Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

8 hours ago, Stevie Kirk said:

What number was Bailey Rice ?

Not sure but a Rangers supporting friend of mine assured me that Bailey Rice has a "much higher potential ceiling" than Miller ever will and that he "doesn't understand the hype" about him. 😂

Edited by StAndrew7

2 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

Not sure but a Rangers supporting friend of mine assured me that Bailey Rice has a "much higher potential ceiling" than Miller ever will and that he "doesn't understand the hype" about him. 😂

I don't know what's worse. 

His ability to identify good players. Or your ability to identify good friends.

2 hours ago, StAndrew7 said:

As a broader point, the Lennon Miller hype train is interesting in so much as it feels like a lot of it is now about visibility/awareness (and him obviously being really good).

His name only needs to be mentioned on Twitter and the comments are overflowing with Celtic and Rangers fans (and the occasional Aberdeen guy...LOL) *obsessed* with their clubs signing him - I mentioned it at the close of the transfer window but it's like they think the laddie is a Pokemon.

On the point about Rice specifically, I noticed that he's still captaining the Scotland u19s through the international break.

Setting aside the clear saltiness it's worth remembering that he was reportedly being "tracked" by several 'Elite' clubs (and Rangers) when he was still with us so it's not difficult to see why the **** have settled on this narrative around him having been viewed as the better of the two - which is fine, **** gonna ***.

Also, he's still younger than Turnbull was when he eventually made his debut for us so while it's fair enough to question the wisdom of his *choices* it's a bit daft to write his career off at this stage.

12 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

I mean brilliant recognition for the club, Lennon, his efforts and our resale but ahead of Rico Lewis .....

I think the list is based on Minutes and exposure to first team football as opposed to his numbers/ability.

As an aside, I noticed Kettlewell was talking about the development pathway in McGarry's mailout yesterday.

“In the summer there we lost two young players. They were, without question, two of the most talented kids in the country, and we lost them from our youth academy, our under 14s group.

“So, two lads from the same team, one went to Rangers, one went to Celtic. And Rangers and Celtic certainly haven’t done anything wrong there, that’s not my complaint.

“But I would just love to see a world where either myself of David Clarkson, our academy director, can go and speak to parents and hopefully try to educate them that there is a pathway here for young players and that we feel we can educate them."

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

As a broader point, the Lennon Miller hype train is interesting in so much as it feels like a lot of it is now about visibility/awareness (and him obviously being really good).

His name only needs to be mentioned on Twitter and the comments are overflowing with Celtic and Rangers fans (and the occasional Aberdeen guy...LOL) *obsessed* with their clubs signing him - I mentioned it at the close of the transfer window but it's like they think the laddie is a Pokemon.

On the point about Rice specifically, I noticed that he's still captaining the Scotland u19s through the international break.

Setting aside the clear saltiness it's worth remembering that he was reportedly being "tracked" by several 'Elite' clubs (and Rangers) when he was still with us so it's not difficult to see why the **** have settled on this narrative around him having been viewed as the better of the two - which is fine, **** gonna ***.

Aye, absolutely agreed. I just find it amusing that none of them had probably heard of Rice before he signed and now that Miller's getting the exposure and Rice isn't, it's all about them having the better player etc.

The Aberdeen thing I find hilarious; I called out a guy on it a few months ago on Twitter who thought they'd do a better job of developing him because they had Ferguson, Maddison and others there ("Pay £1m for him and sell him for £5m or something similar).

Asked me how many players Motherwell had developed that were currently in the Top Five leagues to try and counter me saying we were just as good a place for Miller to develop as Aberdeen, I didn't bother replying after that.

Purely for my own interest; players who have played for us and went on to play with clubs in the Top Five since 2010 would be: 

Ruddy, Randolph, Gillespie, Jutkiewicz, Bair, Kipré, Murphy, Blackman, McKinstry... probably others I've missed? That's not bad. 

Edited by StAndrew7

1 hour ago, Neil86 said:

I think the list is based on Minutes and exposure to first team football as opposed to his numbers/ability.

Undoubtedly, but that's why it's a flawed list. Not upset about that, anything to highlight him is good but still its still mental.

These lists will always have a high degree of subjectivity to them, but to have Lennon Miller mentioned in the top 30 of a respected and data-based list is great for him and the club. He is a tremendous talent, in some ways, Motherwell fans might not get too caught up in the added external hype for fear of putting too much pressure on him. Although, as I've said previously, it looks like absolutely nothing fazes him. 

Like most things with football, ratings of 'X player is better than Y' will always lead to debate, there are even folk who have played the game at a high level who say certain stats are relied on far too much these days. Lennon Miller is the brightest prospect in Scottish football (by a distance imo) at the moment, and him being mentioned highly on the same list as Juventus, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Manchester City players is great news. 

Edited by MurrayWell

56 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Lol

Sets an interesting precedent for Levein, who is up before the Hampden beaks for comments about the same incident. 

On the Bailey Rice stuff (and the two under-14 lads) - my frustration is never about them going to the OF in itself* (we all know where we sit in food chain) but in the fact that if they are going to go to a bigger academy setup - at least choose a team that doesn't have a f**king horrendous record at actually playing/developing young players. I suspect these players' chances of "making it" has actually decreased by taking the option they have.

There's pretty clear evidence by now that players who do their development outwith the OF can get the move they want if they are good enough. Turnbull moved to Celtic at a point where he could fight for the first team, not the B team, and players like Max Johnston or Alan Campbell have hardly regretted getting the right number of 1st team games under their belts at a smaller team where they can actually play. It seems pretty clear that it's about when you move and how much actual first team experience you've got - and that will always be our selling point.

*Although without any evidence, I always imagine these moves are driven by OF Da's desperate for some bragging rights that their boy "plays for Rangers/Celtic" rather than an actual plan for what happens next. I assume it's no coincidence that Max and Lennon's Da's are ex-pros (and that Turnbull and Campbell's families were always praised by the club when they were being discussed)