Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

23 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Bit odd the statement doesn't say why?

Other than to provide gossip to Motherwell supporters, I don't think it has to - folk are allowed to change job without justification to anyone - even when they work at a football club. Vanishingly few people of 'Flow's age stick in one private sector job for life (or even as long as he has) - so there is nothing unusual here.

8 minutes ago, Swello said:

Other than to provide gossip to Motherwell supporters, I don't think it has to - folk are allowed to change job without justification to anyone - even when they work at a football club. Vanishingly few people of 'Flow's age stick in one private sector job for life (or even as long as he has) - so there is nothing unusual here.

In the real world sure, football a bit different.

If he suddenly appeared at Hibs in four weeks time you'd raise an eyebrow.

I suspect he'll have an overdue break then end up at Hampden but we'll see.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Would disagree, tbh. Looking around the league there are very few people of Alan's tenure at almost any club.

Burnout in football is massive from any kind of non-playing role. Relentless and in reality, with little reward either financially or career wise. 

7 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

If he suddenly appeared at Hibs in four weeks time you'd raise an eyebrow.

I suspect he'll have an overdue break then end up at Hampden but we'll see.

I wouldn't raise an eyebrow at all - the guy has worked his arse off for Motherwell for over a decade and seems to be very highly thought of in the industry - if he gets a higher paid job offer from a club in our league and works his notice, fair fucks to him - he's more than earned it. 

To be honest - I'm surprised he hasn't been offered a "better" job elsewhere before now.

Any of the social media screwballs celebrating this news will shortly have a "careful what you wish for" moment. 

When Alan was first recruited into the club he dragged the digital media side of the club out of the dark ages. Not long after he started I'd taken some photos at Motherwell reserve games, Alan spied these on my Flickr account, he messaged me and got me pitch side at Fir Park as a 16 year old to take photos. 

The engagement with supporters from the club has been second to none since he's been in the big chair and he's always fought the club and the supporters corner. Compare and contrast the handling of the Sevco playoff games to the current St Johnstone debacle. 

I wish him all the best for the future, whoever comes in has big shoes to fill. 

Edited by gavin_3110

4 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

I can’t see this as anything other than a disaster and the timing ain’t great either. 

Make what you will of the reasoning and timing, but an announcement is all it is. It clearly states that he will remain in post until a replacement is found. I'm sure he will play a big part in the recruitment process to find his successor, and be looking for someone with similar drive and ambition to take the club forward.

It's anyone's guess as to why he's leaving, and to an extent irrelevant. I'm sure it will be business as usual from his point of view in the meantime, trying to get us out of the mess we're currently in. The key point is taking their time to appoint the right replacement. 

Really sad news, never met but I have the utmost repect for the guy, the changes and improvements he has helped implement at the club, on and off the field, and openness and honesty that he has shown has been appreciated by all, not just those involved with the club. He is Motherwell to the core, how many clubs have been fortunate enough to have a true fan at the helm of their club for so long.

Timing seems weird but he doesn't strike me as the type that would have anything other but the best interests of Motherwell FC at heart or do anything to harm the club at such a precarious time. Could be a mutitude of reasons but I feel he's earned the right to finish up, hopefully, on his terms and when felt right for him and his family.

All the best, thanks for everything, we move on.

No one read the whole announcement? He's staying in post until his replacement is found. 

Also, he replied to one of the ghouls that the news was about to come out anyway (I assume leaked) so he wanted to announce in his terms. 

It definitely will be a don't know what you've got till it's gone moment for some when he does finally go. 

15 years is a long time in a stressful role, especially with the added stress of being a fan at the same time. Throw in the abuse he's had to take from the weirdos, and I'm surprised he lasted that long. Hopefully he can move into something with a better work life balance.

As far as replacements go, I wonder if the weirdos will have a list of candidates they prefer, im sure they're scouring LinkedIn now.

Edited by rowsdower