Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

5 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The amount of pearl clutching going on after Kettlewell said that he'd be amazed if a Scottish club could afford Kev is a right laugh.

Like this boy from the Daily Heil.

"Why dont the diddy clubs show ambition? Get big money in and then spend the money. Player trading is the way forward dummies"

"How dare a diddy club want lots of money for a key player. Dont they know theyre a diddy club? Know your place and stop being silly"

You cant win with these c***s.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

This guy hasn't got enough abuse. I can understand yer regular punters and their daft replies to this quoted tweet but you'd think someone who was a Journalist would be a bit clued up on the games managers/teams play when it comes to putting players in the window.

Some of the replies did make e laugh at the stupidity of folk.
"Pish. You'd sell him for £2m. Happily."
"Let's not deny that the boy is a decent player, but he's nearly 32. The best years are past him. I don't think Stuart is getting anywhere near what he's expecting tbh. £3m tops."
"If Celtic or Rangers wanted him he’d go for £1.5 or £2 million max as Van Veen would push the deal through
"
Fuckin morons man.

It's proper Captain Obvious stuff. That chump getting affronted about it is a good laugh.

As you said on Twitter, it's nuts that folk are genuinely that stupid they're taking Kettlewell's comments literally.

Given KVV's spoken publicly about the China thing twice now I'd be surprised if we didn't already have a good idea of what teams were willing to pay for him and by extension what sort of uplift in wage the big man can expect.

Edited by capt_oats

Talking of Turnbull and windfalls, he's out of contract in 2024 so it's either time for Celtic to double down on a new deal or sell him in summer.

Plenty questions there ofc but it's entirely possible between the sell-on and KVV we'll briefly have an extra million in the bank to help pay off diddies.

22 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Talking of Turnbull and windfalls, he's out of contract in 2024 so it's either time for Celtic to double down on a new deal or sell him in summer.

Plenty questions there ofc but it's entirely possible between the sell-on and KVV we'll briefly have an extra million in the bank to help pay off diddies.

From my understanding, the sell-on for Turnbull is 15% of anything over the total fee Celtic bought him for, which was £3.25m. 

Given he's barely kicked a baw for Celtic in months, I doubt Celtic would get much more, if any, than what they paid for him.  I thought Turnbull's sell-on was going to be the golden ticket, but it's looking like we'll need to write this one off. 

I hope, for his sake, he moves on and actually gets game time somewhere.  I don't think he quite fits into this Celtic team with how Postecoglu wants them to play, but he's too good a player to be sitting on his arse all season.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Been linked with West Ham and Brighton recently.  

Doesn't have the pace or stamina to play for the current Celtic side. 

9 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Been linked with West Ham and Brighton recently.  

Doesn't have the pace or stamina to play for the current Celtic side. 

If that is true then he would also not have it for the EPL.

Brighton's midfield is pretty decent, between March, Mitoma and Mac Allister, Billy Gilmour the other big Scottish hope has gone there and can't get a look in.

West Ham will probably lose Rice and Moyes will have a bit of a rebuilding and strengthening job ahead. When used so infrequently if he goes South I'd wager on Championship or if he's lucky someone like a Bournemouth.

He was certainly unlucky that having worked his way into the XI they strengthened when he got injured. And he certainly hasn't looked like reclaiming a spot in the year now since that happened.

Re the fee, you never know with England these days, but yeah, the golden ticket looks to have gone.

However, the simple fact it's Celtic rather than us selling will probably ensure they more than make their money back.

Is the West Ham thing not a long running bit?

I mean, I'm sure Celtic will make their money back on him - it's what they do - but as @Desp says I can't imagine it'll end up being the golden ticket it might have been off the back of his first season with them where he won their POTY and YPOTY (albeit they fucked The Ten).

Thinking back to when he was leaving us you obviously had the Norwich bid which was concrete but other clubs who were vaguely linked were Bournemouth, Southampton, Leeds amongst others.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I mean, I'm sure Celtic will make their money back on him - it's what they do - but as @Desp says I can't imagine it'll end up being the golden ticket it might have been off the back of his first season with them where he won their POTY and YPOTY (albeit they fucked The Ten).

Thinking back to when he was leaving us you obviously had the Norwich bid which was concrete but other clubs who were vaguely linked were Bournemouth, Southampton, Leeds amongst others.

Maybe if they take him they can double check the nationality of his grandparents as a social media bit. 

34 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yes and it was total bullshit made up by some random celtic fan as a joke was it not?

Been saying a for a while about Turnbull that he needs out that club. He’s what? 7th or 8th choice in midfield. Ridiculous when you look at his stats. Ange hasn’t fancied him from the outset.

It’s disappointing in a number of ways for me.

1. The player, I rate him so highly as a player and an individual. Deserves better.

2. For Scotland, Celtic used to be the mainstay of the Scottish National side on recent years. Now apart froM MCGregor they have no one and genuinely have no youth to come through. Not pushing a Scottish talent over some Jonny Furriner seems the norm. 

3. For Motherwell financially it’s a scunner because this is what we had aimed and hoped for. 

Quite funny.

All that Kettlewell's presser seems to have done is get people talking about Van Veen in the £1-2m bracket.

Throw a grenade saying clubs can't afford him, then stand back.

1 hour ago, CoF said:

I’ve seen quite a few “32 year old past his peak” comments. 

KVV reading twitter:

044F75A3-CCF8-420C-9432-96C43C67DF47.gif

Two of my all time favourite players (Cooper and Coyne) were arguably as good in their mid 30's as they were earlier in their career, if not better - and I think KVV would be that type 

54 minutes ago, Swello said:

Two of my all time favourite players (Cooper and Coyne) were arguably as good in their mid 30's as they were earlier in their career, if not better - and I think KVV would be that type 

Agree with this, my only concern is those in our suppprt who just see a good player by how fast then can run and for how long…

To get the best out of KVV we need to cut him slack about doing the donkey work and let him do what he is good at, creating, entertaining and scoring goals. 

5 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Agree with this, my only concern is those in our suppprt who just see a good player by how fast then can run and for how long…

To get the best out of KVV we need to cut him slack about doing the donkey work and let him do what he is good at, creating, entertaining and scoring goals. 

Totally agree but from a Motherwell point of view, it's a moot point as there is zero chance he'll be with us in his mid 30's unless he's the next one to make a comeback after his next move...