Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

33 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Alexander and Dorrans would have been in Scotland squads together? Wouldn’t be surprised if we let him train and had a look.

Someone with a better Scotland squad knowledge than me may be able to confirm but going by Wiki:

Alexander was 2002 - 2009 for Scotland (3 caps in 2009), Dorrans was 2009 - 2015 (2 caps in 2009).

It looks like there was an overlap in the Netherlands game in September 2009. According to Dorrans' wiki his was called up for that squad but didn't feature, Alexander was on the bench for that game. His last cap was the game prior against Macedonia so I'm not sure if he had any more call ups after that but didn't play (or make the bench).

I mean, given the time both spent around English football I'd say there's probably a more than fair chance they know each other.

Anyway, our last thirty-something, former Scotland international that had been playing in the A-League before signing worked out well for us...... 

Edited by capt_oats

Motherwell sign Irish defender Darragh O’Connor

The 21-year-old hasn’t had long to wait for a new club following his release by FA Cup winners Leicester City 

Darragh O'Connor racked up 20 first-team matches for League of Ireland First Division club Wexford during his teens. Photo by Matt Browne/Sportsfile

FRI, 09 JUL, 2021 - 20:48
JOHN FALLON

Scottish Premiership side Motherwell are set to complete the signing of Wexford-born defender Darragh O’Connor.

The 21-year-old hasn’t had long to wait for a new club following his release by FA Cup winners Leicester City, earning a contract offer from Graham Alexander.

O’Connor impressed over a two-game trial period to secure a deal. Fellow Scots St Johnstone were also interested in luring him but the centre-back will stay at Fir Park.

It was just over two years ago when Leicester swooped to recruit O’Connor, who had racked up 20 first-team matches for League of Ireland First Division club Wexford during his teens.

He was part of Leicester’s U23 squad, regularly training with Brendan Rodgers’ first-team, but needed a move to enhance his development with competitive minutes.

Motherwell have Saturday’s final friendly against Millwall before they kick the season off with League Cup fixtures next week.

Edited by dinnae-punt-it

Motherwell sign Irish defender Darragh O’Connor

The 21-year-old hasn’t had long to wait for a new club following his release by FA Cup winners Leicester City   

Darragh O'Connor racked up 20 first-team matches for League of Ireland First Division club Wexford during his teens. Photo by Matt Browne/Sportsfile

FRI, 09 JUL, 2021 - 20:48 JOHN FALLON

Scottish Premiership side Motherwell are set to complete the signing of Wexford-born defender Darragh O’Connor.

The 21-year-old hasn’t had long to wait for a new club following his release by FA Cup winners Leicester City, earning a contract offer from Graham Alexander.

O’Connor impressed over a two-game trial period to secure a deal. Fellow Scots St Johnstone were also interested in luring him but the centre-back will stay at Fir Park.

It was just over two years ago when Leicester swooped to recruit O’Connor, who had racked up 20 first-team matches for League of Ireland First Division club Wexford during his teens.

He was part of Leicester’s U23 squad, regularly training with Brendan Rodgers’ first-team, but needed a move to enhance his development with competitive minutes.

Motherwell have Saturday’s final friendly against Millwall before they kick the season off with League Cup fixtures next week.

Never heard of him but the last defender we signed from Leicesters youth team didn't turn out too badly.

I want to see back flips this time though.

8 hours ago, ropy said:

Is that the defence complete then, just a Messi type for the midfield?

I'd be surprised if we replaced Gallagher with a 21 year old with a handful of appearances in Ireland under his belt tbh or alternatively just promoting Mugabi and deciding "yeah, cool...that's fine".

O'Connor's been on trial for a couple of weeks and it's no surprise to see we've supposedly signed him but I'd hope we're still looking for another experienced centre back before deciding we've completed the set.

Not that what I think means anything in terms of our recruitment but I've always been of the mind that we needed 2 new CBs anyway, one starting and one as cover so O'Connor would fit as a Magloire-like.

After that it'd ideally be another 2 midfielders and a possibly a striker to come in IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

28 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

After that it'd be another 2 midfielders

I think this is my lingering concern given that the league cup games are now starting - I hoped that we would have someone signed for midfield and I'm doing my best not start knicker-wetting about it. I get that a "creative" centre mid is a nightmare position to recruit and so I would much rather we got the right player in, even if it means limping through the LC groups with Maguire taking Campbell's place in last season's midfield.

Also - I think this is the appropriate place to say well done to @thisGRAEME for doing good on the telly (although the sight of what looked like pre-watershed bare ankle put me off my breakfast a bit as I watched it on catch-up). Getting a replay of SOD kicking Grealish up in the air at Wembley into the show was the type of content this thread approves of.