Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

We're quoted as one of the teams who "have also considered the possibility of trying to get a deal done until the end of the season...."

Quite the hedge that. :lol:

Edited by capt_oats

32 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Was he not frozen out a bit by Alexander too/not played much? I remember there being a fair bit of discontent amongst the squad with him towards the end of that season.

Yeah one of many. It seems Alexander would go through a cycle of being upset with most of the squad. A few must have left toast crumbs in the butter.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Aye, I'm not having we shouldn't have let Mark O'Hara go become a thing.  He was, in the main, pretty pish for us.  That's ok, he's obviously found the right club for him and good luck to him.  These things happen sometimes.  We've seen it happen 100 times with us; sometimes a player just fits at a certain club and thrives (see John Sutton (Motherwell) vs John Sutton (Hearts) for prime example).

Stephen Robinson doing great things again which is also great to see.  He definitely ran out of road at Motherwell and it was the right time to part ways but chuffed to see him pick things up again.  He knows what he's doing at this level.  

I agree. I liked Mark O'Hara but he never settled anywhere on the park for us. 

I liked Mark O'Hara. My favourite thing about him is the amount of people that think he's got veneers/Turkey teeth, not realising he wears a mouthguard.

44 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

Was he not frozen out a bit by Alexander too/not played much? I remember there being a fair bit of discontent amongst the squad with him towards the end of that season.

I mean, it doesn't seem a stretch that Grezza would have fallen out with him but equally he had an entirely shite time with injuries while he was at the club. Both things can be true.

He had ongoing issues with concussion under Robinson and various injuries in his last season.

In fact, if you look back at his playing history he missed a chunk of games just after he signed on loan and didn't actually make a start until mid-December 2019.

In his last season at the club he made 19 league appearances which amounted to 1315 mins.

IIRC the story was that he was one of the highest earners at the club and Robinson had chucked money to get him permanently so it was hardly a surprise that we weren't falling over ourselves to renew his deal.

27 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Yeah one of many. It seems Alexander would go through a cycle of being upset with most of the squad. A few must have left toast crumbs in the butter.

Cross contamination of butter and condiments is a cardinal sin, so I completely agree with his actions if that's the case.

Edited by StAndrew7

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Georgie confirmed by Barnsley.

I'm heading down for the Northampton game at the end of the month so I'll report on Georgie's progress then.  Looks like he'll be Nicky Cadden's replacement at Oakwell.

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Georgie confirmed by Barnsley.

As a long time Tyke (since before they made the PL in the late 90s) I'm delighted with that one, tbf.

@Desp any chance you can get me a strip when you're down? 👀

Edited by StAndrew7

Just now, StAndrew7 said:

@Desp any chance you can get my a strip when you're down? 👀

You seem like a man who'd be all over the new 3rd kit...

What's the story for yourself re Barnsley?  Got family down there so I'm down a couple of times a season and they're up for 'Well games once/twice a season.

12 minutes ago, Desp said:

You seem like a man who'd be all over the new 3rd kit...

What's the story for yourself re Barnsley?  Got family down there so I'm down a couple of times a season and they're up for 'Well games once/twice a season.

I may be a toast deviant, sir, but that 3rd kit is beyond even my palate.

It's completely random; Motherwell were away on a Saturday in 1996; my brother and I were watching the vidiprinter on teletext with Grandstand on or summit. We made a decision that the next two teams to score, we'd support.

I think he ended up with Newcastle and I got Barnsley. Instantly became obsessed; my parents managed to get me a home strip for the PL season from before the days of t'interwebs and it remains one of the greatest presents I've ever had. Up there with my Action Man jeep.

Can still remember a cold midweek game (I think) at Fir Park when SCOREFLASH came up and we were beating Man Utd 1-0 in the FA cup. Ended 3-2 to us, I think. Made all the sweeter by my brother's mate sitting behind us in the Main Stand family section being a United fan. 😄

Edited by StAndrew7

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Pfttt ya pair of English team weirdos

Sorry I'm not as cool as you with yer Italian nonsense & American fitba.

47 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, it doesn't seem a stretch that Grezza would have fallen out with him but equally he had an entirely shite time with injuries while he was at the club. Both things can be true.

He had ongoing issues with concussion under Robinson and various injuries in his last season.

In fact, if you look back at his playing history he missed a chunk of games just after he signed on loan and didn't actually make a start until mid-December 2019.

In his last season at the club he made 19 league appearances which amounted to 1315 mins.

IIRC the story was that he was one of the highest earners at the club and Robinson had chucked money to get him permanently so it was hardly a surprise that we weren't falling over ourselves to renew his deal.

Yeah, I liked O'Hara in flashes with us but for the various reasons mentioned (bit younger than he is now, didn't really have a position nailed, Grezza in general) he wasn't a standout. One of these ones I think you just say it was fine he moved on and fair play to him for having a great couple of years at St. Mirren.

Not a similar player, but similar to Spittal, I guess, in that Ross County probably didn't think Spittal would have the season he had for us last season when they were loaning him to Partick not long before. Tbf, a few us probably didn't think he'd have the season he did either after his first few months.

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

Sorry I'm not as cool as you with yer Italian nonsense & American fitba.

#ForzaCasteddu
#JustWinBaby

Did O'Hara not have a load of concussions when he was with us? He was fine but it's a bit revisionist to suggested we were daft to let him go.

As for Alexander falling out with him. Grezza was a f**king moonunit at the best of times so would hardly be a shock.

I've always thought Mark O'Hara was a good player when playing against us, but I always said when he played for us that I could be at his testimonial and not know whether I rated him or not, my opinion fluctuated that much.

On reflection, Robinson first played him as a holding midfielder, which he isn't, as we had Campbell in the box-to-box midfielder role. Then Alexander played him in a midfield who were actively discouraged not to attack.

I do wonder if we hadn't played him in the wrong position, or with those instructions, if we would have seen more of the player who I thought looked good at St. Mirren and Dundee.

I actually thought he was a good centre-back when he filled in there with us. (Albeit my eyes couldn't quite take the sight of someone wearing number 7 there).