Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

47 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Definitely harsh. But it is a red card. He'd have been better absolutely having a swipe at it. 

You wonder if that's youthful naivety at play, he tried to get out the way but the slightest contact, accidentally or not, and the boy is doing a triple pike onto the deck.

Once the guy was where he was, the hail mary all or nothing, death or glory was worth it... probably hard to judge in the second mind, if he'd avoided him and Kelly saved he'd looked a genius.

That was a poor day at the office from us. There wasn’t much in the first half but we created very little. Both goals are silly mistakes and we’ve a lot to work on during the international break.

I wonder if we’ll go back to two upfront against St Johnstone with Miller suspended? 

15 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

What will happen to the unbeaten away league record now?! What will kettlewell have to talk about?! 

It just rolls over until we play St Johnstone mate.

The club normally do a pre match presser on Thursdays so if you go on the Motherwell site on the afternoon of the 19th you should get the lowdown from Ketts.👍

5 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Undefeated away on grass (in the league (apart from Ibrox))

14 minutes ago, ropy said:

Also never beaten by more than one goal except when it was 2.

MV5BMmQ4ZjFhM2YtMzg0NS00OTk4LTk2OTAtNGEyYzI2ZWIwNTYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE5NDk4Mg@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg.c69a2cd35ff2dba81a4ece3f4ad0a03c.jpg

Just making a list of all the records we'll shatter in a few weeks.

11 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

You wonder if that's youthful naivety at play, he tried to get out the way but the slightest contact, accidentally or not, and the boy is doing a triple pike onto the deck.

Once the guy was where he was, the hail mary all or nothing, death or glory was worth it... probably hard to judge in the second mind, if he'd avoided him and Kelly saved he'd looked a genius.

Yeah a wee bit I think. 

Technically he touches him, so technically it's a red, but another day I think a referee waves it away. 

Also, think the Wilkinson penalty claim where he gets a booking is as good a claim as the one where Gent hardly touches the boy and the ref gives the penalty then free kick. 

Anyway, if I was SK I'd use this as a turning point to address the issues we've had. He's got licence now given some of the performances individually. It gives him the option to change it. I'd be looking to

- Sort the forward situation out. I'm a broken record but has to be two for me somehow.

- Play a left back at left back. Spencer moves to the right for me, SOD out, and Gent or Souare on. Slightly harsh on SOD but Spencer is great moving forward and getting turned on his wrong side.

- If he's got get Butcher in the team. Either for Mugabi or sitting in the Paton/Miller position.

52 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Play a left back at left back. Spencer moves to the right for me, SOD out, and Gent or Souare on. Slightly harsh on SOD but Spencer is great moving forward and getting turned on his wrong side.

Aye I said this last week and it was my biggest takeaway from yesterday.

Not a single left footer in the entire 11 again. Watching Spencer(and Casey) having to constantly turn inside into traffic was chronic. Chuck in the fact SODS runs like an oap needing a new hip and there was just no pace or width down either flank.

Which makes us entirely predictable. We try and force everything through Spittal and Slattery in the middle who were crowded out. We had nothing out wide so the ball invariably went backwards till a hopeless ball was shelled forward in Bair’s direction. 

Who I must admit I felt a bit sorry for. Up against 3 centre backs with little to no support or service, I thought he battled away manfully and was far from the worst yesterday. Yet(around me anyway) he was the one that seemed to be taking the majority of the abuse off the fans despite pretty much the entire team being chronic.

Nothing stays hidden for long in this league and I imagine most teams will now set up to suffocate Slattery and Spittal. So we need to add some pace and natural width to the side or I think we’ll be in danger of seeing what Livi did to us yesterday become a regular occurrence. 

Edited by Casagolda

23 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Who I must admit I felt a bit sorry for. Up against 3 centre backs with little to no support or service, I thought he battled away manfully and was far from the worst yesterday. Yet(around me anyway) he was the one that seemed to be taking the majority of the abuse off the fans despite pretty much the entire team being chronic.

Recent years have really highlighted for me that the vast majority of folk who get furious and shout constantly at players don't know much about football, and the stick Bair gets absolutely underlines this. People giving him pelters cannot honestly say it's because of how he's played for us, because he's broadly been absolutely fine, they've read what St Johnstone fans said before he kicked a ball for us and made their minds up. 

When we're down to 10 men yesterday, you've got folk screaming at players to close down the keeper too, like going off their heads that we're not. In what world would that be a helpful tactic with fewer players on the pitch than your opposition? 

Edited by MurrayWell

8 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

People giving him pelters cannot honestly say it's because of how he's played for us, because he's broadly been absolutely fine, they've read what St Johnstone fans said before he kicked a ball for us and made their minds up. 

I certainly wouldn't give him pelters and I think there's no doubt he's been hung out to dry a bit. But it was said previously, a striker with zero goal threat is fine when it works but an immediate target when it doesn't.

People give Shaw stick for missing chances, fair enough, I can't even remember the last chance Bair had. The half chance on the angle v St Mirren? 

I would give him another run next time, with Wilkinson alongside...but he's in the last chance saloon for me before Shaw gets a proper run.

Aye, like I said yesterday, I'd have kept him on with one of the other options playing off him for a bit to see how he did. Not saying he's been brilliant by the way, but he's being scapegoated by sections of the support for sure. 

Would agree he needs to do better at getting into danger areas, particularly at set pieces, but I do think the current system is designed for him to create chances for others. First half yesterday he went on a great run took two defenders out of the game and nobody wanted to take a shot from his resulting pass and the chance goes. As you say, current system when it works is fine, when it doesn't we struggle, we struggled yesterday, even with 11 men on the park. 

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Yeah a wee bit I think. 

Technically he touches him, so technically it's a red, but another day I think a referee waves it away. 

Also, think the Wilkinson penalty claim where he gets a booking is as good a claim as the one where Gent hardly touches the boy and the ref gives the penalty then free kick. 

Anyway, if I was SK I'd use this as a turning point to address the issues we've had. He's got licence now given some of the performances individually. It gives him the option to change it. I'd be looking to

- Sort the forward situation out. I'm a broken record but has to be two for me somehow.

- Play a left back at left back. Spencer moves to the right for me, SOD out, and Gent or Souare on. Slightly harsh on SOD but Spencer is great moving forward and getting turned on his wrong side.

- If he's got get Butcher in the team. Either for Mugabi or sitting in the Paton/Miller position.

At the game I thought Wilkinson had taken a dive but watching the highlights Shinnie takes his legs away in exactly the same manner as Miller did at the red card incident.  Forwards tackle and stonewaller .for me. 

3 hours ago, Casagolda said:

Aye I said this last week and it was my biggest takeaway from yesterday.

Not a single left footer in the entire 11 again. Watching Spencer(and Casey) having to constantly turn inside into traffic was chronic. Chuck in the fact SODS runs like an oap needing a new hip and there was just no pace or width down either flank.

Which makes us entirely predictable. We try and force everything through Spittal and Slattery in the middle who were crowded out. We had nothing out wide so the ball invariably went backwards till a hopeless ball was shelled forward in Bair’s direction. 

Nothing stays hidden for long in this league and I imagine most teams will now set up to suffocate Slattery and Spittal. So we need to add some pace and natural width to the side or I think we’ll be in danger of seeing what Livi did to us yesterday become a regular occurrence. 

It’s the first time I have watched Bair from the side of the pitch, I am usually behind the goals.  I genuinely think he played well and did many good positive things.  The issue is that he is doing these things 30+ yards from goals and the folk he lays the ball off to aren’t successful at completing the attack.  
I wonder if he will end up as the partner of Biereth whereas I had assumed it would be Wilkinson.

I said in the match thread that I would have changed it to 4-3-2 at half time to provide Livi with a different challenge, SK saw it as a last resort.

Miller suspended, so pick two of the forward players to form a partnership next game.

15 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

St Johnstone winless but solid defensively today, you can see what's coming in a fortnight...

Quite easily sadly. 

Especially if we persist with 1 up front and don’t sort out the full backs. ie Spencer on the right and either Souaré or Gent on the left.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

St Johnstone winless but solid defensively today, you can see what's coming in a fortnight...

Yes and no. We defended well but Aberdeen spent the whole game shelling balls over our defence for Duk to chase, who instead would wrestle with a defender then throw himself down clutching his face.

I suspect a Sunday league team could keep a clean sheet againsy that.

Youve got the NAP of Bair scoring on your side aswell.

On 08/10/2023 at 08:24, eliphas said:

See, I'd been on this line of thinking until I saw Gent try and defend on Saturday.

I've changed my mind.

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes and no. We defended well but Aberdeen spent the whole game shelling balls over our defence for Duk to chase, who instead would wrestle with a defender then throw himself down clutching his face.

I suspect a Sunday league team could keep a clean sheet againsy that.

Youve got the NAP of Bair scoring on your side aswell.

Luckily for you we can't seem to find the onion bag so you can be shelled all day.

One long ball too and you might be lucky to have a 17 year old midfielder as the LAST MAN 🤷‍♂️

Edited by SteelyDosser

Having watched the highlights a couple of times now, my thoughts are that I can’t see any difference between Millers red card and Wilkinson getting booked for diving. Can’t really see any difference. 

Also, looks like the Livi guy that Miller ‘caught’ was running towards another Well player rather than the goal.

VAR needs changed from Clear and Obvious to Give the Ref another look.