Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

6 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I don’t think they’re unfit there is just not a single ounce of pace in the squad. 

Agree with that.

The performance until the goal obviously wasn't brilliant but was basically fine, for being away to a team with a strong home record. The issue is as soon as we make the error to go behind we have absolutely nothing to chase with. We could play till midnight without scoring against a decent defence and the only real question is whether it ends 1-0 or goes to 2-0 as we push.

There’s zero creativity in this team and zero pace. 

Mika coming off the bench to impact the game works even if you’ve got those clowns up front next to him because his energy is a big part of his game. He was dragged down to their levels today. 

We’re finishing this game with Oli Shaw and Wilkinson as our front two. That’s atrocious. 

Defensively we’ve been fine - Killie have huffed and puffed but if it wasn’t for Kelly making a rip roarer of it we’re probably good for a 0-0. 

The midfield, again, unsurprisingly was non existent with Paton and Spittal being bypassed at all times. 

A win on Tuesday or we are in big bother. Again. 

Edited by MP_MFC

It was certainly a steadying of the ship of sorts - the defence was much improved compared to the last two outings for example.

But the attack, especially when supposedly chasing, deary me. 

We're basically trying to scramble enough points to stay competitive till we can change things in January.

Tuesday has a season-defining feel about it.

In absolute free fall.

We can’t continue to sack managers every season but when you sign the likes of Bair, Wilkinson and Shaw then you kinda deserve what you get.

I think once you don’t win in 10+ games and we’re now well on track for that, with the vast majority of them defeats then decisions have to made.

Edited by Allroy for Prez

IMG_4766.thumb.jpeg.c879393cbaa63ade606301835fd5b8b8.jpeg

Still of the same opinion @Muzz1886?

From the games I watched Motherwell play (a few weeks back) this seems more like a confidence issue.

Perhaps Kettlewell needs to kick a few arses to get a response.

I certainly don’t want to see the guy lose his job but it’s been a slippery slope over recent weeks. From my experience our games against Motherwell have been closer than other opponents. 

I wish you all well. Stay patient as it’s not that you are greatly adrift from the  pack. String a few results together and things will improve quite quickly. Good luck.

If we lose on Tuesday then he is effective finished. With us HIGHLY unlikely to get anything from the Heartsvand Celtic games, that would make it 10 games without a win. And nothing from Novemebrs 5 games. It doesn't matter who well we have preformed initially, we jave just went off a cliff with nothing to show for it.

If we end up in Decmeber eith no points then surelybits time to have discussions at least? We can't keep on having 10+ streak of not winning (or even just losing most of them) it's unsustainable.

11 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

Defeat on Tuesday, a decision may have to be made 🤔

Nah I think Kettlewell has more than enough credit in the bank. In reality, this is his first bad run since he came in. 

Recruitment needs looked at though. I get we're limited, probably more than ever, by finances but some of our signings (going back years) have been shocking. They're not all going to be Moults (first spell) or Kipres but too many have been so far from being good enough for this level that it makes you wonder what those responsible were thinking. Unfortunately it looks like we've focused poor recruitment on the attack this season. With 4 of our 5 forwards either injured, rotten or both (Mika excepted). Add to the fact that the only left back we brought in will likely never be seen again despite that position being a glaring hole in the team for f**k knows how long. 

We seem to say it every season but we just need to get through to January then sort out the mistakes of the summer. 

Kettlewell had absolutely no answers when we hit a real rough patch when he was in charge of us on his own so it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on here. It was farcical towards the end to be honest. Yogi Hughes came in and outperformed him which says it all really. I wish him well but it appears a lack of a plan B appears to be coming to pass again.

14 minutes ago, Staggie_93 said:

Kettlewell had absolutely no answers when we hit a real rough patch when he was in charge of us on his own so it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on here. It was farcical towards the end to be honest. Yogi Hughes came in and outperformed him which says it all really. I wish him well but it appears a lack of a plan B appears to be coming to pass again.

I think today's 5-2-3 can safely be considered a plan B. Whether the system or the goalie alone gets the blame for the loss is a philosophical question but the attempt to change it was there.

There's no doubt the defence was better. So plus mark there. My big concern was just how he thought the three forwards would go...the midfield has been our strength all season, getting that back in track rather than sacrificing it completely should be top priority.

51 minutes ago, Staggie_93 said:

Kettlewell never got a transfer window to sort it. Yogi got the benefit of Kettlewell already having set up the Naismith (second spell) signing. Naismith was already on the way down with his career by then, but his presence went a long way to sorting out the problems that Kettlewell had. 

Having said that, the problems Kettlewell is facing now are largely his own doing. I was surprised he ended up shaping the whole squad with no plan B in mind.

Edited by bunglebonce