Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

16 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Sorry, should have been clearer: That's absolutely fine if that's your view point, broadly, I wouldn't argue it. I think flares are class, but I also appreciate that they come with an element of danger, and discomfort for others in the stadium. I'm generally quite tickled at the VLs banging the drum on twitter about how brilliant and amazing they are haven't been within 100 yards of one, but NEVERTHELESS.

More pertinently; As a club you cannot be punting season tickets, chucking photos and videos on socials of fans doing that, and going on and on about the wonderful support and the club that represents the fanbase, then go with that. You canny be tacitly endorsing it then not. Canny have it both ways.

Nah, can't agree here this time.

The club can absolutely have a different view point now to what has perhaps been broadcast before. Of course they can. 

Or are they supposed to just be big pyro fans now and forever because marketing and social campaigns previously used imagery around it? 

They rightfully condemned it.

Personally, I've got two reasons I don't like them. Firstly, I'm 40 years old. Secondly, my dad actually had to step out the stand during the week because of it. He's in his mid 70s and has poor lungs. He shouldn't have to do that. 

Edited by eliphas
Typo

5 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Nah, can't agree here this time.

The club can absolutely have a different view point now to what has perhaps been broadcast before. Of course they can. 

Or are they supposed to just be big pyro fans now and forever because marketing and social campaigns previously used imagery around it? 

They rightfully condemned it.

Personally, I've got two reasons I don't like them. Firstly, I'm 40 years old. Secondly, my dad actually had to step out the stand during the week because of it. He's in his mid 70s and has poor lungs. He shouldn't have to do that. 

I appreciate that, and as mentioned, for people exactly like your old man (and mine!) who are affected significantly more than I am by it, I wouldn't be arguing that it does no harm, of course it does.

Fair enough if that's your view on the club condemning it, but it comes across as enormously hypocritical to me. There's any number of example of them using photos and footage of it and effectively highlighting how 'brilliant' it is, as a tool of supporters, it just feels miles aff it in tone and content. 

4 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

I appreciate that, and as mentioned, for people exactly like your old man (and mine!) who are affected significantly more than I am by it, I wouldn't be arguing that it does no harm, of course it does.

Fair enough if that's your view on the club condemning it, but it comes across as enormously hypocritical to me. There's any number of example of them using photos and footage of it and effectively highlighting how 'brilliant' it is, as a tool of supporters, it just feels miles aff it in tone and content. 

I think if they go on to continue to use that imagery then we have a problem. But I do think they are within their rights to 'pivot' if that's the word to use. 

At St Mirren our club safety officer meets on a regular basis with fan groups, police, security and club management. He continues to stress that there are a number of issues with the use of pyro. 

Within all our support base we will have fans who suffer from COPD and other respiratory conditions. We will also have fans who may get very anxious within an environment that is covered with smoke etc. 

He highlights the concern of the unknown manufactur of many of these pyros. They may will contain all manner of damaging materials. Some may well be carcinogens. Some may cause immediate damage or be hidden for many years. 

Sure it looks great but is this really worth the risk?

The stadiums have the cctv, stewards and police to deal with these incidents. 

3 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Sure it looks great but is this really worth the risk?

It looks great if its in 10's of throusands of people at Galatasaray, Lazio, Boca etc.

And don't get me started on that fucking loudhailer, jesus christ. It isn't doing what you're imagining it's doing, it's just drowning out the actual songs/chants which you now can't hear because one person with a loudhailer is wayyyyyyyyyy louder than a crowd. That's literally the reason they exist.

As said above, it looks cool on a larger scale when there's 50k fans there, not so much when it's 20 folk. I don't believe it adds anything to the "atmosphere", and I'm not convinced it's safe to breathe in either.

If the people doing it think it adds to the atmosphere of the game and makes the experience better for everyone, maybe they should canvas their fellow fans on that, but they really just do it for themselves and would probably stop if it wasn't outlawed.

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

At St Mirren our club safety officer meets on a regular basis with fan groups, police, security and club management.

ours is a bellend.

3 hours ago, Al B said:

It looks great if its in 10's of throusands of people at Galatasaray, Lazio, Boca etc.

Lol. Said that a million times. 50 people and 3 flares! WOOOOOO!

14 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I saw Georgie Gent's Instagram profile earlier. It turns out his dad died at the start of October, that could go a long way to explaining his lack of action so far. 

Poor lad, really sorry to hear that.

Edited by Dosser1886

15 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I saw Georgie Gent's Instagram profile earlier. It turns out his dad died at the start of October, that could go a long way to explaining his lack of action so far. 

Sad to hear that.

Could also explain SKs persistence in playing Spencer at LB and SOD at RB.

These are the types of things that we as fans dont know about, and dont really think about when criticising managers and players.

Similar to Slattery last year, its totally understandable the club wouldnt want to comment on such private matters, but it puts context around what the manager and players are having to deal with.

They are all human beings at the end of the day......

Edited by joewarkfanclub

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Butcher has been fine as far as I can tell but it'd be good if the official account gave the impression of somebody who actually checked our results occasionally 

Literally just said the same to my mate. That and the highlights being named "Mentality monsters" after dropping points to the team bottom of the league gave me a chuckle.

Interesting points from SK on head injuries today, and it makes sense. If a player isn't in control of a tackle on the ground, and hits someone with their follow through, there's a good chance of a card, but players just throw themselves at headers with no guarantee of getting the ball. This obviously comes from two of our guys taking serious knocks, but it will be interesting to see if this evolves any.

5 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Literally just said the same to my mate. That and the highlights being named "Mentality monsters" after dropping points to the team bottom of the league gave me a chuckle.

I do admire the consistency in a way. I reckon we could go ten points clear at the top of the league or get knocked out the cup by Caledonian Braves and we'd probably just get a closeup of Bevis in the POD the next day either way

6 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Interesting points from SK on head injuries today, and it makes sense. If a player isn't in control of a tackle on the ground, and hits someone with their follow through, there's a good chance of a card, but players just throw themselves at headers with no guarantee of getting the ball. This obviously comes from two of our guys taking serious knocks, but it will be interesting to see if this evolves any.

Completely agree with him on this, tbh. For some reason, behaving like a moron doesn't count if you're in the air. Always minded of Boyata leading with him heid and absolutely leathering GMS into a state where he didn't know if it was Tuesday or August in the Betfred Cup final a few years ago. 

Had he been that clumsy on the ground, he'd have been off, in the air? Ach well, it's in the air, what else can you do!