Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

2 hours ago, Neil86 said:

Tbf I was conceived Eddie Nolan was going to the be the Tom Aldred type defender we were crying out for whenever we signed him so I will definitely not throw any pre judgement out there. I know what you mean though, still would like a no nonsense type.

Tbh, it's also the fact that Blaney is, by all accounts, a left sided centre back which is where we've got Lamie playing who's not only currently our vice captain but also our most consistent CB (low bar as that is).

I mean, we've been a CB light since we cut Ojala loose in the summer without replacing him so for that alone #welcomeShane.

2 hours ago, rowsdower said:

Shane Blaney following in the footsteps of Harry Kampmann and Neil Tarrant as someone we've snapped up after they humped is out of a cup. 

Hopefully our commentator has learned his name properly.

Never not going to call him Slim Shady, is there a song there?

2.5 year deal for Blaney leaves the contract expiries looking like this:

2023: Fox, Connelly, O'Donnell, Carroll, McGinn, Johnston, Devine, Cornelius, Goss, Efford, Speirs
2024: Kelly, Oxborough, Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen, McGinley, Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Van Veen, Morris, Shields
2025: Blaney, Tierney, Miller

By position this is who's contracted for next season:

GK: Kelly, Oxborough
DF: Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen, McGinley, Blaney
MF: Maguire, Spittal, Slattery, Tierney, Miller
FW: Van Veen, Morris, Shields

Total: 15

OOC:
GK: Fox, Connelly
DF: O'Donnell, Carroll, McGinn, Johnston, Devine
MF: Cornelius, Goss, Speirs
FW: Efford

Total: 11

Loans expiring: Moult (Burton), McKinstry (Leeds), Penney (Ipswich)

Edited by capt_oats

Not many in due to leave this summer I'd be sad to see go. I'd expect Hammy to extend all the boys he worked with at youth level (Johnson, Spiers, Cornelius).

I think a lot of us are wondering if Efford's contributions before his injury were a corner being turned or normal service to resume. I've never been one to think one swallow makes a summer and found some of the lauding over him after a pretty average to poor 9 months prior to be mind boggling.

In terms of the summer I think it depends on what Hammell's broader plan is and, I guess, if he's still manager. The fact that as yet we've not announced his successor as Head of Academy makes me half wonder if we're perhaps keeping his old job free for the moment in case things go sideways.

I'd make an argument that January may be about us getting deals over the line with a view to the short-term rather anything . The market really is looking at players who might offer something and fit what Hammell's trying to do but for whatever reason are out of favour at their current clubs or they're part of bloated squads that are looking to be trimmed.

Either way, finding ourselves in the position where we've conspired to have Nathan McGinley, Josh Morris and Connor Shields signed up for another season is some laugh.

Nothing against any of those players like.

Morris presumably signed in good faith for his former manager only for #Grezza to be emptied a fortnight later, Connor Shields was the sort of punt a lot of our fanbase have been advocating that we take for years - there's a lot of graft there but he seems better than the Championship but it's not quite worked out for him here.

McGinley? Like others I don't think he's quite as bad as a section want to make out but it's hard to view that 2 (TWO) year extension as anything other than a weird pass/agg f**k you to Jake Carroll from Alexander and he's probably an awkward fit for Hammellball. Especially when you look at Penney being the type of full back Hammell brought in - even with the best will in the world that's not Toby.

Add the likes of Lamie, Mugabi, Johansen and Barry Maguire into the mix and that's almost half your squad. It's not exactly a solid looking foundation to be looking at.

That said, the flip is that all of those players (McGinley, Morris and Shields included) are perfectly serviceable squad players. It's about trying to get to a place where that's how they're being used rather than relying on them in the starting XI week in, week out.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

The weird bit about McGinley is he's just dropped off the radar with whatever this injury is. Not that I'm suggesting it's the dreaded knee but he's been out for ages now with no update. 

I did notice him in the background of that Kelly clip the other day. As Capt oats said, I think he's sound enough defensively, not the villain everyone makes him out to be. What I would say though is, the drop off if Penney goes back to Ipswich will be HUGE. 

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

The weird bit about McGinley is he's just dropped off the radar with whatever this injury is. Not that I'm suggesting it's the dreaded knee but he's been out for ages now with no update. 

I can't remember the game he got injured - but it is weird that there is never an update. I guess it might also be "personal stuff" which would explain it not being highlighted, although I hope that isn't the case obviously. 

In any case - there is zero talk about Penney staying on despite being an unqualified success, so we'll be looking at someone else next month. You'd think that now he's manager, Hammy would lift the curse he put on his position when he retired.

10 minutes ago, Swello said:

I can't remember the game he got injured - but it is weird that there is never an update. I guess it might also be "personal stuff" which would explain it not being highlighted, although I hope that isn't the case obviously. 

Aye. That's why I'm inclined not to make a thing of it. Like, it's up to the club to *update* as they see fit. If they've not then I'm sure there's a reason.

Looking at the timeline he signed the new deal on 24th February but only managed 1 appearance from the 9th February (90 mins against Hibs in the SC). He'd started 22 on the bounce in the league up to that point:

1020477266_Screenshot2022-12-20at10_48_52.thumb.png.dadec80d17581001b099bd8fece94e47.png

Yikes! 3 posts in a row? Sorry.

Anyway, I was doing a bit of digging there and it turns out we were in for/had an interest in Stockton back when he signed for Hearts from Tranmere in 2017 which would have been Robinson's first season.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/cole-stockton-reveals-talks-motherwell-hearts-move-823023

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

That's Fox away per Scott Burns...

Must be getting a subbuteo for his Xmas.

Nathan McGinley for me is a very bad player. Shitebag, not great defensively, not great going forward. The fact he got an extension at a premier league club shows he also leads a charmed life. A below average player picking up a wage but being available for selection is one thing, to be a below average player and a permacrock just rubs salt in the wounds for me.

Any redemption arc for him was eroded at Tannadice where he ended up unleashing a rugby tackle to make up for his zero footballing ability at our level.

2 hours ago, Kapowzer said:

Must be getting a subbuteo for his Xmas.

Nathan McGinley for me is a very bad player. Shitebag, not great defensively, not great going forward. The fact he got an extension at a premier league club shows he also leads a charmed life. A below average player picking up a wage but being available for selection is one thing, to be a below average player and a permacrock just rubs salt in the wounds for me.

Any redemption arc for him was eroded at Tannadice where he ended up unleashing a rugby tackle to make up for his zero footballing ability at our level.

I wanted to like McGinley. Rooting for the underdog as it were. But then he would literally gift away possession and often as a result a goal and any goodwill was simply eroded.

The fact that Alexander was often rumoured as saying he was our best defender was enough of a reason for him to have been sacked. Possibly not true but then he handed out the extension much to 99% of our fans surprise and dismay. Something simply does not add up and when he goes will anyone notice or care. Good luck to the guy but he has been a sub par signing. 

Scott Fox leaving 🤷‍♂️

Good to see the game v Killie will probably go ahead. 

On 19/12/2022 at 10:33, Swello said:

it was our ground alone in the top flight that ended up with pipework that looked like swiss cheese

Maybe not? Saw this, though it was originally posted by a Sevco supporter so idk if it is real or not. None of the replies deny it though, just their usual slavvering at each other. 

Another one I don't get was the level of sudden love for is Goss. Undoubtedly moving him deeper into the pocket between the centre half's and midfield allowed him more time on the ball, which he needed and got him involved in less scrapes which he doesn't have the physicality or inclination for. However the rub is you're potentially sacrificing a body in the true midfield and having to add extra cover because your 4 man defence is found wanting. Out of your 10 outfield players, it is essentially a deficiency for me. Playing a back three with Goss in the next line with Penny and SOD would do something to counter this and I get Blaney was purchased as a work in progress. Moult also seems away despite no official confirmation but I would have liked to see this against a team that were expecting a 4-3-3 or whatever the 4-1-2-3 thing we've been playing recently:

--- McGinn -- Lamie -- Blaney ---

SOD ------- Goss ------- Penney

---- Slattery ----- Cornelius ----

-------- KVV --- Moult ---------

The instructions would be, Slattery and Dean (burst yer pan in and get the ball moving forward, back to Goss is your out ball), Goss, look to feed SOD and Penny on overlaps, you are allowed 3 worldy attempts to find Moult or Kev a game. SOD and Penney, bound down those wings and whip crosses in and make them a) shit themselves and b) make mistakes unfortunately you'll also have to bust yer pan in getting back. To Kev ... Moult isn't a eejit, you can pass to him. Moult do whatever the f**k you like.

Many will say Goss been the best performer in a few games so far, but I'd point them to the above rationale and also add that anyone breaking out from the average datum in a mediocre team would be noticed. It can't be argued we've set a high bar at times.

Blaney's stats suggest footballer if Penney can be retained that does offer hope on that side. Many a player has stepped up from Ireland and been found wanting however, best to be optimistic than expectant. Yes Lamie has been a mainstay but his form has dropped off again.

Max Johnstone will maybe hold off any decisions on his future to see what the club offer McGinn or SOD. I'd suggest the latter wants out and we don't wish to retain.

I didn't buy into the "shitty run" chat, the fixture tombola gave us the tougher teams at the end of the first round of fixtures and the same teams at the start of the second. The next 7 games minus Newco and what business Hammy can do in January will define our season. We kinda need to do our business early on as waiting till the end of the month to get a marquee signing if we do that at our level (remember Snodgrass) will make the uphill task harder.

He's a forward, we need forwards.

Probably loves Hammy and Hammy loves him. It'll all be down to wage demands and him wanting to avoid feeling like a failure. A lot will depend on who else is available. Ideally we need people to arrive on form, but if they were we couldn't afford them or they wouldn't be interested.

Edited by Kapowzer