Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

31 minutes ago, one m in Motherwell said:

What a disastrous couple of years we’ve had.  

Although there is clearly a GA-Morris love in, It's got me wondering how often we sign players simply as favours to agents to get better treatment for players that we actually do want. Who was that guy we signed a couple of years back that basically kicked around the club for a while, was presumably paid an actual wage and then quietly released? Michael or Mi'chel someone?

I wonder how much money random dross (guys that never play or only had a couple of late sub appearances) has cost us over the years.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Saw this picture on the United website and was hardly surprised. I accept the guy has had a hard time and hope he is over the worst but it highlights the precise reasons we need at least one if not two left backs as soon as possible. 

DB043914-8E5E-4B1D-9D38-87E20D5A7A85.jpeg

Bit of a weird post. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

How do you know it is out of context ?

In all fairness, I mean...it's a still photo with no way of knowing what happened before it or after it. It's the literal definition of "out of context".

4 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I've just had a St. Mirren supporting workmate come up to me a few moments ago, no other chat whatsoever, other than to tell me that Mandron is fucking dreadful footballer...!!! 😆

Today really is just one absolutely shocking piece of news after another.

15 minutes ago, Swello said:

Although there is clearly a GA-Morris love in, It's got me wondering how often we sign players simply as favours to agents to get better treatment for players that we actually do want. Who was that guy we signed a couple of years back that basically kicked around the club for a while, was presumably paid an actual wage and then quietly released? Michael or Mi'chel someone?

I wonder how much money random dross (guys that never play or only had a couple of late sub appearances) has cost us over the years.

Mich'el Parker. 24 now and doesn't seem to have kicked a ball professionally anywhere. Now playing semi-pro in the english 8th tier. An odd one. 

17 minutes ago, Al B said:

In all fairness, I mean...it's a still photo with no way of knowing what happened before it or after it. It's the literal definition of "out of context".

It is a photo of McGinley on the ground with what looks like a United player getting a shot away at goal. Now it may not actually be that. But it is not a massive jump to arrive at that conclusion.  

The response was to state that I had “ completely taken that photo out of context”. Not that I maybe did. If someone wants to make that specific statement / claim then they really ought to back it up. 

McGinley is no doubt a very nice guy. He has had a tough time of it. But it does not make it less of a fact that this has turned out to have been a more expensive episode / mistake than even Danzaki for example. I am pointing this out and not even in a very aggressive or rude manner. Yet everyone is getting a wee bit wound up. I maybe should have just said he was shit and left it at that 🤷‍♂️

McGinley has his hands out as though claiming for a foul. Maybe it was and the ref is about to blow the whistle or maybe he's not been strong enough and fairly beaten to the ball. I don't know but personally prefer to give the doubt.

Opinions based on previous performances are a whole different argument. I actually thought he was a better defender than Carroll who regularly got hung out to dry by his team-mates. I'd still prefer an upgrade at left back though. 

16 minutes ago, welldaft said:

The response was to state that I had “ completely taken that photo out of context”. Not that I maybe did. If someone wants to make that specific statement / claim then they really ought to back it up. 

Please see below.

42 minutes ago, Al B said:

12 minutes ago, welldaft said:

It is a photo of McGinley on the ground with what looks like a United player getting a shot away at goal. Now it may not actually be that. But it is not a massive jump to arrive at that conclusion.  

McGinley is no doubt a very nice guy. He has had a tough time of it. But it does not make it less of a fact that this has turned out to have been a more expensive episode / mistake than even Danzaki for example. I am pointing this out and not even in a very aggressive or rude manner. Yet everyone is getting a wee bit wound up. I maybe should have just said he was shit and left it at that 🤷‍♂️

Not making any sort of comment on McGinley whatsoever, completely ignoring whoever is in the photo, or even what the photo is of....you have taken the photo out of context. It's impossible not to because the very nature of a single photograph is that it has no context. It doesn't matter if it's a footballer lying on the ground or Tom Cruise hanging out the back of a helicopter.

Personally I completely agree that for whatever reason, Nathan McGinley isn't good at football, but If I was to guess I'd say that looks like the United player has barged him over trying to get to a loose ball. What I can't do though, is call that United player a dirty so-and-so off the back of it, because there's no context.

In order to state something is definitively out of context. You must know what the context was at that time of the photo. I really is that simple.

I clearly accept that I may have taken it out of context. Probably have. But no one on here can say for certain that is the situation. Which one or two were. 

Anyway I am hoping we get a left back in soon. If McGinley performs for us this season I will be as happy as anyone. I just don’t see it. Which what I was trying to infer in my original post that has created quite the stir…..

Do you reckon we'll have paid Morris a lump sum to f**k off or one of those where we pay his wages until he gets another gig? Feels like the latter (there's probably a name for it I'm forgetting) is more common for managers than players.

You'd think we'd have checked if Grezza might want him for nought before paying him off.

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Do you reckon we'll have paid Morris a lump sum to f**k off or one of those where we pay his wages until he gets another gig? Feels like the latter (there's probably a name for it I'm forgetting) is more common for managers than players.

You'd think we'd have checked if Grezza might want him for nought before paying him off.

Gardening leave? Knowing Morris he'd probably try to mow the decking... 

4 hours ago, KirkySuperSub said:

I've just had a St. Mirren supporting workmate come up to me a few moments ago, no other chat whatsoever, other than to tell me that Mandron is fucking dreadful footballer...!!! 😆

I better go check their thread...

10 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I better go check their thread...

I would suggest you don't, for now. Any discussion of signings has taken a backseat to an argument about the use of pink on the away strip, and overused tropes.

I'm tempted to post a link to GiveMePink to see if anyone falls for it.