Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Gent's definitely got big question marks over his defending but the cross for the goal is a peach. And, no harm to Spencer, but that goal simply doesn't happen with him on the left as he'll dig himself into a hole trying to get that onto his right foot.

I've watched that Shaw stumble a few times and honestly it's embarrassing. One simple pass and Bair's got a tap in. Or even if he'd got a fucking shot away I could forgive him a bit. The guy is up there with our worst signings in recent years and that's a hell of a contest. 

17 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Is Casey perhaps struggling from a case of the Chrissy "I'd literally have signed anywhere else offering me more money so I missed pre season" Long?

Only the master of the art, Scott McDonald, has done that successfully.

I don’t think it’s fitness with Casey, he is just making a lot of mistakes that he wasn’t making last season. I’d say he was at fault for their first goal and quite often he is heading the ball back into danger instead of clearing his lines. I think like the rest of the team it’s a confidence thing . 

Both him and Paton are IMO trying to do things far too quickly and need to show more composure. 

Onto Slattery I would have him nowhere near the starting 11 on Saturday. He was simply appalling last night, either playing passes that simply weren’t on or running into traffic and losing possession. Him and SODS down the right simply does not work.

2 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I don’t think it’s fitness with Casey, he is just making a lot of mistakes that he wasn’t making last season. I’d say he was at fault for their first goal and quite often he is heading the ball back into danger instead of clearing his lines. I think like the rest of the team it’s a confidence thing . 

Both him and Paton are IMO trying to do things far too quickly and need to show more composure. 

Onto Slattery I would have him nowhere near the starting 11 on Saturday. He was simply appalling last night, either playing passes that simply weren’t on or running into traffic and losing possession. Him and SODS down the right simply does not work.

If we'd better cover than Mugabi I'd definitely drop Casey. As it is, I probably still would...I don't think SK will though.

I have a lot of sympathy for Paton and Slattery. Paton last night continually dropped deep to get the ball from defence and was faced with half a dozen static faces watching him. Slattery was usually the exception who tried to force something, got over eager and screwed it.

There's various tweaks we could try but I'd be benching Slattery and telling him to calm down while bringing in Davor as a proper six and letting Paton push up a bit.

Spittal has also been wildly inconsistent recently, it's only Slattery falling apart which has kept the heat off him. 

17 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

When can I watch a game of football that Liam Kelly doesn't play in, please?

13 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Glad we don't need to win any of these games with that selection of keepers.

I'm guessing Kelly has been poor during your bad run? 

I thought he was destined for big things when he moved south from Livingston. Since he came back up he's always seemed a pretty dependable keeper, so surprised to hear he's him getting stick. He's got a couple of dumplings in front of him that can't be making it easy.

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'm guessing Kelly has been poor during your bad run? 

I thought he was destined for big things when he moved south from Livingston. Since he came back up he's always seemed a pretty dependable keeper, so surprised to hear he's him getting stick. He's got a couple of dumplings in front of him that can't be making it easy.

I refer you to this previous statement:

On 01/11/2023 at 21:41, thisGRAEME said:

Fair play to the Motherwell commentator remarking about Kelly not making a save in the game.

Yes, predominantly because he's playing like he's been drinking turps.

Defence has been poor recently, but Kelly is getting very basic goalkeeping wrong, frankly he's been atrocious during this run.

While overall I don't think he's quite as bad as some folk are saying, he's also not half as good as our former media team think he is. 

Edited by MurrayWell

2 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Defence has been poor recently, but Kelly is getting very basic goalkeeping wrong. 

While I don't think he's quite as bad as some folk are saying, he's also not half as good as our former media team think he is. 

Kelly is hugely streaky. He's currently in a sub-optimal phase.

As a bizarre analogy, people sometimes say female tennis players find it harder to escape slumps because they get fewer free points on serve than men. When a 6'3'' goalie has nerves, he can cruise out for a couple of crosses, get a boost and settle. That option isn't available when you're a dwarf. At his best, Kelly commands his six-yard box and not a step further - when poor, venturing off his line at all is car crash stuff. He made a superb late on last night which he gets absolutely no credit for because it his liability of a punch which set it up...

He's always come back before and no doubt will again. He's fine for our level, usually at least, but Scotland...jings.

1 hour ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Folk defended Oli Shaw when he passed the ball back to the goalie v St Mirren, had a lazy predictable effort v Rangers and now last night’s abomination. Get him hunted!

I’d like to see Gent and Spencer on Saturday with O’Donnell having a lengthy season long stint in the bench. Based on the last few game me Casey needs dropped too. Maybe’s just not as good as we hoped/thought he would be?

Surely Davor has to start at some point now? 

We now know why Casey hasn't played at a decent level. Kissing the badge and banging your chest does not make you a better player. His honeymoon period is over in my opinion.

It is like watching a different team. I’m absolutely convinced something has to have happened behind the scenes for such a massive drop off across the board. Whether it be something “serious” or a case of egos getting in the road as players became fit, something isn’t quite right. 

Casey seemed more reliable on the left, but I’d like to see Blaney get a run, so stick with a Casey until McGinn is back then give him a rest.

Could we gamble with Mugabi on the right of the defence?  He did fine mostly in the centre with a remit to header everything, not sure I want to see him getting pulled about the flanks.

On 05/11/2023 at 11:18, ropy said:

If fit I would leave it at Blaney, Butcher, Casey - don’t risk a broken cheek (if Butcher’s nose is an issue it is Mugabi).

Surely the recruitment saw Spencer on the right Gent on the left, let us see it.

Miller on crutches will see Spittal, Slaterry and Paton with Davor off the bench.

The aim must have been Biereth and Wilkinson but maybe start with Bair and give Wilko a chance near the end.

If none of this works bring young Ross off the bench to run into gaps.

I think Blaney is due a run in the team to show us and the manager what he can do.  Not sure how many consecutive games he has played, can’t be more than 3.

Kettlewell is working towards this being the team, make it so.

Hearts are apparently struggling for natural right backs/defensive wing backs so it's as good a chance as any to start Gent like a lot of us are calling for. Especially after his attacking performance last night 

Agree with what most folk are saying last couple pages. Only thing I'd add is I'd not chop and change it too much so we can start building some proper relationships on the park. 

What @ropy said us my ideal team given what I've seen recently I think. I'd maybe give Davor a run though, maybe 

46 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Kelly is hugely streaky. He's currently in a sub-optimal phase.

As a bizarre analogy, people sometimes say female tennis players find it harder to escape slumps because they get fewer free points on serve than men. When a 6'3'' goalie has nerves, he can cruise out for a couple of crosses, get a boost and settle. That option isn't available when you're a dwarf. At his best, Kelly commands his six-yard box and not a step further - when poor, venturing off his line at all is car crash stuff. He made a superb late on last night which he gets absolutely no credit for because it his liability of a punch which set it up...

He's always come back before and no doubt will again. He's fine for our level, usually at least, but Scotland...jings.

Yeah. Kelly is currently the 'worst' Premiership goalkeeper by XG, in terms of 'expected shots' that he'd save, where he's currently underperforming by 1.5 goals;

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/scottish-premiership-stats-2023-24-opta/

What it is worth highlighting is that he's also faced the third most shots, which probably indicates some problems elsewhere within the team.

That the only goalkeepers that have faced more shots are Mitov and Laidlaw, who are both significantly over-performing does highlight where our issues are, however.

5 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Yeah. Kelly is currently the 'worst' Premiership goalkeeper by XG, in terms of 'expected shots' that he'd save, where he's currently underperforming by 1.5 goals;

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/08/scottish-premiership-stats-2023-24-opta/

What it is worth highlighting is that he's also faced the third most shots, which probably indicates some problems elsewhere within the team.

That the only goalkeepers that have faced more shots are Mitov and Laidlaw, who are both significantly over-performing does highlight where our issues are, however.

I’ve said previously Kelly is known for his shot stopping. Not for crosses, leadership, distribution etc. 

When he is underperforming on this, then he really has nothing to fall back on. He looks like a Championship keeper at best.