Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

51 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

It always amazes me none of our more video minded fans have done a goals/skills compilation of his full time with us.

His shooting ability was tremendous. Despite the scoreline, this was my favourite goal from his collection.

11 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

The only thing of note I remember otherwise is his daft red against Accies.

Maybe I'm being slightly unfair to Lee Lucas. I can't mind him ever being very productive, but others can. My lasting memory of him is that ridiculous tackle against Hamilton. 

28 minutes ago, Cloontang said:

His shooting ability was tremendous. Despite the scoreline, this was my favourite goal from his collection.

If that wasn't a consolation at the end of a depressing humping, it would be better remembered I guess. I remember clapping it angrily.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Back to the present day: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/mikael-mandron-motherwell-future-addressed-29984312

Bit vague but he could also have batted that away easily with a digital implication.

Not sure what to make of that. Is he being serious or just keeping the boys onside for remainder of the season ?

We would have problems if our attack next season was Obika, Mandron and Shields. 2 out of the 3 I could live with with a starter replacement for the (probably soon to be) departed Van Veen. 

Obika looked capable in his initial appearances but he is 32 (as Will Van Veen be next month) so maybe more prone to injuries. He seems to have avoided them most of his career so maybe this is just a blip. Mandron I liked in his very 1st appearance. He showed some nice touches and holds the ball up well. He can also score but is as slow as a week in jail…..

In summary no one will be Van Veen next season unless he stays of course 🤔

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Back to the present day: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/mikael-mandron-motherwell-future-addressed-29984312

Bit vague but he could also have batted that away easily with a digital implication.

Yeah, there's a lot to parse there:

"Are Jon and Mikael in my thoughts for next season? Very much so. The two guys were set a task to come in on short-term deals. I didn’t bring either of them in Mika is getting himself up to full speed. Jon was terrific for four games when I came in and then he has had a hamstring problem.

“He is back on the pitch and looking stronger by the day. In the system we are playing and how we are playing, they add great value. Whether we can do something or not is subject to change. The two of them have been a joy to work with and two guys I have enjoyed having around the club. We will see what develops over the coming weeks.”

I mean, the key part for me is that they add value in the system we're playing - which they do, he's not wrong.

Would we have seen the same sort of form from KVV without them alongside him? Probably not.

Are we planning on sticking with the same system next season though?

Tbh, none of what he's said there is really that much of a surprise. I'd imagine that our preference is to avoid a massive rebuild if possible so if we've got players in the building who fit with what we're doing (and both Mandron and Obika fit the specific role they're being asked to do) then you'd think that would be our first point of contact.

Given our form and overall performances since Kettlewell has come in I'd expect everyone who's a regular in his starting XI and is out of contract to be offered something.

Whether they accept or not is a different conversation I guess.

As a call back to a few other posts I'd just like to say, Lucas, Clay, Taylor all seem to have been around roughly the same time for me. Probably weren't. What they were though, is dug shite.

10 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah, there's a lot to parse there:

I mean, the key part for me is that they add value in the system we're playing - which they do, he's not wrong.

Would we have seen the same sort of form from KVV without them alongside him? Probably not.

Are we planning on sticking with the same system next season though?

Tbh, none of what he's said there is really that much of a surprise. I'd imagine that our preference is to avoid a massive rebuild if possible so if we've got players in the building who fit with what we're doing (and both Mandron and Obika fit the specific role they're being asked to do) then you'd think that would be our first point of contact.

Given our form and overall performances since Kettlewell has come in I'd expect everyone who's a regular in his starting XI and is out of contract to be offered something.

Whether they accept or not is a different conversation I guess.

If/when KVV goes, it will be for reasonably decent money you'd imagine and so a number 9/main striker will be the priority signing of the summer - and we should be able to spend a bit of the KVV money on doing that (the rest will plug budget gaps). So if that's true, then Mandron/Obika (or both) will be in the supporting role, which I'd be completely fine with, assuming we keep the same system.

It was interesting in a couple of his many interviews to hear Ketts saying that he always relates Motherwell to having an "iconic" number 9 and also that he thinks of the partnerships we've had over the years. I would *really* hope that we stick with 2 up front from now on - mentioning "anywhere across the front 3" should be a sackable offence.

Jake Taylor, played eight games (7 starts) for us we lost 6 of them, and drew 1, the one game we did win was when we beat Killie he came on as a sub in the 89th min. 

Lee Lucas was great at passing but was made of Faberge egg. I don't know what he was thinking about with that tackle against Accies.

Obika was obviously a last minute replacement for Mandron after the big man got broken virtually straight away. They're both there as the foil for the main striker, and at this stage of their careers I doubt either will fancy a regular spot on the bench, so I'd say it's an either - or scenario with Kettlewell rightly keeping his options open until he sees if his preferred option is on the same page as him regarding contract/ wages etc..

Of the two I'd be for retaining Obika if he can stay fit, his hold up play is just a bit more robust and rounded than that of big Mikael, who's limbs often look to windmill in four different directions all at once. Very grateful for his contribution but I think he'd be far less of a miss and quickly forgotten compared to Obika.

If Shields is going to be given the chance to stick around (hopefully not, as I just don't think it's going to happen for him) then I'll be interested to see who else he brings in along with a new number 9, whether that be a currently less favoured winger type for options , or if he'll stick with someone who'd fit into his current chosen set up.

The red flag with Obika is that this is his 2nd hamstring issue recently.

The previous one at Morecambe kept him out for 5 months and prior to pitching up here he had barely kicked a baw this season - his last involvement for Morecambe was 24th September.

Screenshot2023-05-16at12_07_51.thumb.png.a1e01c8c607cbd4df794ef04d207bc48.png

I thought Kettlewell's position on Shields in that last press conference was interesting. Essentially saying he's got a year on his contract and he's be part of the squad - which is what you'd expect him to say.

Reading between the lines the "...we'll pick it up once the season's finished for both him and for us" suggests there's a discussion to be had there.

12 mins 53s below:

Given Queens Park’s season is over does Shields come back and train with us for a fortnight, a chance to catch the manager’s eye or is he on the beach resting up for a sub appearance in the League Cup against Morton.

“I was pleased to come in and manage to help that. It was nice to play my 100th game.

“It’s been a stop-start last couple of seasons but it’s always a joy to come on and play.

“I’ve another year so, unless someone is going to come in with a big bid for me like Kevin, then I am here!”

Link

I noticed SOD’s was in the paper saying he had another year to go, which was news to me. 

I’m sure he was out of contract, unless it was an appearance based extension we’ve yet to announce I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Link

I noticed SOD’s was in the paper saying he had another year to go, which was news to me. 

I’m sure he was out of contract, unless it was an appearance based extension we’ve yet to announce I suppose. 

The official has him OOC at the end of the month. Like, I'm not arguing with him but yeah, presumably that's something that's not been announced.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/player/stephen-odonnell/

Screenshot2023-05-16at12_36_37.thumb.png.4905c8533693896856bc1fb6bf475fb2.png

44 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Hopefully somebody comes in with a big bid for him.

Callum Davidsons Dundee will likely chuck £100k your way, tbf.