Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

IF, and it's a huge if,  Moult was fit and not on a big wage, I wouldn't be against him being one of our back up options, the Aitchison role if you will. But absolutely no way we should be replacing a guy who just bagged 29 goals with a guy who has been continually injured. 

Lot of love for Louis, but let's not repeat the mistakes of last summer.  Would be amazing to see him get back to his fully fit best, just cannot see it happening I'm afraid. 

2 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

IF, and it's a huge if,  Moult was fit and not on a big wage, I wouldn't be against him being one of our back up options, the Aitchison role if you will. But absolutely no way we should be replacing a guy who just bagged 29 goals with a guy who has been continually injured. 

Lot of love for Louis, but let's not repeat the mistakes of last summer.  Would be amazing to see him get back to his fully fit best, just cannot see it happening I'm afraid. 

The doubts i’ve got about him is if we don’t sign him, he’s gonna end up in Paisley and he will end up 10-15 goals…. If we do sign him he will pollute our treatment room for the duration of his contract 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, D-Fens Foster said:

The doubts i’ve got about him is if we don’t sign him, he’s gonna end up in Paisley and he will end up 10-15 goals

If he did then fair play, I just don't see him getting back to the player he was which is a shame for him. 

I'm sure someone mentioned before us enquiring about Dipo Akinyemi at Ayr, I'm sure he'll have plenty of offers, but much I'd rather we went down that route. 

Here's the confirmed pots for the League Cup group stage draw on Thursday afternoon. Hopefully there will be a couple of away trips to grounds we've not been to yet.

Pot 1: St Mirren, Motherwell, Livingston, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Ross County, Dundee Utd, Dundee.

Pot 2: Ayr, Queens Park, Partick Thistle, Morton, Inverness CT, Raith, Arbroath, Hamilton.

Pot 3: Cove, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Airdrieonians, Alloa, Queen of the South, F.C Edinburgh, Montrose.

Pot 4: Kelty Hearts, Clyde, Peterhead, Stirling Albion, Dumbarton, Annan, East Fife, Forfar

Pot 5: Stenhousemuir, Stranraer, Bonnyrigg Rose, Elgin City, Albion Rovers, Spartans, Brechin City, Buckie.

16 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Remember it doesn't always tell the full story 😅

image.png.a1ba67df0ccf917000d64ebdae4b78b0.png

I suppose in that respect the reason Van Veen actually ended up here was, firstly, Alexander had worked with him before and knew him but also he was coming off the back of a season like that where he'd had a serious injury and absolutely no one was looking at him. I could be wrong but did McInnes not suggest recently that he'd been interested in him for Aberdeen during his first spell at Scunthorpe?

Which is sort of the point - broadly if players are in form then we're going to get priced out.

Either way, what's interesting about KVV, for me, is that he's just not the type of striker we've tended to sign - going back through the past 20 odd years and the closest fit in the 'mercurial' stakes is probably Ciftci (based on what he did at United). In fact - hot take - KVV is probably the signing #Nadz could/should have been had it worked out.

There's maybe an argument-ish for Tony Watt and Callum Lang although the latter was only here for half a season and we never got to see him in person.

The rest? It's difficult to put Kev in the same bracket as your Cole, Moult, Higdon, Ojamaa, Sutton, Porter, McDonald, Jutkiewicz, Foran etc in terms of style. That's before you get to your Shields, Main, Bowman, Jacob Blyth, Wes Fletcher, Danny Johnson types.

In terms of pure 'gallus' technical players you'd probably have to go back to Faddy v1.0 as the benchmark - and clearly he wasn't someone we went out and signed.

Tbh, a lot of the discourse around Van Veen has been that this season has been some sort of outlier but someone mentioned the OG 'Budget Bergkamp' highlight reel the other day and honestly, I still don't get how anyone could look at that and not think he looked absolutely fucking brilliant value...

In fact, since I hadn't actually thought about him since he left...Callum Lang appreciation video here, similar vibes to the KVV one above tbh:

Edited by capt_oats

We are incredibly lucky he had an injury hit / mediocre season in 20/21. Incredibly lucky. He would be nowhere near ML1 were it not for that.

One thing that puzzles me after seeing the highlights reel and this season is how he has been at us and his aforementioned clubs. Was it down to attitude, bad luck, application or a combination of all of that. He is one of the most skilful players I have seen in my many years going to Fir Park. 

If he does go and it looks likely I will certainly keep an eye out on how he gets on wherever he ends up.  Honestly I Probably have only done that with a handful of Motherwell players over the years. The likes of Uncle Phil, Faddy, Moult and Wee Al. Most I really don’t care what happens after they leave. 

13 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

I’m of the same opinion.

1 hour ago, Geedub-MFC said:

Someone mentioned Grimmy was playing in this so had to look it up.

Lee Trundle is some size.

US Women's teams keeper played some game even though they got absolutely scudded.

tangent here but is that THE US women's team?

In the most niche YouTube recommendation I've had - a 7 year old video of young KVV wandering about Leeuwarden (nice place, not far from Groningen as it happens) set to poignant piano music, entirely in Dutch.