thanks for taking the trouble to attend, and, the time and effort to report.

What deeply disturbs myself is that the Executive Board voted unanimously on the aborted offer.

Whilst I've performed roles in operations, commissioning, sourcing and risk assessment, since I returned to UK from China in 2015, I've mostly worked on design projects within consumer goods and pharmaceuticals. Projects in St Petersburg, Morpeth, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Cork, and, now, Denmark

Whether it be a GBP 10k diaphragm pump, to a seven figure air compressor set, everything purchased on these products has to be properly specified via datasheets, URSs, and so on. Each document prepared has Author/Checker Approver boxes to be initialled and dated. Any  document revisions are also captured.

That six or seven or eight individuals risked seriously jeopardising the club due to their lack of due diligence, is, in my view, both astonishing, and, disturbing.

I suppose some good has emerged in that we now know the Animal Farm phrase; four feet good, two feet bad, which may have been a blind spot for some of us at the start of the year.....

The stat that SK is now the third longest serving manager in the league is absolutely mental - he hasn't even had a proper season yet and statistically he's probably approaching the end of his reign!

The first round of games completes early November and we then play St Johnstone before the international break. Unless we're becoming alarmingly adrift, he should get until at least then before judgements are made and probably a game or two after - we'd then still have time to get a new man in before the window if needed.

Obviously I always hope we do well but a strong enough start to justify a new contract by that international break would be ideal - if only to be contrarian, I really want to roll the dice on breaking the 18-24 month cycle and seeing how one manager, one (literally in our case!) system, getting to know the club, the players etc does over four to five years rather than repeating this scenario till the end of time.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Obviously I always hope we do well but a strong enough start to justify a new contract by that international break would be ideal - if only to be contrarian, I really want to roll the dice on breaking the 18-24 month cycle and seeing how one manager, one (literally in our case!) system, getting to know the club, the players etc does over four to five years rather than repeating this scenario till the end of time.

Recent history in terms of appointments over 3 years are McCall and Robinson; so top-6, cup finals and Europe hopefully... The only others since the 80s to last longer than 3 years (in a single stint, I'm not counting McGhee) are Butcher, McLeish and McLean. Bit mad, that.

5 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Recent history in terms of appointments over 3 years are McCall and Robinson; so top-6, cup finals and Europe hopefully... The only others since the 80s to last longer than 3 years (in a single stint, I'm not counting McGhee) are Butcher, McLeish and McLean. Bit mad, that.

It's obviously just the modern way of it but it just seems odd...you basically chance rolling the dice and landing on a six of a manager who nails it instantly rather than trusting any sort of process.

The current comparison to Killie is interesting where McInnes didn't exactly set the heather alight in salvaging promotion (though did just enough) and was miserable in the first season back (though he and their pitch did just enough) yet was backed with a huge contract, which raised eyebrows at the time. He's clearly got more a record than SK to justify such faith but you wonder if others might look and learn a little...you need to think Aberdeen won't, should they end up struggling again, but Hibs will surely give a club legend time in his first job. It's never boring, at least!

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It's obviously just the modern way of it but it just seems odd...you basically chance rolling the dice and landing on a six of a manager who nails it instantly rather than trusting any sort of process.

The current comparison to Killie is interesting where McInnes didn't exactly set the heather alight in salvaging promotion (though did just enough) and was miserable in the first season back (though he and their pitch did just enough) yet was backed with a huge contract, which raised eyebrows at the time. He's clearly got more a record than SK to justify such faith but you wonder if others might look and learn a little...you need to think Aberdeen won't, should they end up struggling again, but Hibs will surely give a club legend time in his first job. It's never boring, at least!

McInnes is a good comparison for me.

Broadly; brought in like you say to do the job of getting promotion; tick.

They were then hamstrung by the two year deals on a bunch of guys who were, frankly, not good premiership players, that they'd had to offer because they were a championship side/had a dumpling manager who wanted them in Wright. McInnes couldn't shift them so got them comfortably safe in the end; tick.

A full season with, quite simply, a better collection of players to supplement the players that he still has but has improved and refined their role within the team, to finish in Europe; tick.

Obviously you shouldn't stick with a duff manager when the improvement clearly isn't coming, but it does highlight the importance of a bit of patience with them as they build. Clubs in Scotland can't really do overnight transformations.

Aware that Kettlewell isn't everyone's bag, and that's fine too, but this season really is the test for whether he's floating or sinking, for me. For all the gnashing of teeth last season brought, ultimately we finished roughly where we "should", so can he take us to a finish which is in the "could?".

2 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Aware that Kettlewell isn't everyone's bag, and that's fine too, but this season really is the test for whether he's floating or sinking, for me. For all the gnashing of teeth last season brought, ultimately we finished roughly where we "should", so can he take us to a finish which is in the "could?".

Yeah, I've said before that it took us to this summer to fully emerge from the error made in May 22 and start afresh with a squad the manager wants on a budget not constrained by paying off previous regimes. Had we felt the need to bin SK with 18 months left, we'd have continued that... instead we held our nerve, got back to level and he now needs a fair shot to see where, as you say, he could take us.

That said, the expectations have now changed - which is not to say eighth or ninth is an automatic sacking but if he's signed the entire squad, including a hefty fee or two, he needs to produce something in terms of at least fighting for sixth, a run in a cup or enough youths playing regularly we can point to a strong 25/26 or transfer windfalls. He has credit in the bank (for me at least) but future expectations matter more, especially when he himself is ooc next year.

14 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

he needs to produce something in terms of at least fighting for sixth

Despite struggling like f**k to get a win for months last season we were still in with a shot of top 6 right up until the split 

14 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

Despite struggling like f**k to get a win for months last season we were still in with a shot of top 6 right up until the split 

Kind of...I mean a genuine throughout the season there or thereabouts challenge, not a 25/1 shot in April because we've came from nowhere with three wins in rounds 29-31.

It goes without saying he needs to avoid another three-month winless streak too!

9 minutes ago, Jastons6 said:

I think its more we had 10 points from the first 12 including a win at Tynecastle and everything was looking very rosy. It then took us until Ne'erday at Easter Road to accumulate the next 10 points, 18 games later.

A very unexpected win at Ibrox kept us in the hunt for a weekend longer than we should have.

Without putting words in @Handsome_Devil's mouth, I think it's as much as how we go about chasing top 6 rather than relying on everyone around us being equally toilet.

Was fairly sure I already had an account on here but after several failed attempts I thought it was sensible just to set up a new one. 

To echo others, great work from @thisGRAEME hosting last night. I thought that Stuart and Brian handled it quite well last night with some difficult questions. It was great to see so many Society members sign up and come along. Something we 100% need going forward is increased engagement so this was a real positive for me. 

One thing that's not been mentioned that I think deserves a nod. The work the Heritage Project are doing is excellent and I look forward to seeing more on that front. Really enjoyed chatting to them last night and digging into old stories from well before my time. 

6 hours ago, Dan Electro said:

Firstly, thanks for taking the trouble to attend, and, the time and effort to report.

What deeply disturbs myself is that the Executive Board voted unanimously on the aborted offer.

Whilst I've performed roles in operations, commissioning, sourcing and risk assessment, since I returned to UK from China in 2015, I've mostly worked on design projects within consumer goods and pharmaceuticals. Projects in St Petersburg, Morpeth, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Cork, and, now, Denmark

Whether it be a GBP 10k diaphragm pump, to a seven figure air compressor set, everything purchased on these products has to be properly specified via datasheets, URSs, and so on. Each document prepared has Author/Checker Approver boxes to be initialled and dated. Any  document revisions are also captured.

That six or seven or eight individuals risked seriously jeopardising the club due to their lack of due diligence, is, in my view, both astonishing, and, disturbing.

I suppose some good has emerged in that we now know the Animal Farm phrase; four feet good, two feet bad, which may have been a blind spot for some of us at the start of the year.....

What's a diaphragm pump..sounds dirty.

41 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Heritage Project... is that what we are calling Dickie, McMahon and Feely?

On that note, and echoing part of what @Dan Electro mentioned too. It still slightly annoys me (unless I've missed it..entirely possible) that we basically are happy with Feely sticking about even though he voted the way he did. Surely his position is untenable?

Not suggesting we e get rid of everyone, and maybe Feely provides some handover until the next set of nominations,  but are we essentially settling into the narrative that McMahon/Dickie = Bad. Everyone else on the exec board just got hoodwinked and can stick around because they are nice people?

Edited by eliphas

7 minutes ago, eliphas said:

On that note, and echoing part of what @Dan Electro mentioned too. It still slightly annoys me (unless I've missed it..entirely possible) that we basically are happy with Feely sticking about even though he voted the way he did. 

Not suggesting we e get rid of everyone but are we essentially settling into the narrative that McMahon/Dickie = Bad. Everyone else on the exec board just got hoodwinked and can stick around?

Who said we're happy, or that it's not going to be addressed at the WS AGM/done in the appropriate manner? We're only two weeks from the investment being pulled; sorting stuff like this takes time, as frustrating/difficult/lengthy as it might be.

Personally, I've got no problem with Feely remaining on the WS Board until the end of his term/his time to seek re-election. I do take issue with him remaining Chair/as a representative on the Exec Board after the investment debacle, however.

Dissenting and differing voices on any Board managing a group/company/charity/whatever is a healthy thing; otherwise stuff gets nodded through without any significantly robust debate or scrutiny. See the Exec Board and the investment etc., hence my issue with him remaining on there.

Edited by StAndrew7

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

There he is!

Was about to post wondering if he'd fucked his ACL tripping over the drinks trolley on the way over or something.