Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Vietnam91 said:

In other news, the buns being knocked out of the CL last night, no additional approx. 650k solidarity payments from UEFA.

As covered at peak investment that money while closing our fund gap for this season at least, it would simply keep parity with the rest of the league, so with everyone with extra money available decisions would have to be made on banking a portion of it or spending most of it to enhance the playing staff with shortfalls as they were before.

What it would have allowed, and maybe a bit premature since Killie and St Mirren play this week, is to shorten the gap between them and us as I understand payments are only distributed to the seven teams not competing in UEFA competition. If they get knocked out this week then it must be commensurate with what they've earned to date. However if they progress, those funds would have have done something to stop them pulling away.

Have never really understood the Co-efficient/ solidarity payments. Just assumed the currants dropped into Europa League and had the chance to progress from there . Plus Celtic of course and Hertz. I expect Killie and St Mirren to be knocked out this week.

17 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Have never really understood the Co-efficient/ solidarity payments. Just assumed the currants dropped into Europa League and had the chance to progress from there . Plus Celtic of course and Hertz. I expect Killie and St Mirren to be knocked out this week.

It's definitely the dark arts and like every thing with FIFA and UEFA so many permutations.

With respect to solidarity payments the overwhelming lions share is for CL participation. About 650k up as reported back in January due to a re-jig due to the new format which was done to keep the breakaway super league teams happy-ish. As the Rangers drop into the Europa, there will be some money but nothing like if they made the CL groups and nothing of any significance unless they make it to the knockout stages. The conference league groups while great for away days and cash for clubs at our level means very little distributed to the league as a consequence. If Killie or St Mirren make them then earned money would keep the wolf from the door for quite a bit or allow to pay back some of the racked up spending they've committed to of late.

As present due to our poor showing for a few years (helped in no small part by us vs Sligo), Scotland's efficient moves down the league table and if the trajectory continues then our league winners would not get automatic CL group qualification from season 2026-27. Of course a good showing in the CL, Europa groups and if qualification is earned to the Conference then it may buck that trend.

The OF are very much mirroring our own league where they now have zero chance to truly compete with the elite who have many multiples of their revenues. Celtic are now very much to the Champions League what Motherwell is to the SPFL. It's just our fans know that and are realistic whereas OF fans think they can still mix it at the top table.

There's an injury update out. TLDR version; everyone's f**ked.

Stama (is that what we're going with?) out for 6 weeks and Jonny K out for about another month. Could be looking at having both back involved for the St Mirren game at the end of September maybe? Shane Blaney should be back around about that time as well.

With the international break at the start of September, it looks like we might only be missing them for 3 league games plus the LC this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Cedrics Mighty Well Army said:

Perhaps my potato's bin bakin' too long, but did Watt not make his debut for Shellick at FP, coming on as a sub and quickly scoring twice to overturn a 0-1 deficit?

He did. Came off the bench to bag a double and looked the real deal. Two great finishes aswell. Was gutting. 

55 minutes ago, dezz said:

Stama (is that what we're going with?) out for 6 weeks and Jonny K out for about another month. Could be looking at having both back involved for the St Mirren game at the end of September maybe? Shane Blaney should be back around about that time as well.

With the international break at the start of September, it looks like we might only be missing them for 3 league games plus the LC this weekend. 

Stuparević is also back running but not in contact training so I guess there's a chance he could be back sooner rather than later. Unless Liam Gordon gets hold of him.

1 hour ago, dezz said:

I'm actually relieved it's only 6 weeks. Which goes to show how I'm beginning to be conditioned just to accept everyone that's injured is out for an extended period of time

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Stuparević is also back running but not in contact training so I guess there's a chance he could be back sooner rather than later. Unless Liam Gordon gets hold of him.

We’ll probably put him straight into the starting XI for Sunday 😬

2 hours ago, eliphas said:

I'm actually relieved it's only 6 weeks. Which goes to show how I'm beginning to be conditioned just to accept everyone that's injured is out for an extended period of time

I thought exactly the same - 6 weeks seemed like hardly any time because I’d been mentally prepared for 6 - 8 months. 

19 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

It was a bit of an odd segway in what was a Q&A which turned into an infomertial. Don't know if because a few of the rest of those up for election asked questions, it created name recognition and felt there was a need to get involved.

Thanks for the kind words from a few in person, on here and in private over the past week .... and in the last hour.

Removing Derek from the equation, there are five people up for election who showed up the cold rainy nights in mid winter for the preparatory workstream meetings and now sit on various groups. Martin and Gavin on Comms, Nick and myself on Governance and Kyrk on what will now combine membership, events and fundraising. I think I can speak for all when I say we did so before things came to a head through in the summer and what happened was not our motivator nor catalyst to become involved.

I watched 10 seconds of my video and stopped it, I hated recording it and it felt forced when normally I engage quite freely. If it impressed I can only assume it was the content not the delivery.

I was annoyed that my signal gave out on Zoom in Turkey - but probably for a good thing - I don’t think this is about selling a popularity contest, it’s about getting the best strength, breadth and depth out of the candidates on the table. 
There’s definitely two very deserving members for me - and then it’s close for the rest. 

I am one of those people whereby the goings on in recent times, the improvements that have been noted - plus the strategic growth plan have very much been a catalyst for me to stand for election - and I don’t see that as a bad thing. 

I think the points you raise about those with experience in the work streams is valid - but so to is the idea of fresh approaches with no preconceived idea of how things “get done” (or don’t). Personally I think many of the board in situ and a couple of those standing add a lot to the areas you mention - (and probably moreso than me) - but I stood because I felt I could complement and enhance this in the strategy and segmentation, commercial, activation and revenue streams capacities - something that resonated with me when called for as needed skills in the election notification.

Certainly, I don’t think I’m better than any candidate standing for these posts - but I do think I’m a bit different and offer an alternative perspective which I think could help create a great synergy with everything else we’re doing.

Sorry I couldn’t chat during the agm - but I’ll be at the Killie game this weekend if anyone wants a blether (whether you’ve voted already or holding off till the last minute).

Finally, regardless of whether I get any votes or not - I’d be delighted to volunteer to help in any way I can once the new board is in place. 

The voting race is going to be interesting to see how it pans out. Anyone else kinda get the feeling there are a couple of Trojan Horses in there, either with the intention of being a nuisance or running back to certain parties within the club with stories or instructions? Am I just para after all the shenanigans of the takeover? Certainly get the impression some are looking to get themselves involved with an eye on the exec board positions, continuing the old school tie network if at all possible. 

I defo think some of the folk in there are putting themselves forward suspiciously, at least two of them did nothing but slate everything the WS did and the auld guy Jim was downright insulting to them at one point. Now they want to work wth them? Nah no chance.

There are too many Parks with influence at FP as it is anaw, another is not for me.

3 hours ago, Gaag97 said:

I was annoyed that my signal gave out on Zoom in Turkey - but probably for a good thing - I don’t think this is about selling a popularity contest, it’s about getting the best strength, breadth and depth out of the candidates on the table. 
There’s definitely two very deserving members for me - and then it’s close for the rest. 

I am one of those people whereby the goings on in recent times, the improvements that have been noted - plus the strategic growth plan have very much been a catalyst for me to stand for election - and I don’t see that as a bad thing. 

I think the points you raise about those with experience in the work streams is valid - but so to is the idea of fresh approaches with no preconceived idea of how things “get done” (or don’t). Personally I think many of the board in situ and a couple of those standing add a lot to the areas you mention - (and probably moreso than me) - but I stood because I felt I could complement and enhance this in the strategy and segmentation, commercial, activation and revenue streams capacities - something that resonated with me when called for as needed skills in the election notification.

Certainly, I don’t think I’m better than any candidate standing for these posts - but I do think I’m a bit different and offer an alternative perspective which I think could help create a great synergy with everything else we’re doing.

Sorry I couldn’t chat during the agm - but I’ll be at the Killie game this weekend if anyone wants a blether (whether you’ve voted already or holding off till the last minute).

Finally, regardless of whether I get any votes or not - I’d be delighted to volunteer to help in any way I can once the new board is in place. 

I personally don't think it's easy making a decision on the strength of a video and a pdf. But that's the way it is 

8 hours ago, fatcalf said:

Certainly get the impression some are looking to get themselves involved with an eye on the exec board positions, continuing the old school tie network if at all possible. 

Probably, because for some it's hard to shake off attitudes developed by the old executive and tolerated by the Society that the executive is the senior body which is the more important...in our theoretical model that's already not the case and the new governance with its agreements should be ensuring that's the case in practice.

That said, you can definitely look at some folk on the ballot paper and make the case that for various reasons we'd be better off collectively if they focused their skills on the club side rather than the Society side (whether that's as consultants, employees or board members is in turn another discussion).

I think there are two outstanding candidates who need not be named. I'm completely baffled by the motivation of the septics, whom I'm uncertain whether either have ever visited the town or watched a match in person. Then there's the boy who's surname matches a big f.ck off bus company from just across the Clyde.

Makes the arithmetic choosing two from ten.

10 hours ago, ClaretAmberb said:

I personally don't think it's easy making a decision on the strength of a video and a pdf. But that's the way it is 

Certainly.

However, I must confess that by merely observing how various candidates conducted themselves at Fir Park both before and after the AGM, I learned a great deal.

Not that it altered my opinion. It merely confirmed my decisions regarding whom I intend to vote for.

33 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Tell you what that matchday email is excellent.

Yeah I’m actually a big fan of this!

Im liking the beer garden as well. Was really enjoyable before the county game. Hope the weather is decent enough for it on Sunday!