Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

29 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Did he not absolutely fucking hate it here?

Believe so. However he’s been clubless since the summer do surely that would override his dislike of Scotland. 

Edited by wellboy1991

1 hour ago, wellboy1991 said:

Just heard an interesting rumour today about the return of a former player. 

What’s the old saying about a bad penny always turning up…. Or is it a bad Penney…

Would make sense tbh. If he was half the player from his initial spell I would be happy. 

3 hours ago, well fan for life said:

Did he not absolutely fucking hate it here?

That was the rumour and I mean, fair enough - as @eliphas says the way things shook out and the various rumours kicking around about the nick we were in while he was in charge it can't have been that much fun playing for Hammell.

It seems he had an absolute fucking nightmare at Charlton after his loan with us was up so (which I think we knew but a glance at one of their forums is a laugh)...I suppose there's a chance we don't seem that bad an option until the end of the season or whatever?

Screenshot2023-11-16at14_27_33.thumb.png.0ce4aad3e0050f6b4cb9619e579d1180.png

https://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/27293/deal-matt-penney-joins-loan

To echo @Desp and @Busta Nut get him signed - at the very least it'll mean we can sack off this policy of traumatising Spencer by forcing him to play out of position.

Edited by capt_oats

Is McInstry injured or just not getting a game for Queens Park? 

I see him mentioned every few pages as an option but I’m starting to wonder if, and I hate to say this, he’s maybe not quite cut out for this level? 

26 minutes ago, CoF said:

I see him mentioned every few pages as an option but I’m starting to wonder if, and I hate to say this, he’s maybe not quite cut out for this level? 

If McKinstry wasn't a Motherwell fan there's no chance anyone would care this much. He was fine but in the same bucket of middling wingers we've had over the years. And you don't see many folk longing for Jermaine Hylton.

Gboly Ariyibi gets a pass. Loved that guy. 

7 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Is he good to enough to accept that he really doesn’t want to be there and would be off at the first opportunity? 

I'd say it's debateable.

What isn't debateable is that he'd be head and shoulders above any other c**t that we've attempted to play at left wing-back this season.

49 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That was the rumour and I mean, fair enough - as @eliphas says the way things shook out and the various rumours kicking about about the nick we were in while he was in charge it can't have been that much fun playing for Hammell.

It seems he had an absolute fucking nightmare at Charlton after his loan with us was up so (which I think we knew but a glance at one of their forums is a laugh)...I suppose there's a chance we don't seem that bad an option until the end of the season or whatever?

Screenshot2023-11-16at14_27_33.thumb.png.0ce4aad3e0050f6b4cb9619e579d1180.png

https://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/27293/deal-matt-penney-joins-loan

To echo @Desp and @Busta Nut get him signed - at the very least it'll mean we can sack off this policy of traumatising Spencer by forcing him to play out of position.

"If he was a racehourse, they would be putting up the screens now"

That's sensational.  That's going in my pocket because I'm damn sure I'll be able to use it on at least one of the jobbers we've got playing for us this season.

4 hours ago, CoF said:

He's still getting up to fitness a QP mate told me. So not injured but had been training on his own for so long after Leeds let him go.

I really liked him, he offered huge promise mainly, but also something a bit different to what we have right now. I'd have had him back as an option off the bench / option when the 5-3-2 wasn't working.

The rumour I heard was he had no interest in coming back to us under SK due to the lack of game time he got. I'd also imagine SK want giving him any assurances due to being so focussed on a squad with no wingers/tricky type forwards 

Edited by eliphas

This is a slightly boring post but following on from the chat yesterday about our perceived lack of width/alternative shapes/Penney it kind of occurred to me that us bringing in Penney (or any other fit, experienced LB/LWB) kind of unlocks things a bit - assuming it's the case that Kettlewell (rightly or wrongly) doesn't trust either Gent or Spencer enough to start them at WB, either at all in Gent's case or ahead of SOD when it comes to Spencer.

You could make the argument that SOD has struggled when he's been asked to play as an orthodox full back and there were plenty of suggestions that Penney would actually have been better suited to LWB - that's absolutely fair comment but the upside would presumably be getting Spencer on to his natural side and the fact that both he and Gent offer a bit of pace along with Gent having shown in the limited time he been afforded on the park that he's got an excellent delivery.

As I say, based on what we have at the moment adding an experienced LB to the group opens up variations of 451/4411/433:

lineup.png.0bb67dd66505dd2087b274407800d199.png

Edited by capt_oats

Highlights from the new Lennon Miller contract video:

Stuart Kettlewell: I have said a lot of words that are a bit weird and dont make sense.

Lennon Miller: What?

Stuart Kettlewell: Yes.

Lennon Miller: Yes?

Stuart Kettlewell: Stay. These aren't the droids you are looking for.

Lennon Miller: These aren't the droids I'm looking for.

Stuart Kettlewell: You can go about your business.

Lennon Miller: I can go about my business.

Stuart Kettlewell: Move along.

A 9 minute video that could have been done just as effectively in 90 seconds, fast forwarded through most of his drivel. Delighted the boys signed the deal right enough, a real talent.

I've no doubt he's an astute coach, but if that's how he delivers instructions to the players it's no wonder they're not being carried out the way he wants, poor cvnts probably completely zone out before he gets to the punchline.