Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

33 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Regardless of who has just signed, our squad is a complete bin fire.

Not sure I agree. If we did not have 231 injuries I think we would be fine. 

Not saying we would be competing for top 6 but I would be less concerned about finishing bottom 2 as I am right now.

No team avoids injuries. But if we had even 4 or 5 of the 9 injured players I think we would be OK. 

Rangers were poor 2nd half on Saturday. But I have seen better Motherwell sides swatted away. If our injury hit team can look more likely to score then I was OK with the performance on Saturday. Still think Casey needs time on the bench to see if Balmer is going to be a better option. 

If Watt applies himself like he did before, I'm all for this.

That kind of grit and determination has been missing so far. He also has the ability to hold the ball into feet well and play others in; with Moses or Robinson playing the #9 role that might just work.

We still badly need an actual attacking midfielder to link the team through the middle, though.

The Tony Watt  version with a point to prove and on his game would massively benefit the squad in its current state, and I'm leaning towards thinking that is actually the version we will get.

He probably has the chance of one more decent  contract in him once his Utd one ends next summer, so this is his chance to put everything into achieving that. It wouldn't surprise me to see him bust a gut for a few months, then sign a pre-contract elsewhere in January. That's fine though, we all know that Long Term Tony is unpredictable and can down tools in an instant, so if he can make a positive contribution until the physio room empties and they are all back and up to speed then it will be a successful bit of business.

The secret, for those who like to lose the heid, is not to get too attached as he will undoubtedly seek your adoration, then jilt you just as you're beginning to think you've got a good thing going. Accept it as nothing more than a brief fling for a few months with, hopefully some good memories (and points on the board), then get him the fvck back out of your life.

I honestly don't think there's any doubt about his quality at this level, or at least there wasn't a year ago when he last played at it. He was basically a 7/10 for us as soon as he came in the door, with a 10/10 last few months. Maybe he saved his best performances for games against us, but my impression of his time at United and St Mirren is that he reverted to the mean a bit in terms of goals, but his all round game seemed as good as it was with us?

There's clearly questions about his attitude, but with him knowing he's OOC in a year I guess you just have to hope he plays ball. For all the accepted wisdom that he fell out with Goodwin, when there's no actual concrete story it wouldn't surprise me if it's less Watt being an arsehole and more United freezing him out because of the ridiculous wage he's on.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Haven't been this invested in a comeback since Ross McCormack.

If nothing else it's triggering all the right people.

Motherwell Twitter RN.

scanners-head.gif

As I said over on Twitter, all will be forgiven if he scores against Killie at the weekend and does his usual shit-housing and diving.

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

As I said over on Twitter, all will be forgiven if he scores against Killie at the weekend and does his usual shit-housing and diving.

Well, that's not going to happen. 

(He's cup tied :))

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Well, that's not going to happen. 

(He's cup tied :))

Is there not rule you can switch after the group stage? I’m sure it was Utd themselves done it a few years ago.

Or have I just made that up? 

10 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Is there not rule you can switch after the group stage? I’m sure it was Utd themselves done it a few years ago.

Yeah I'm sure group stage games don't cup tie you, but like yourself I could well be mis-remembering that.

Edited by Al B

2 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Cards on the table, I actually don't know. I was 100% just going by the chat further up the thread.

I've done absolutely zero research into it.

If that is the case then, @camer0n_mcd you have my apologies.

14 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

so if he can make a positive contribution until the physio room empties

He'll be in there organising the card school, selling eggs and practicing his goal celebration (should the opportunity arise) 🐔

Tony Watt will drag this team forward from middle to front (main link) and may even help improve Lennon Miller in his development. 

Will Lennon still play further forward or drop slightly deeper to find the killer pass? 

Absolutely delighted with this signing. 

Been critical lately of Mr Kettlewell signings, but this may be the missing link. 

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Cards on the table, I actually don't know. I was 100% just going by the chat further up the thread.

I've done absolutely zero research into it.

If that is the case then, @camer0n_mcd you have my apologies.

From the SPFL website on player elligibility:

Except for a Player/player who has only Played, including being listed as a named
substitute, in the First Round (Group Stage) of Matches who shall not be included for
the purposes of this Regulation 8.3, no Club or club (“A”) shall Play, or list as a named
substitute, any Player or player who, in the same Season, has already played in a
Match by entering the field of play, whether in the starting eleven or by being used as
a substitute by another Club or club (“B”) in the Competition and, subject to the stated
exception, any such Player or player shall not be eligible to Play, or be listed as a named
substitute, for Club or club A.

1 minute ago, MP_MFC said:

Except for a Player/player who has only Played, including being listed as a named
substitute, in the First Round (Group Stage) of Matches who shall not be included for
the purposes of this Regulation 8.3, no Club or club (“A”) shall Play, or list as a named
substitute, any Player or player who, in the same Season, has already played in a
Match by entering the field of play, whether in the starting eleven or by being used as
a substitute by another Club or club (“B”) in the Competition and, subject to the stated
exception, any such Player or player shall not be eligible to Play, or be listed as a named

There you have it.

@camer0n_mcd you have my apologies.

6 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Thanks for the clarification. 

On a separate note, after asking on here about a comment made by Colin Park, my phone is now suggesting him as a friend on Facebook. Who says technology isn't watching your every move?