Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

34 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Am I alone in thinking Wilson is basically a left footed Cadden? Not a criticism of him at all, but his build and aggressive running feels very similar.

Distinct lack of serpentine slithering and a forked tongue (for now).

Thinking back to the league cup groups, the amount of folk losing it because he checked back and passed to the Blaney/Gordon too often for them. A 19 year old in his first competitive first-team starts, as if he's not been given the instruction from Ketts to "keep it simple, don't be a hero, just do your core job".

17 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Distinct lack of serpentine slithering and a forked tongue (for now).

Thinking back to the league cup groups, the amount of folk losing it because he checked back and passed to the Blaney/Gordon too often for them. A 19 year old in his first competitive first-team starts, as if he's not been given the instruction from Ketts to "keep it simple, don't be a hero, just do your core job".

I agree with your point as regards his experience but I think part of that criticism came from the immediate comparison with Georgie Gent who was always trying to stretch the game and run in behind.

I think with him gaining confidence he can maybe add that bit of dynamism. 

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

You showed better restraint than I would have done. I would have shoved the microphone up the guys arse 😎.

Great result even though I cashed out at 1-1 having a Motherwell win on Skybet 🤦‍♂️.

A lot to like about this team. And you know even a couple of weeks ago I thought finishing bottom was a distinct possibility. Don’t want to jinx it but very unlikely to happen now 🤞🙏.

Sorry, just to be clear - I'm not Lewis Irons. I was pissing myself laughing on my couch and worried for him from afar. 

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Nah he was in the same Hibs team as Cadden! It was nearly as bad as half the away end applauding Danny f**king Johnson away at Dundee.

Fair enough. I never got my head round the abuse Murphy got. Came through our youth set-up, played for years and scored plenty goals before leaving for cash.

51 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I agree with your point as regards his experience but I think part of that criticism came from the immediate comparison with Georgie Gent who was always trying to stretch the game and run in behind.

I think with him gaining confidence he can maybe add that bit of dynamism. 

Which alone is wild, Gent didn't establish himself and look decent much later into 2023-24. He didn't arrive till about this time but it took till GW17 (9th Dec) for his first 90', then he was a mainstay. SOD was preferred at LWB than Georgie for a fair swathe of that time, again wild stuff.

As for the confidence, definitely. If he gauges himself with his peers, which he now should be doing, he must see he can hold his own. Next step is to push on and develop other parts of his game (ideally not at the detriment of the defending thing).

47 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Sorry, just to be clear - I'm not Lewis Irons. I was pissing myself laughing on my couch and worried for him from afar. 

That couch being outside the UK, channel islands and sovereign territories, yeah? 😉

On 30/08/2024 at 17:04, RandomGuy. said:

He played as an attacking midfielder against us, I'm sure, and just looked lost and lightweight to the point the game started just passing him by.

Not that being dreadful at McDiarmid seems to mean a f**king thing to you c***s.

Again, on catch up. I only saw Turnbull once, at McDairmaid. April or May 2019. He was absolutely awful. Sort of felt a little bit bad about that; had he had the career we, then, thought he was capable of. Of course, the green cheeks proceeded to destroy him. So, emotionally, I don't feel so bad now.....

Any ideas why certain players do phenomenally well for Motherwell, and, are relatively gash elsewhere?

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Not to be that pedantic guy but our commentator is Luke Irons who I'm sure is the younger brother of Lewis.

I also was laughing on my couch (which was definitely in the Boston area for the first half then may have travelled the Atlantic at some point in the 2nd half) when the signal wasn't at its best

57 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Which alone is wild, Gent didn't establish himself and look decent much later into 2023-24. He didn't arrive till about this time but it took till GW17 (9th Dec) for his first 90', then he was a mainstay. SOD was preferred at LWB than Georgie for a fair swathe of that time, again wild stuff.

As for the confidence, definitely. If he gauges himself with his peers, which he now should be doing, he must see he can hold his own. Next step is to push on and develop other parts of his game (ideally not at the detriment of the defending thing).

Wilson has done really well. I remember Phil O'Donnells first game at left back at home against St.Mirren. You could see there was something about him but he got an absolute roasting from Kenny McDowall

12 minutes ago, YellowJacketBoi said:

Dafties running on to the pitch after the winner. Looking forward to seeing how Bob Park gets blamed for that.

Feck me did you see the number of daddies on the park when Aberdeen scored their late winner at Ross County … … … … But let’s just jump on the back of the Well Bois 

13 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Feck me did you see the number of daddies on the park when Aberdeen scored their late winner at Ross County … … … … But let’s just jump on the back of the Well Bois 

What the Aberdeen fans do is no concern of mine, I’m a Motherwell supporter.