Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 18/12/2023 at 22:44, Al B said:

Chris Hemsworth and Matt Le Blanc takeover, Ben Foster in goal, The Cycling GK sweet as a nut, documentary imminant, 100% filmed and directed by the boy that creeps about the main stand with his camera on transfer deadline day, narrated by Goggsy.

I mean I didn't expect this to be the actual plan 😬

Edited by Al B

50 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Wait. Haud the bus, this was done by an external company? And we signed off on it?

Fuuuuuuuucking Hell.

@Busta Nut it's in my post - I muted her ages ago but she's right tbf.

a) Her hating it instinctively makes me want to defend the video for some reason

b) Glad to see that she thinks we don't investment - great that she's added accountancy to all the other things she's an expert on.

c) Honestly can't believe an actual advertising agency would want this on their showreel.

30 minutes ago, ML4 said:

As a Well Society member, I have fired off an email asking exactly how much we paid “Scotland’s leading advertising agency” for this clueless tripe. Would encourage others do to do the same. It will easily be in the five figures.

I know a few of the Well Society board would like to make it known the Well Society had nothing to do with the video. 

28 minutes ago, ML4 said:

As a Well Society member, I have fired off an email asking exactly how much we paid “Scotland’s leading advertising agency” for this clueless tripe. Would encourage others do to do the same. It will easily be in the five figures.

What I think is the wee 'viewed' thing on twitter suggests it's been seen/clicked well over half a million times within hours.

I'm not a social media expert so someone else can correct me but I suspect the agency - who would have created the video to a precise brief - will very much be feeling job well done.

As for whether the cost is justified from our pov, time will tell...there's a phrase about fools and their money, and plenty of them out there (and yes, most of those are us in the society, honk honk!).

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I know a few of the Well Society board would like to make it known the Well Society had nothing to do with the video. 

So everyone thinks it's shite. The fans, the CEO, the media team and the 'Well Society 

40 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

As a man who still hasn’t got over those 2 Scott McDonald goals on the last day all those years ago, I think it’s actually quite good. Think people are taking it a bit too seriously. 

If Motherwell are 3rd their fans are lapping it up.

I know its being said they didnt play a part in it, but Motherwells media team in general have seemed woeful at reading the room. Fairly sure there was a spell of interviewing players on the pitch after the match even when losing regularly.

This is another one of those, probably. The type of think they could've just waited to put out a better time.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

What I think is the wee 'viewed' thing on twitter suggests it's been seen/clicked well over half a million times within hours.

I'm not a social media expert so someone else can correct me but I suspect the agency - who would have created the video to a precise brief - will very much be feeling job well done.

As for whether the cost is justified from our pov, time will tell...there's a phrase about fools and their money, and plenty of them out there (and yes, most of those are us in the society, honk honk!).

The end goal is making money. It is not the internet watching a video. 

The real number will be about 50,000 anyway. Most people are so aghast they’ve had to watch it 10 times over.

2 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Can well believe it. Looking forward to the society holding the board to account oh wait it's two of their own guys and the chairman who is leaving...

You do raise an excellent point though of just who chose to go down this road. We don't have a Burrows/Russell in comms and while I don't know the media team beyond 'Scott', the implication on here is he's the producer rather than big vision guy. Weir himself freely admits he's a numbers and admin guy so who came up with this wheeze and where can I get a lunch that boozy?

I should add I'm not wanting a witch-hunt or sacking etc, just curious.

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

Can well believe it. Looking forward to the society holding the board to account oh wait it's two of their own guys and the chairman who is leaving...

You do raise an excellent point though of just who chose to go down this road. We don't have a Burrows/Russell in comms and while I don't know the media team beyond 'Scott', the implication on here is he's the producer rather than big vision guy. Weir himself freely admits he's a numbers and admin guy so who came up with this wheeze and where can I get a lunch that boozy?

I should add I'm not wanting a witch-hunt or sacking etc, just curious.

Any of the board got offspring who fancy themselves as a film director who might have got involved?

Struggling to get worked up about it.

Doubt it was the plan but seen some deliberately utter shite advertisement campaigns created just for the purpose of upping the profile and getting publicity. If that was the aim then job done.

1 minute ago, ML4 said:

The end goal is making money. It is not the internet watching a video. 

Obviously. But the more reach the more likely it is you hit an idiot and in the worst - I think we can assume likely - case Taylor Swift or someone doesn't a cut us a check, it's a base measure for various things in the future. If an expensive one.

Can club sponsorship be written off against tax?

I think the video would be fine to encourage existing and potential Well Society members to restart their £5/£10 a month subscription.  I’m not sure it works at the corporate level.

33 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Urge them to speak out publicly for a change. They are completely voiceless and have the power to do something about that.