Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

You win. Hardly crimes of the century, the mock outrage from some though is beyond the pale.

What happened to the young boy last week was beyond the pale even allowing for the fact he may have been acting the fanny.

BUT….they stopped the game when we were 1-0 down and we’re trying to get back into the game. Had a direct impact on there being 6 minutes of injury time. St J scored 4 minutes into injury time. Not the Well bois fault we are a powderpuff team at the moment, but even a halfwit could see they had an impact on the eventual outcome of this game. 

13 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

It's not ideal, but even if McGinley did return to fitness, I'm far more in favour of running with SOD on the left until such times as a competent actual left back can be brought in.

I thought McGinn was our MOM by a country mile and easy to see why he has been favoured over SODs. Did not think SODs played that well today but you could add the names of Mugabi, Spittal, Maguire, Shields and Tierney to that list. Maguire is a home grown talent but by Christ he is average at best and should only start if we have bugger all options. Cornelius is a much better, option imho. 

52 minutes ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Aye McGinley is still injured but around the squad.

You can see him in trainingwear in the background in this image from Paisley last week:

https://tinyurl.com/y6pr8ss2

Aye he was in the main stand today, and Carol too on crutches. Interestingly Zander Clark was there too with his ex team mates. Weird he's not got a club yet 

22 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

Assuming we had to give Alexander a wadge of cash for his ‘mutual’ termination, due to his contract extension, I wonder how much money a new manager has in his (or her) war chest for rest of transfer window?

Given we've only signed 3 players so far and there were 10 left at the end of last season plus Woolery during the window I'd imagine there's scope to bring players in even taking Alexander and Lucketti's mutual consenting into account.

IIRC it was suggested at the AGM we were looking at 5 in maximum - we're still 2 short on that and I'd like to think there's some sort of contingency built into our budgets to account for unforeseen circumstances.

I mean, I can't really see us being naive enough to think that any incoming manager isn't going to want backing before the end of the window.

Edited by capt_oats

36 minutes ago, welldaft said:

I thought McGinn was our MOM by a country mile and easy to see why he has been favoured over SODs. Did not think SODs played that well today but you could add the names of Mugabi, Spittal, Maguire, Shields and Tierney to that list. Maguire is a home grown talent but by Christ he is average at best and should only start if we have bugger all options. Cornelius is a much better, option imho. 

Agree with much of that. SOD looked like he was lacking in confidence and fitness, and was absolutely done in after about an hour. A prime example of someone frozen out by Alexander leaving us with nowhwhere to go today at left back. 

16 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I’ve seen Motherwell pull some stupid shit over the years but I can’t remember ever seeing them equalise in injury time but somehow still contrive to lose before. 

New level unlocked - Minter elite. 

I came away thinking. Just lose 1-0 and I would be pissed. But equalise in 91 minutes and lose in 94 minutes made the pain ten times worse. 

Just when u think they cannot find a way to make you more miserable they pull of a great surprise. 

That said Collum is and always will b a grade A cnut. Gave them most 50/50’s and somehow contrive to miss a rugby tackle on Sol in the box right in front of him. Wonder if we had done that v Old firm he would have had his customary fit bringing out a red card and awarding a penalty within a millisecond. As I said a grade Cnut. 

8 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Given we've only signed 3 players so far and there were 10 left at the end of last season plus Woolery during the window I'd imagine there's scope to bring players in even taking Alexander and Lucketti's mutual consenting into account.

I mean, I can't really see us being naive enough to think that any incoming manager isn't going to want backing before the end of the window.

I hope your right, but considering the lack of quality we have in the squad, there may not be enough money and more importantly, time, to give the new manager what he needs. 
Give Alexander his due because he did what was required by keeping us up, then exceeding expectations by getting us to Europe (caveat, rest of teams around us were equally if not worse than us) but in my opinion I’ve never seen a Motherwell team as badly prepared for a new season as this and it’s going to take a lot to get us back on track

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

What happened to the young boy last week was beyond the pale even allowing for the fact he may have been acting the fanny.

BUT….they stopped the game when we were 1-0 down and we’re trying to get back into the game. Had a direct impact on there being 6 minutes of injury time. St J scored 4 minutes into injury time. Not the Well bois fault we are a powderpuff team at the moment, but even a halfwit could see they had an impact on the eventual outcome of this game. 

Shouldn't really need explained, but the game would have had the same amount of football played whether the fans protested or not, that's how stoppage time works. So claiming an impact of the eventual outcome because of it is simply false.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Wild take #2. McGinn? Wish I’d taken a drink today. 

25 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

I hope your right, but considering the lack of quality we have in the squad, there may not be enough money and more importantly, time, to give the new manager what he needs. 
Give Alexander his due because he did what was required by keeping us up, then exceeding expectations by getting us to Europe (caveat, rest of teams around us were equally if not worse than us) but in my opinion I’ve never seen a Motherwell team as badly prepared for a new season as this and it’s going to take a lot to get us back on track

I suppose the hope is that the players we bring in help lift those around them and the new manager can get a tune out of those who are struggling.

It's probably not a widely held view but IMO there's a perfectly functional mid-table side amongst our squad. @Handsome Devil touched on it a couple of pages back but by and large the bulk of these players (less Watt and Woolery) were sitting 4th at the winter break. It's really up to whoever the new manager is to try and work out what the actual f**k has happened and fix it.

Similarly @Al B's post earlier in the thread about us being in a position where we're having to "unpick" the tennents of Alexanderball that have been coached into the players is spot on and as Hammell's said in his interviews it'll take time.

The fact that we've taken the decision early, like before a ball was kicked in the league means that while we're still obviously playing catch-up it's not as bad as it could have been had we done what would usually have happened and given the manager the first few weeks to "turn it around".

Edited by capt_oats

We’re just in some nick the now. Genuinely, the surgery required in this team is massive- the amount of deadweight we have in this squad is unreal and yet you look at the bench today and it’s packed with kids. 

We need a decision on a manager asap and we need to have a helluva window because if we limp through to January we’ll be long gone. 

5 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

What does Morris offer us at right wing?

This is something I've been struggling to get my head around as well.

Posted this when he signed but of his 300+ games 207 of them been as a left midfielder.

17168750_ScreenShot2022-07-11at20_41_03.thumb.png.c92fdb319cac8508e18eca13722d5f2d.png

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

Wild take #2. McGinn? Wish I’d taken a drink today. 

Please tell me in your infinite wisdom who should have been MOM. Then we can all agree, because clearly what you say is to go unchallenged as you are the wise one amongst our support. 

I can be condescending at times. I know that but you take it to a different level 🙈

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

This is something I've been struggling to get my head around as well.

Posted this when he signed but of his 300+ games 207 of them been as a left midfielder.

I think I was being generous when I included "at right wing" to be fair