Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

In isolation, and especially being 2-0 down at half time, a draw away to St  Johnstone is standard enough for any Motherwell team over the years.

Despite the comeback and point, whilst still not calling for his head, after tonight I’m not feeling that Kettlewell will be here much longer. I certainly wouldn’t trust him with any more signings on the back of having to witness anymore of Shaw, Wilkinson and Bair. 

Just imagine we were starting with Biereth and Fletcher up front and bringing Moult off the bench instead of Shaw?

Our tin pot board are as much to blame as anyone for our current plight.

Edited by Allroy for Prez

What to make of that...hard to say and I imagine positive or negative conclusions will be taken from whether you're positive or negative in general.

Certainly if you defend corners like that you won't win many. Criminal.

And some of the decisions SK made are becoming increasingly hard to defend.

If - huge if - we can beat hearts you could look back at this game and say turning point. But I'm beginning to suspect it's just a blip because a rotten opponent returned the gifts we gave them.

I think some are being unfair on here. 

I watched the 2nd half and it reminded me of how we started the season. We were well on top before and during the two goals we scored. We actually started the game OK.

Not sure you can blame the Manager for the comic cuts defending. That is on the players. 

That is twice now we have come back from 2 goals down (3 times if you include doing it two times in the County game).  The does not suggest to me that the players have chucked it or are not playing for the Manager.

I agree he has to take the blame for Bair and especially Shaw. But the latter was a panic signing with all our injuries and is and should be 5th choice. Hopefully we can get Obika back for more than 10 minutes. 

Hopefully that will give us some confidence ahead of Hearts. The defence and GK really need to improve and cut out glaring mistakes that are self inflicted. 

Biereth is a Baller and might just be the saviour this season. Boy can play and score. 

In a better frame of mind now than I was at HT tonight. 

Edited by welldaft

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

What to make of that...hard to say and I imagine positive or negative conclusions will be taken from whether you're positive or negative in general.

Certainly if you defend corners like that you won't win many. Criminal.

And some of the decisions SK made are becoming increasingly hard to defend.

If - huge if - we can beat hearts you could look back at this game and say turning point. But I'm beginning to suspect it's just a blip because a rotten opponent returned the gifts we gave them.

We are not rott.....

Oh, as you were.

48 minutes ago, Muzz1886 said:

It was at Fir Park I think, Viduka went down the middle, Stevie stood up to it and touched it over the bar.

Rumours that he was slow to move and that's why he saved it are unproven.

But possibly true.

https://www.thecelticwiki.com/2000-04-29-motherwell-1-1-celtic-premier-league/#google_vignette

To lighten the mood, I was discussing this game not long ago and found this hilariously bitter match report from it.

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

https://www.thecelticwiki.com/2000-04-29-motherwell-1-1-celtic-premier-league/#google_vignette

To lighten the mood, I was discussing this game not long ago and found this hilariously bitter match report from it.

Fir Park, 20 minutes from Glasgow, was the latest stop on a farewell tour which some Celtic fans lacked the stomach to attend. Hundreds of empty seats emphasised the apathy currently felt towards the death throes of Dalglish's reign. Provincial clubs are accused of exploiting the gravy train of Old Firm visits, but Fir Park contained over 5000 empty seats yesterday in an attendance which only just crept over 8000.

Vile.

Restricting St. Johnstone's attack to two corners in the first half would've been a positive had we not conceded from both.

Gent may very well not be able to defend but that cross alone is more than we've had down that flank in weeks. Not a slight on Spencer, being played out of position, but him having to continually turn inside was breaking things down.

I'm baffled as to why Kettlewell has to persist with a back three to the point be puts Spittal as a left wing back. Every man and their dug could see Slattery had pressed the self destruct button tonight. Surely that change could've happened at half time too?

12 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I really hope we didn't upset Guus Hiddink

Really pleased for Gent, coming on and making an impact, at the end he was our key attacking focus and I was devastated for him letting the ball slip over his foot and out while he was thinking two moves ahead and preparing to cross for our winner.

Perhaps a run of games will allow him to settle into his defensive duties.

I’ve decided I like Bair, he won his first header when he came on, he had a great run down the left to get a cross in, he was always looking to knock the ball down for a team mate.  But he did manage to clear the ball off the line when Biereth laid it on a plate for him.

We should have won that.

I have major Furlong vibes about Gent. He also took a few games to settle in and looked like a boy loss to begin with. I genuinely feel Gent could do the same.

The wing backs were pivotal to how we played last season and even early parts this year but Kettlewells inadequate replacement of them or utilising them in the wrong position has caused us major issue. No surprise we looked more balance with Gent on and a left footer on the left. Also with Blaney on that side of the defence we look more balanced. 

I am a big fan of Casey but he has been at fault for a few goals recently and whilst I am not Mugabis biggest fan we would not have conceded those goals with him playing. 

However least said the better about the weakest link that is between the sticks for us. Genuinely he is like a little boy lost, every other team have a big presence in the goals we have someone who looks at the moment like a wee boy and is so weak that he gets bullied in the box and is scared to come of his line. Needs dropped asap.

Shaw should be punted from the squad immediately. Every single time he's featured he's either shown poor decision making, shat it when presented with a glaring opportunity, or both. Simply an awful, awful player. Despite his limitations you can at least see what Bair is trying to do (most of the time) and he can have a positive impact with some of his link up play. Not so with this clown.

I'd rather young Ross was given minutes to try and aid his development. You can far more easily forgive a raw youngster these kind of mistakes than an out and out donkey like Shaw. Surely, like the rest of us, Kettlewell has seen enough now to prove the guys simply not good enough?. 

Fair play to Kettlewell for making those changes last night and getting something from the game. First half was absolutely shambolic. 

Gent was terrific going forward, if we're going back to the 352 formation I think it's worth giving him a run.

Bair's link up play was great again, really don't understand the criticism that comes his way. He'd have bagged the winner if Shaw had anything about him. 

Probably a similar feeling to the Ross County game, frustrating but the team has shown there is character there. Need to stop gifting teams two or more goal leads before deciding to play though.