Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

21 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

As an individual and professional Kettlewell's greatest good is himself. If he resigns now, when does he get his next managerial gig? If he holds on, who knows, maybe the 1 in 100 chance it turns round works out.

Dunfermline - and I think Falkirk, though I'm not sure - were massively in debt when they went down. If we go down, there's no reason a base of 3,500-4,000 fans isn't enough to have us challenging to come back.

As for the Society... who knows again. For me, the Society was never intended to pump money into the club to support regular operations. Maybe it should be but it's certainly not set up for that now and even if it was - a big ask in terms of (wo)man power, they'd be coming back again and again to the same folk who already pay.

I'd certainly be surprised if Society subs drop off if relegated though. Folk tend to rally round in times like that,big you're invested in the Society to spend regularly I don't see why you'd walk away.

I'm not so sure. I've been going to Fir Park for 40 years and always will, I'll always do what I can too in terms of sub's etc ,. I'm just not so sure that the whole current Society membership would stay the same, folk are fickle.

I know the Society is more a back up than a money machine, but a relegation and bad first season down there, imho, could easily and realistically see a drop off of 1,000 or more in both sub's and attendances, which could be a disaster. A large percentage of our support have known nothing but top flight football and relative success, with European qualification and trips to Hampden every few years. A drop to the relative mediocrity of mid table Championship level could see a lot of them chuck it. As I say, I honestly see the decisions and appointments made in the next few weeks/months as being crucial to our long term health and prospects. I just pray we get them right.

Edited by 'WellDel

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

Oli Shaw is our most used sub but he has less goals/assists that the other attackers. I assumed he’d be the one to get his loan cut short to free funds.

I'm sure Oli Shaw is a nice guy, but describing him as a striker is an offence under the Trades Description Act.

I’m so confused. Obviously I want us to stay up but I think I would be livid if these imposters start performing again under yet another new manager. 

Just get the fingers out and do the basics well you spineless c***s (I appreciate this isn’t how modern football works.)

9 hours ago, Quatermass said:

I don’t think he can be sacked now. Why would McMahon and Weir want to do that when they will both be gone soon? It’ll be a decision and task for the ‘new’ team. Given that they likely won’t be in place until Feb/March at the earliest, I think Kettlewell is here for the season regardless of results. It’s a mental situation to be in and just highlights how badly the Club has been run for quite a few years now.

Of course he can be sacked. I mean, I'm not saying he will be but Burrows had announced he was stepping down and we still binned Hammell.

It's still on those currently in charge of the club to act in its best interests.

Tbh, I'd say that the most likely move in the event that Kettlewell was binned would be that we'd look to bringing in a short term guy. I mean Brown was originally only supposed to be taking a temporary role after Gannon exited so it's not like it's unheard of.

Also, big up @dezz for doing the wish-list for the Terrace Patreon.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Oli Shaw is our most used sub but he has less goals/assists that the other attackers. I assumed he’d be the one to get his loan cut short to free funds.

That would surely require Barnsley to actually agreeing to take him back - which seems optimistic. Alternatively we/they find another team to take over his loan.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's the right move but given Kettlewell not only brought him to Fir Park (albeit in last minute circumstances) but also signed him for County I'm not sure he's likely to be looking to cut him loose.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, ropy said:

I really want to see us play with a formation where someone different does the wrestling with the centre backs and Biereth picks up the scraps and knock ons to run in on goal.

I think that's where a pairing of Obika + Biereth potentially works but the two of them have barely had a chance to develop anything due to the former's injury and us chucking goals in right, left and centre.

Mika up front by himself doesn't get the most out of a clearly talented player and with Davor showing he can do a job I think we have the balance needed in midfield in Miller's absence.

Paton has, in my eyes, shown he's cover at best. He's not good enough with the ball and continuously switches off when we don't have it. I think there's more value in sacrificing him for one other to partner Mika up top.

1 minute ago, fat_tony said:

Paton has, in my eyes, shown he's cover at best.

I don't even think it's harsh to say Paton, Davor, O'Donnell, Bevis, Obika, Bair and Shaw are all cover at best, and 90% of them make the first team most weeks. It shows your the current predicament of our overall squad.

1 hour ago, Blink182 said:

I don't even think it's harsh to say Paton, Davor, O'Donnell, Bevis, Obika, Bair and Shaw are all cover at best, and 90% of them make the first team most weeks. It shows your the current predicament of our overall squad.

This is entirely it. We have a team full of 'squad players'. Guys who you would have on the bench as options, or as cover if your first picks were out injured or suspended. 

Outwith Mika up top who offers a bit of excitement when he has the chance and Spittal on his day, who else in our squad would be a guaranteed starter in any other team in the league? We undoubtedly have a few who are up to it on their day (Mr Slattery), but those days are few and far between.

Kettlewell needs to go, but we need a canny manager to come in who can get the percentages and performances of a lot of journeymen and jobbers up to at least 6 or 7's out of 10 consistently for the remainder of the season to drag us out of this. It's a very big ask. Who that man might be on our budget, I have absolutely no fucking idea. 

The current predicament has a similar feel to the Roger Hynd era. A tremendous start and genuine hope before the wheels fell off. 

Relegation followed and a complete clear out occurred. 

Unfortunately, I believe relegation could slide us into same situation as Dunfermline, Falkirk and others. 

SK was asked to cut the numbers which he has done. Unfortunately, recruitment and team formations have hamstrung us. 

Next steps are crucial to MFC. We can't get this wrong. 

Incidentally, it went south after taking a 2-0 lead against Rangers at Fir Park. Cue bottles flying and mass pitch invasion. 

I hope SK can navigate this horrendous run, but the powers that be, must recruit the correct players during the window. 

SK must also look at a more expansive game. Midfield too slow and zero width. 

Continuation with same tactics/similar players will result in a southerly trajection. Whatever happens, I can only hope for continued top division survival. The next 2 matches are massive.