Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

14 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

So players if not playing would be replaced by someone else, or were we playing with 6 men 

Yes, we were playing with 6 men, didn't you notice?

Clearly my point was that as well as Van Veen going - Johnston, Goss and Furlong were also heavily involved in the goals that we scored under Kettlewell and it will be a big job to replace that.

2 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Yes, we were playing with 6 men, didn't you notice?

Clearly my point was that as well as Van Veen going - Johnston, Goss and Furlong were also heavily involved in the goals that we scored under Kettlewell and it will be a big job to replace that.

Very much agree Joe. I would go as far to say we won’t. Not adequately anyway.

Paton & Obika, certainly aren’t the answer imo. Not being a bed wetter in anyway shape of form it’s just common sense. We are in for a tough season in my honest opinion. 

Absolute scenes when we announce Mandron after Kev's exit btw.

giphy.gif

Anyway, it's a fair point @crazylegsjoe_mfc makes - it's a lot of goals/goal involvement to replace and realistically are we going to sign a guy who's coming off a streak like KVV or an exact replacement for Max Johnston? No, we're not.

At the same time we had to replace McDonald, Porter, Sutton, Higdon, Moult, Turnbull, Campbell...it's pretty much the job.

It's an unfair game lads...

Edited by capt_oats

34 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Paton & Obika, certainly aren’t the answer imo. Not being a bed wetter in anyway shape of form it’s just common sense. We are in for a tough season in my honest opinion. 

We may or may not be, it's way too early tell.

It's not that long ago we were all wanting a full blown clear out.

Big rebuilds are not the scary task they used to be. Most clubs our size now have mid to large rebuilds most summers (about the only time we didn't in the last half dozen years is 2020 and look how that turned out).

I'd be alarmed if we added Mandron to Obika for what it says about our ambition but it remains the case there's no point in panicking till the window shuts in August.

Don’t want to piss on anyone’s potatoes but I’m almost certain we will re- sign Mandron - given Obikas recent injury record it would make sense to have cover .

The huge caveat here is that we replace KVV with a similar dynamic striker as the idea of Obika and Mandron up top is frankly terrifying .

3 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Don’t want to piss on anyone’s potatoes but I’m almost certain we will re- sign Mandron - given Obikas recent injury record it would make sense to have cover.

Pretty much how I see it anaw. I'd guess that SK's view would be that Obika/Mandron can play the role he wants from them so why chase around free agents for iterations of the same.

I wouldn't be hugely surprised to see Shields bounced out on loan again.

Assuming we stick with the same shape the gaps we'd really need to fill as a priority would be: Johnston, Furlong, Goss, KVV.

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

I said above the current squad of players give me the fear for a decidedly average season ahead. 

But it has been pointed out (fairly) that Kettlewell may well get the best out of players who were underperforming before. Even if he can do that for one or two it would be very welcome. 

I would also hope that we look to move on a few players as they will probably be told game time will be thin on the ground. Then it is a Q of whether they would get other clubs and other clubs where the wage difference is minimal. A big ask probably.

I would hope we do not get Mandron after signing Obika. One or the other for me. And Obika is in the house. 

Then it is a Q of whether we can get the likes of Goss, Casey, Furlong etc back or players of a similar ilk. 

Too early to panic (even if I am a little) but the squad as it stands needs a LOT of work between now and start of season if we are to expect or hope to be battling for top 6. 

46 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I think I will go full da mode when we go into Elgin away with Obika and Mandron.

We could go into Elgin away with me & you up front and we'd be fine, tbf.  It would be everything Robinson hoped Main & Sammon would be.

I'm not having Obika in the same ability bracket as Mandron. Injury prone - yes, and I totally agree there are question marks there - but Obika is a good player. Mandron is....at best, a lovely big guy with the happiest big face I've seen since Paul Lawson was cutting about the place.

Ability-wise there's absolutely no similarity whatsoever.

22 minutes ago, Desp said:

We could go into Elgin away with me & you up front and we'd be fine, tbf.  It would be everything Robinson hoped Main & Sammon would be.

Set the trial up. I am in