Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Polworth has been useless this year. keep him out the team.

I don't see why we should be trying to bring Polworth into the team immediately. Ok there might not be through balls getting played but it's been a better showing from this midfield three than Polworth's had in months. Even set piece wise Maguire's have been an improvement. 

If I have to hear Jock Brown saying "Polworth's put that into a really good area" when he's ballooned another set piece right over everyone's head I'll fucking scream. 

7 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I don't see why we should be trying to bring Polworth into the team immediately. Ok there might not be through balls getting played but it's been a better showing from this midfield three than Polworth's had in months. Even set piece wise Maguire's have been an improvement. 

If I have to hear Jock Brown saying "Polworth's put that into a really good area" when he's ballooned another set piece right over everyone's head I'll fucking scream. 

I stan Polworth but there's absolutely zero argument for changing the team up just now.

In fact it can't be that much of a coincidence that we've hit a tiny bit of form since Alexander has come in and has us playing a consistent shape with largely the same bodies (save "injuries" (Hi Declan) and suspensions (entirely Polworths fault)).

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I stan Polworth but there's absolutely zero argument for changing the team up just now.

In fact it can't be that much of a coincidence that we've hit a tiny bit of form since Alexander has come in and has us playing a consistent shape with largely the same bodies (save "injuries" (Hi Declan) and suspensions (entirely Polworths fault)).

I'm a fan of Polworth too. He's been off the boil for sure, but so has everyone in the team. He'll get back in the team at some point, but as it stands Big, Bad Barry Maguire is looking class. He's built like a brick shit house, wears boots blacker than the dead of night and is whipping in set pieces with both feet. Big fan.

2 hours ago, Gallus Numpty said:

I'm not convinced it was a red card. Penalty and a booking every day of the week, but I didn't see much intent there, just a bloke making a daft attempt to kick the ball.

This is where I am. I think shouts for a red card are OTT. I mean, it's a penalty every day of the week but Fuchs has just gone to try and play the ball. Why he decided to try and kick it, with the ball at that height, is another question altogether. 

I suppose it's easier to let these decisions slide when you've won the game. 

50 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Polworth has been useless this year. keep him out the team.

Certainly we shouldn't be changing a winning team unless someone gets injured. The front three are having to do a bit more all round work, and create their own chances, but I think they've all got the ability to do that. Going forward, when they understandably get knackered after 70 minutes are so, I'd like to see us bring on another attacker, rather than a McGinley for Watt sub. 

27 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Big, Bad Barry Maguire is looking class. He's built like a brick shit house, wears boots blacker than the dead of night and is whipping in set pieces with both feet. Big fan.

"Went by the name of Barry. Seven feet tall he was, with arms like tree trunks. His eyes were like steel, cold, hard. Had a shock of hair, red like the fires of Hell."

11 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm not a Polworth fanboy or anything but 9 times out of 10 I'd still rather have him in the team than Robbie Crawford.

I've been genuinely bewildered why Crawford's started ahead of Maguire for most of this season. Crawford's relatively neat & tidy but he's hardly ground breaking eh. 

9 minutes ago, Desp said:

This is where I am. I think shouts for a red card are OTT. I mean, it's a penalty every day of the week but Fuchs has just gone to try and play the ball. Why he decided to try and kick it, with the ball at that height, is another question altogether. 

That's what makes it a red in my view - it's "excessive force" per the laws.

Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off

If bursting someone's nose isn't endangering their safety - what is?

53 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I don't get that with commentators at all...Irons done it last night when Pawlett got to the byeline and smacked a cross right across the 6yard box when two United players were loitering on the penalty spot type of area...

...'great ball across, hes done everything right there'...

...if he done everything right he would have picked out one of the strikers

2 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I've been genuinely bewildered why Crawford's started ahead of Maguire for most of this season. Crawford's relatively neat & tidy but he's hardly ground breaking eh. 

I think the 'Well thread consensus is Campbell + Maguire + AN Other, with the first two being non-negotiable

53 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Tbh, I think it's down to the balance of the three.

One of the issues with Maguire IMO has been the question of "what is Barry Maguire?" is he a Louis Laing type experiment of a centre back in midfield or is he actually a secret ML1 Busquets?

I think Crawford does that neat and tidy thing in the middle of the 3 quite well in Donnelly's absence whereas I'm not sure that role is Maguire's game. Like, for ages I've wondered whether he's a holding mid, a #6 or an #8...it's kind of been difficult to tell especially with Turnbull and Polworth having the #8 and Campbell having the #6 positions on lock. 

Edited by capt_oats

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Tbh, I think it's down to the balance of the three.

One of the issues with Maguire IMO has been the question of "what is Barry Maguire?" is he a Louis Laing type experiment of a centre back in midfield or is he actually a secret ML1 Busquets?

I think Crawford does that neat and tidy thing in the middle of the 3 quite well in Donnelly's absence whereas I'm not sure that role is Maguire's game. Like, for ages I've wondered whether he's a holding mid, a #6 or an #8...it's kind of been difficult to tell especially with Turnbull and Polworth having the #8 and Campbell having the #6 positions on lock. 

I think in the limited sample size we have I'd say he's a midfielder as opposed to a centre back. He's good at moving the ball on, loves a tackle and hits a better set piece than just about anyone else. 

Also I still have nightmares about him playing at centre back and getting the pish ripped out him in that St Johnstone game a couple of seasons back.

Just now, well fan for life said:

I think in the limited sample size we have I'd say he's a midfielder as opposed to a centre back. He's good at moving the ball on, loves a tackle and hits a better set piece than just about anyone else. 

Also I still have nightmares about him playing at centre back and getting the pish ripped out him in that St Johnstone game a couple of seasons back.

Aye. That game pretty much finished him as a centre back option IMO, was it not around that time that he started being re-tooled as a midfielder?

I hope I've been proven wrong by Barry Maguire. Up until a few weeks ago I had filed him in the same category as Stuart Carswell in that it wasn't clear what it was he actually did/was good at. As it is, he's really impressed me in his last few games and, like others have said, I certainly wouldnt be dropping him for Crawford (who falls firmly into the Carswell category).