Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, Swello said:

I had it in my mind that he didn't actually manage us that day - and that Andy Watson, his assistant did - but that was probably the next week.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but didn't McLeish manage us for the last time v Rangers in the cup (Stevie Woods and all that), leave in the day or two after but only take Andy Watson as assistant after we got tanked in the replay?

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Official site claims Slattery is suspended but if his sixth card was against Celtic the suspension would normally kick in 14 days later?

That'd be my understanding.

Tbh if it is banned it makes Kettlewell's planning this week massively easier without having to figure out who to drop for Obika.

29 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but didn't McLeish manage us for the last time v Rangers in the cup (Stevie Woods and all that), leave in the day or two after but only take Andy Watson as assistant after we got tanked in the replay?

It was definitely the Hibs game. Andy Watson took that game against Rangers and I'm pretty sure once he went Griffin got at least a game before Kampman came in.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It was definitely the Hibs game. Andy Watson took that game against Rangers and I'm pretty sure once he went Griffin got at least a game before Kampman came in.

Right enough... Watson took the home game v rangers.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12364925.search-starts-for-well-after-mcleish-joins-hibs-clark-ready-to-fill-the-hot-seat/

Interesting when we're considering SK: Hands On Hibs, said they would get behind McLeish. However ... it was not healthy for a club like Hibs to have appointed four managers - including Jocky Scott - in a 16-month period."

Turned out fine for them , er...

Reading that article, I can't work out why Hibs were so keen for McLeish, never mind having paid £150k for him.

He took a very good team and turned them in to consistent relegation battlers.

I know selling O'Donnell and losing McKinnon and Lambert to bosmans can't have helped him, but he was more than backed in the transfer market. 

I can only imagine how spending £350k on Shaun McSkimming or £150k plus two players on an attacking midfielder, only to play him right back would go down in the days of social media and forums.

In contrast to last year, the calendar signing went much faster and I don't think anybody was left standing in the freezing cold for hours. Got there at quarter past 5 and was out by the back of 6, including time spent faffing around in the dugout/flash interview room and the changing room. Interestingly, we have our own list of "fineable offences" like the one posted in the Tin Pot thread a few days ago, and in the dressing room is a list of the 100-club players and managers around a pillar. Last name on it is Grimmy.
Ketts isn't on the calendar (will he last much into 2024??), but someone on my fb did get a selfie with him so he was around somewhere.

24 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Could’ve done with Ross County losing tonight. That’s a big result for them and I’m now getting decidedly  itchy about us getting a win asap. 

They’ve now taken more points in their past 2 games than we have in 10!

Aye just looked at the table, County have tramped past us.  Hadn’t quite realised we are 5th top goal scorers, looks like the tactic of signing hunners of poor to average strikers and getting them each to score a couple is paying off.  Let’s sort out the defence.

12 hours ago, ropy said:

Aye just looked at the table, County have tramped past us.  Hadn’t quite realised we are 5th top goal scorers, looks like the tactic of signing hunners of poor to average strikers and getting them each to score a couple is paying off.  Let’s sort out the defence.

Sort of related I noticed a post on Dundee's forum yesterday (not here) that I was curious about.

Screenshot2023-11-29at09_59_58.thumb.png.d47dc8d1923f9df162e667d8fe1a15d5.png

Like, don't get me wrong I see the broad point and I'm guessing they mean the form KVV (and the team in general) had under Kettlewell but the contrarian in me means I really can't help myself.

Last season (with KVV) under Hammell after 14 league games we were 9th (16 pts), had scored 18 (including 5 vs County) and conceded 19 - KVV had scored 7 in 14 appearances - 1215 mins. KVV mins per goal = 173 mins.

This season we're 9th (13 pts) we've scored 16 (2 fewer) and conceded 21 (2 more) - Biereth has scored 4 in 7 appearances - 406 mins. MB mins per goal = 101 min.

I mentioned in the match thread that where we are at the moment - specifically the fixtures we've lost - isn't that far off where you'd expect us to be in an average/slightly below average Motherwell season.

In comparison, going back to Robinson's first season after 14 games (a completely arbitrary number granted):

23/24 (Kettlewell) - P 14: 9th F: 16 A: 21 Pts: 13 - Final position TBC
22/23 (Hammell/Kettlewell) - P 14: 9th F: 18 A 19 Pts: 16 - Final position 7th
21/22 (Alexander) - P 14: 5th F: 19 A: 21 Pts: 21 - Final position 5th
20/21 (Robinson/Alexander) - P: 14 8th F: 15 A: 21 Pts: 15 - Final position 8th
19/20 (Robinson) - P: 14 4th F: 21 A: 22 Pts: 22 - Final position 3rd*
18/19 (Robinson) - P: 14 9th F: 15 A: 24 Pts: 14 - Final position 8th
17/18 (Robinson) - P: 14 5th F: 21 A: 16 Pts: 23 - Final position 7th

Clearly a number of these seasons saw a change in manager mid-way through the season in order to turn things around but I guess the point I'm making (if I'm making one at all) is that it's pretty fine margins between where we are just now and objectively *good* seasons where we've finished Top 6 or whatever.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Sort of related I noticed a post on Dundee's forum yesterday (not here) that I was curious about.

Screenshot2023-11-29at09_59_58.thumb.png.d47dc8d1923f9df162e667d8fe1a15d5.png

Like, don't get me wrong I see the broad point and I'm guessing they mean the form KVV had under Kettlewell but the contrarian in me means I really can't help myself.

Last season (with KVV) under Hammell after 14 league games we were 9th (16 pts), had scored 18 (including 5 vs County) and conceded 19 - KVV had scored 7 in 14 appearances - 1215 mins. KVV mins per goal = 173 mins.

This season we're 9th (13 pts) we've scored 16 (2 fewer) and conceded 21 (2 more) - Biereth has scored 4 in 7 appearances - 406 mins. MB mins per goal = 101 min.

I mentioned in the match thread that where we are at the moment - specifically the fixtures we've lost - isn't that far off where you'd expect us to be in an average/slightly below average Motherwell season.

In comparison, going back to Robinson's first season after 14 games (a completely arbitrary number granted):

23/24 (Kettlewell) - P 14: 9th F: 16 A: 21 Pts: 13 - Final position TBC
22/23 (Hammell/Kettlewell) - P 14: 9th F: 18 A 19 Pts: 16 - Final position 7th
21/22 (Alexander) - P 14: 5th F: 19 A: 21 Pts: 21 - Final position 5th
20/21 (Robinson/Alexander) - P: 14 8th F: 15 A: 21 Pts: 15 - Final position 8th
19/20 (Robinson) - P: 14 4th F: 21 A: 22 Pts: 22 - Final position 3rd*
18/19 (Robinson) - P: 14 9th F: 15 A: 24 Pts: 14 - Final position 8th
17/18 (Robinson) - P: 14 5th F: 21 A: 16 Pts: 23 - Final position 7th

Clearly a number of these seasons saw a change in manager mid-way through the season in order to turn things around but I guess the point I'm making (if I'm making one at all) is that it's pretty fine margins between where we are just now and objectively *good* seasons where we've finished Top 6 or whatever.

COVID seasons are not canon.

Thank you.

51 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think it’s where winning, losing and drawing games in a different order would probably make the difference here. Form does play a big part in perception. Put just one of our early wins into the last ten matches and it’ll feel like wheels are a bit wobbly but we’ll probably be okay. Instead, the trajectory is very much wheels falling off. 

I think 2021 2022 is an interesting season in that sense. We qualified for Europe with that last minute comeback at Livi to get top 6 then two good wins over Ross County and Hearts at the end, but by the time that all came round everyone was so fucked off with Grezzaball and that run of 11 games without a win (which felt like us chucking it) that celebrations were almost through gritted teeth. The trajectory had sucked the good-will out the fans. If that run hadn’t been so eye-bleeding awful and peppered with the odd win here and there would it have felt like a really successful season? Who knows. I suppose we’d still have had shit fitba to sit through. 

1 hour ago, CoF said:

I think 2021 2022 is an interesting season in that sense. We qualified for Europe with that last minute comeback at Livi to get top 6 then two good wins over Ross County and Hearts at the end, but by the time that all came round everyone was so fucked off with Grezzaball and that run of 11 games without a win (which felt like us chucking it) that celebrations were almost through gritted teeth. The trajectory had sucked the good-will out the fans. If that run hadn’t been so eye-bleeding awful and peppered with the odd win here and there would it have felt like a really successful season? Who knows. I suppose we’d still have had shit fitba to sit through. 

We do have a more extreme sugar or shite than most clubs, I think? We've been living with fairly wild swings in form since latter day Robinson, Alexander or Kettlewell. Hammell was just shite. 

Robinson we were great for the first half 2019/20, then barely kicked a ball until it was canned. Started the next season doing the things we should then fell off a cliff to be emptied in January.

Alexander from that January 2021 until around December 2021 was pretty much what you'd expect from us, then were an eye-bleeding shambles until he was binned post Sligo.

[SCENE MISSING]

Kettlewell barely lost a game from February 2023 til September 2023 and then has barely got a point since.

It's quite tiring, tbh.