Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Got to hand it to Ketts. He’s a clearly hopeless manager but he’s good at the PR side, which seems to count for more.There’s not many managers in world football who can go 15 games without a win and not be bagged, but he’s managed it. Managed it despite his only other managerial role being a failure. 
Probably end up getting another Premiership gig after he gets emptied too. 

What’s the longest we’ve went in the top flight without a win? This certainly feels like we’re now breaking records with each passing game. 

What’s the longest any team has went without a win in the top flight? How long did Gretna, Dunfermline, Accies, Dundee or any other relegated team of the last 20 years go between wins? 

7 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

What’s the longest we’ve went in the top flight without a win? This certainly feels like we’re now breaking records with each passing game. 

What’s the longest any team has went without a win in the top flight? How long did Gretna, Dunfermline, Accies, Dundee or any other relegated team of the last 20 years go between wins? 

Livingston went 14 games without a win in 2005/06 (twice).

Hamilton seem to have gone on a 20 game winless run in 10/11 too.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 hours ago, Quatermass said:

I don’t think he can be sacked now. Why would McMahon and Weir want to do that when they will both be gone soon? It’ll be a decision and task for the ‘new’ team. Given that they likely won’t be in place until Feb/March at the earliest, I think Kettlewell is here for the season regardless of results. It’s a mental situation to be in and just highlights how badly the Club has been run for quite a few years now.

This is exactly what i thought as soon as this announcement was made.

46 minutes ago, ropy said:

I am sufficiently contrarian that being well clear of bottom and hanging on to the pack while not winning any games for half a season is almost a badge of honour.

Lets see how it pans out.  Cup run?

I've always said that when we go down, I want it to be a comical, clear the decks effort. I'd much rather continue like this and get relegated in March than on the last day.

That said, this squad is not inherently doomed despite current form...but a new manager is long overdue.

Today was clearly shite but we've given away enough games to Rangers in the past it's hard to get worked up about. 

I suspect Livingston will be vitriolic.

Today changes nothing. 

if we lose heavily at Pittodrie then Ketts will be toast but I’m hoping we can take at least a point. Livingston is do or die - a defeat would be unthinkable.

As regards the transfer window my Santa list includes Van Veen on loan, Penney as cover/ rotation for LWB and a tough tackling midfielder in the style of Ally Gorrin . Oh and a tricky winger/ entertainer please. What’s Ariyibi up to these days?

15 minutes ago, Al B said:

We haven't won a game in about 12 years, and yet there's a team FIVE points behind us, and there's a scenario that could take us to 8th in a couple of days.

Madness.

Reminds me of us making it into europe under Alexander and we were fckn hopeless. But every team around about us were so inept they couldn't overtake us. Sad indictment of how awful the SPFL truly is. Sligo was the inevitable result of us making it.

On 17/12/2023 at 20:08, ropy said:

So 2 respectable defeats then some sort of result against Livingston will see us enter the winter break. And the transfer window.  What are we looking for, we already have a hundred strikers and as many central defenders out injured as we play on a game day. Is it midfielders and wingers?

Surely Biereth has come across some talent during his days in the youth ranks, get another couple of young guys in.

What is our shopping list?

24 minutes ago, ropy said:

The only reason I can think of for SK bringing Shaw on in recent games is to determine if there is any value continuing with his loan.  Is he ahead of Bair and Wilkinson?

No idea...there are no doubt some snippets we're not party to but largely I think SK has just over-thought things into a right muddle.

20 minutes ago, ropy said:

The only reason I can think of for SK bringing Shaw on in recent games is to determine if there is any value continuing with his loan.  Is he ahead of Bair and Wilkinson?

Shaw is utter pony, whereas Bair (who is also pony) at least gives defenders a bit of a run around and something to think about. 

Kettlewell is still addressing post match interviews with the air of someone who has half an idea how to fix things. He clearly hasn't. 

The board are too weak to punt him at this point with the imminent departures, I just wish he had the honesty that Robinson had to admit himself that the job is fucked and be willing to walk away. At this point we are potentially sleep walking towards disaster. 

3 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

The board are too weak to punt him at this point with the imminent departures, I just wish he had the honesty that Robinson had to admit himself that the job is fucked and be willing to walk away. At this point we are potentially sleep walking towards disaster. 

Not that I want to diminish Robinson and McCall for walking away but both did so with enough credit in the bank so they'd have been very confident of getting another job...Kettlewell is back to youth gigs or scouting at best, the risk/reward for him is totally different.

47 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Not that I want to diminish Robinson and McCall for walking away but both did so with enough credit in the bank so they'd have been very confident of getting another job...Kettlewell is back to youth , or scouting at best, the risk/reward for him is totally different.

I totally get that his options will be far less than the other two, but sometimes you've just got to admit the job is fucked and give it up for the greater good, no? It is a few quid no doubt, but he will hardly become a millionaire waiting for his contract to pay out.

Decisions taken over the next few weeks could be massive for the long term future of the club. The Society,  as a vehicle, is obviously scraping by at current subscription levels. Drop down a division and those sub's fall off a cliff and then you're potentially looking at Dunfermline or Falkirk years of oblivion. We've come close to the drop a few times in recent history, but I honestly think the decisions and results in the next couple of weeks are going to be pivotal in the clubs long term future. We must get a few key positions both on and off the pitch 100% right or we could be completely fucked.

Edited by 'WellDel

1 minute ago, 'WellDel said:

I totally get that his options will be far less than the other two, but sometimes you've just got to admit the job is fucked and give it up for the greater good, no? It is a few quid no doubt, but he will hardly become a millionaire waiting for his contract to pay out.

Decisions taken over the next few weeks could be massive for the long term future of the club. The Society,  as a vehicle, is obviously scraping by at current subscription levels. Drop down a division and those sub's fall off a cliff and then you're potentially looking at Dunfermline or Falkirk years of oblivion. We've come close to the drop a few times in recent history, but I honestly think the decisions and results in the next couple of months are going to be pivotal in the clubs long term future. We must get a few key positions both on and off the pitch 100% right or we could be completely fucked.

As an individual and professional Kettlewell's greatest good is himself. If he resigns now, when does he get his next managerial gig? If he holds on, who knows, maybe the 1 in 100 chance it turns round works out.

Dunfermline - and I think Falkirk, though I'm not sure - were massively in debt when they went down. If we go down, there's no reason a base of 3,500-4,000 fans isn't enough to have us challenging to come back.

As for the Society... who knows again. For me, the Society was never intended to pump money into the club to support regular operations. Maybe it should be but it's certainly not set up for that now and even if it was - a big ask in terms of (wo)man power, they'd be coming back again and again to the same folk who already pay.

I'd certainly be surprised if Society subs drop off if relegated though. Folk tend to rally round in times like that,big you're invested in the Society to spend regularly I don't see why you'd walk away.