Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I'd go so far to say that's absolutely textbook Dom Thomas.

That performance was Dom Thomas's Motherwell career in a nutshell. The one time he skipped past the full back with a decent turn he shanked his cross out the park.

I don't think a single cross he put in reached a Killie player and the one "quality" free kick he put into "an area" was heading straight out of play even if the Ayr defender hadn't intercepted it.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That performance was Dom Thomas's Motherwell career in a nutshell. The one time he skipped past the full back with a decent turn he shanked his cross out the park.

I don't think a single cross he put in reached a Killie player and the one "quality" free kick he put into "an area" was heading straight out of play even if the Ayr defender hadn't intercepted it.

All this shit on Steelmen Online about him "not getting a chance" is boiling my piss. 4 managers and f**k knows how many years with 1 solitary assist to show for it. 

10 hours ago, well fan for life said:

All this shit on Steelmen Online about him "not getting a chance" is boiling my piss. 4 managers and f**k knows how many years with 1 solitary assist to show for it. 

Aye, it's utterly bizarre. He was literally the only naturally left sided midfielder around the first team for a full half season last year and he couldn't force his way in and convince the manager that he was worth a start. In fact the last start he got was against East Stirling and he lasted 54 minutes. That should tell everyone all they need to know. The chance was blatantly there for him but he didn't take it. That's entirely on him, no one else.

Cadden took his chance and made himself a first team player, Campbell may only have been playing as McHugh was deployed at centre back but I'm pretty sure that if he hadn't done enough then he'd have been bombed out the starting line up in the same way Jack McMillan was after the Dundee 5-1. Even the season before last Ben Hall established himself ahead of Laing and Kennedy.

For the past two years every manager, including Craigan, has said Thomas needs to improve his final ball and find something approaching an end product. He eventually got his 6 months of competitive football and while he seems to have done alright there his 45 mins against Stirling Albion was standard Dom Thomas. He looks busy but ultimately offers nothing, look up "flatters to deceive" and there's probably a gif of a Dom Thomas step over before shanking the ball out of play.

Even at u20s level, both Hastie and MacLean were/are better options in that team than him. I just had a quick look through their results Hastie was 18 at the start of last season and by my count got 14 goals from the same area of the park as Thomas vacated. MacLean who was 19 had 3 before he was "promoted" to the first team squad then picked up an injury and both he and Hastie created a ton more. Even David Turnbull who was 17 last season was in double figures for goals from the centre of the park. I'd be genuinely interested to know if Thomas even scored 14 goals in his entire time at 20s level let alone a season.

Fair fucks to McCulloch if he can get anything out of Thomas but as far as his time at Fir Park goes he hit a plateau years ago.

Edited by capt_oats

Where did all these Dom Thomas fans come from anyway? Considering he's never really been closer than on the fringes of our first team it's bizarre the amount of people on Steelmen/Twitter etc that seem to be fixated on him. I'm not even meaning this as a slight on his footballing ability, he just seems weirdly popular in some circles relative to his actual career so far.

Is that Moult cup-tied then? I'm not suggesting that any possible buyer would consider being eligible for the Scottish League Cup a dealbreaker but I doubt we'd bother throwing him on at 3-1 up and coasting with ten minutes left if we were expecting to sell him to another Scottish team soon. I imagine Aberdeen's interest ended when they signed Maynard but I'd think that this confirms it.

...Or I'm reading far too much into a substitution.

8 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Is that Moult cup-tied then? I'm not suggesting that any possible buyer would consider being eligible for the Scottish League Cup a dealbreaker but I doubt we'd bother throwing him on at 3-1 up and coasting with ten minutes if we were expecting to sell him to another Scottish team soon. I imagine Aberdeen's interest ended when they signed Maynard but I'd think that this confirms it.

Or I'm reading far too much into a substitution.

He's cup-tied for the League Cup now aye but obviously not for English competitions. Which is quite helpful given the game was televised and BT Sport are happily RT'ing his goal for all it's worth.

Robinson's said he didn't put him on to cup-tie him, that he's not clever enough for that but given Moult's only coming back from injury I'd have thought if we were considering selling him to another Scottish side then he wouldn't even have been in the squad. Hopefully his Mr. World In Motion is on the phone to every EFL Championship & League 1 club going at the moment.

Edited by capt_oats

"Motherwell chiefs say they will deal with the matter internally"

Which hopefully means launching him directly into the sun as soon as possible. I know Grealish, Berahino and Sterling all got slaps on the wrist for that sort of thing but they all had significant values to their clubs. Blyth's out of contract at the end of the season and currently not available for selection he's absolutely no value.

Cancelling his contract would be extremely useful given our circumstances.

it's a close run thing between Blyth and Bob Malcolm for me but Malcolm still edges it...just.

Blyth is by far and away the biggest f**k-up of a signing I can think of though. Hopefully this fine piece of investigative journalism means we can drop kick him into the bin first thing Monday morning and get this absolute charlatan off the wage bill.

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Is that Moult cup-tied then? I'm not suggesting that any possible buyer would consider being eligible for the Scottish League Cup a dealbreaker but I doubt we'd bother throwing him on at 3-1 up and coasting with ten minutes left if we were expecting to sell him to another Scottish team soon. I imagine Aberdeen's interest ended when they signed Maynard but I'd think that this confirms it.

...Or I'm reading far too much into a substitution.

Ach well pre contract come Jan 1st it is then;)

On 14/07/2017 at 21:55, well fan for life said:

We've just won the first game of the season 5-1 away from home with 3 of the best goals i've seen us score in a long time, and there are people on there who are genuinely angry and were booing. Steelmen Online will never make sense.