Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

41 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Wonder if that's enough for Robinson to blow it up again. This system doesn't work with the bodies we've got, for all Hastie and Seedorf are or aren't, no chance you're telling me they're definintively worse than our other forward options at the moment, who currently look like three laddies who met in the car park before the game. 

Plenty of running about in the midfield, f**k all football. Don't care if Polworth has been aff it, you find the way to make him play, because he's the only footballer we've got in there. 

Pulling this in here rather than clogging up the match thread but it definitely feels like Robinson has to do something. If it means blowing it up again then so be it, he's going to have to take ownership of the fact that it's not working with the players he has at the moment though.

Either way he needs to pull something out the bag in January and as I've said before he's not going to have a winter break to bed new players in unlike his previous seasons.

I've no doubt that there are probably reasons but prior to the last international break we were ticking along reasonably well with O'Hara at centre back, and the midfield of Campbell, Maguire and Polworth. Granted the Covid meant Campbell and Maguire weren't available for a fortnight but they are now but we're still back to starting Mugabi and doing mental things like benching Polworth and starting Grimshaw.

If it's simply the case we're trying to rotate to give players minutes can we just park that for a bit and put our most effective team out pls.

Edited by capt_oats

9 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Here's a question for you, being so keen to bin Robinson.

Who would you replace him with from who is available? Levein? Yogi fucking Hughes? Give Lasley a go?

There's hardly a plethora of excellent options out there to choose from. I get that we're a bit shite at the minute but we're not in a rosy situation outside of football to just go picking new coaches up. 

This question always comes every single time anyone suggests changing the manager.

"Who would you replace him with"?

Firstly, it's not my job to source and appoint a replacement, but I would suggest that we follow the process that any other club would when in the situation of appointing a new manager. Advertise the post, carry out an interview process and select the best candidate. There will ALWAYS be interest in the position of manager of a top flight, professional football club, I don't get why some people seem to think otherwise and that we'd be restricted to picking someone off the managerial merry-go-round of Scottish football.

Changing the manager has benefitted us in the past, not every time granted, but it has worked for us. McGhee replacing Malpas, Brown replacing Gannon and even Robinson replacing McGhee back in 2017.

There is literally nothing about this team and the current set up that suggests that things will improve and we it's becoming clearer by the week that a change is badly needed.

Edited by MJC

41 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

We were in a similar position a couple of seasons ago when we made a 1 or 2 signings that made the difference in the second half of the season. It's difficult to see us bringing anyone in without bodies leaving. I said it the other day and while it's highly unlikely there's 5 or 6 of that squad that we could punt tomorrow and we'd be left no worse off.

I was sceptical earlier in the thread about whether we'd be able to punt bodies in January but as it stands Archer, O'Donnell and Crawford's deals are all up in January as it is. I guess there's the outside chance that Rangers take the huff about Hastie not getting as many minutes as they may want. They pulled his loan at Rotherham for the same reason.

That'd be potentially 4 out.

Dunne's short term deal is up in January as well. I'd be surprised in he's on much more than a low basic w/expenses but it's another player whose deal is up come the January window and I guess could allow a bit of give and take.

I mean, Robinson may be many things but he's not daft - he's surely recognising that he's fucked himself into a corner a bit with some of his signings and he's got a bit of previous form for just binning players who aren't doing a job for him.

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'm getting so little enjoyment out of this season that on first reading I was quite keen on that idea as I'm genuinely pining for the Thunderdome days. 

Another hat-trick for big Herbalife today. One for the lesser spotted Jake Taylor too.

EpDUTfgWMAU9Gfv?format=jpg&name=small

1 minute ago, ZX1886 said:

If Robinson thinks that was a good performance today then I struggle to imagine what would constitute a bad one.

Tbh, from his post-match I thought he just sounded scunnered.

Stopped short of chucking folk under the bus but he's talking about it "not happening for us", "we had 3 strikers up that's worked at times but we didn't have enough width and we've got wide players that aren't playing well", "we all know that without that end product you're going to lose football matches", "we didn't make it work", "ultimately I put them on the pitch so I take the blame for it", "we need to improve".

Robinson has been round the block enough to know that the insipid performances and the knack of losing soft goals in every game is a pretty toxic combination - and given the coded way that managers talk in these post match interviews, I don't think he is hiding from that. His biggest challenge this week will be getting a good sleep without having nightmares about what Rangers will do to that defence...

Big Bowman was sound for us.

Put us in a cup final, a face that fit in locally, lost a drone on Christmas morning, retired a Rangers centre-half.

Couldn't ask for more than that from someone we signed from a glorified pub team.

13 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Big Bowman was sound for us.

Put us in a cup final, a face that fit in locally, lost a drone on Christmas morning, retired a Rangers centre-half.

Couldn't ask for more than that from someone we signed from a glorified pub team.

Absolutely shite at fitba. But the guy ran himself into the ground whenever he played, got us into a cup final and worked the entire Rangers staff & support into an absolute shoot. 

An all round good guy imo. 

I know he gave Hastie due props today (along with saying it's taken a lot longer than expected to get him fit - which is wild given we're mid-December and AFAIK there's been no injury) but that was the 2nd maybe even 3rd time this season Robinson's explicitly said our wide players oren't playing well. Again, there's no lie there but given we have as many of them, be it nominal or out and out, it's a pretty clear problem.

Robinson's got previous form for just emptying players he doesn't think he can trust but this is probably the first season he's been here where there seem to be as many.

Makes me wonder what January looks like tbh. You could easily make an argument for us needing a centre half, midfielder and a forward.

Edited by capt_oats