Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I’ve probably slaughtered Daws as much as anyone but in fairness I think one of the main reasons our recruitment seems wild now is he’s working with his 3rd manager in as many years.  

I think these set-ups work better when there’s a strong relationship between the manager and his role. Foyle and Robinson for example seem to work hand in glove and you can see the benefits of a stable “type” of player that they know to look for.

Daws probably had that with GA, for example I’m sure I remember seeing one of the main reasons behind Sol and Ojala signing were that the numbers showed them as being strong in winning duels within the penalty box etc which is an attribute that suited the way we played under him (love it or loathe it). 

The whole thing looks a lot less joined up now and there’s probably a strong case for Daws leaving when the rest of that group did, however I’m sure there’s financial reasons why that never happened. 

5 minutes ago, Reidy said:

The whole thing looks a lot less joined up now and there’s probably a strong case for Daws leaving when the rest of that group did, however I’m sure there’s financial reasons why that never happened. 

Presumably we'd either have had to pay him off up front or stick him on gardening leave for the rest of his contract. That would have been alongside us paying 3 managers & 3 assistants all at the same time. 

7 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

Presumably we'd either have had to pay him off up front or stick him on gardening leave for the rest of his contract. That would have been alongside us paying 3 managers & 3 assistants all at the same time. 

Aye, it doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere. Unless Alexander sticks around somewhere long enough to come back in for him..

24 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

14 minutes ago, Reidy said:

Aye, it doesn’t look like he’s going anywhere. Unless Alexander sticks around somewhere long enough to come back in for him..

I mean, ultimately unlike the other backroom roles Alexander/Burrows created that were quietly wound down at the end of last season I'd guess that the club see value in the HoR role so if we were to have moved Daws on then we'd have been looking to recruit one anyway.

IIRC Kettlewell made the point when things had settled down a bit last season that he didn't have the benefit of the sort of infrastructure we have when he was at County. If that's the case then it's not like he had previous working relationship with a HoR that we'd have brought in to work alongside him (sidenote: I see Adams has our very own Greg Strong in that role in Dingwall now, having previously worked with him at Morecambe and Plymouth). 

I guess it's a pretty subjective thing. I've pointed out before that Foyle and Robinson brought as many, if not more, competition winners to the club as Daws but whether it's the Alexander association he seems to take far more heat for decisions that are ultimately being made by the managers.

Edited by capt_oats

To be honest , 3 or 4 guys that know the league well is probably what we need right now. I still wouldn't seeing another premier league academy punt or something. But Main, Halliday and Montgomery should all do a reasonable enough job. We know what we are getting from all 3, probably reasonably cheap, safe signings.

Main and Biereth would be an absolute handful.

4 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I always find being linked with players like this very amusing...the same fans who complain about the lower league shopping plans are often also against the sort of established pros who are actually viable for us.

I appreciate Rangers and Hearts weren't exactly at the top of their game when he was there but the notion a guy who has played 200 times for those clubs, reached finals, won derbies etc won't do a decent job for us for 6-18 months seems some stretch.

And when you consider that our current midfield options are Spittal, a 17-year-old coming back from injury and a waif just finding his feet in the team, an experienced cynical b*****d like Halliday is just what we're after.

This guy will improve the squad.. My recent recollection of him was scoring and setting up goals so maybe we could use him in a more attacking role. We also have Butcher who is meant to be our cynical midfielder

Just now, redstarcvedza said:

This guy will improve the squad.. My recent recollection of him was scoring and setting up goals so maybe we could use him in a more attacking role. We also have Butcher who is meant to be our cynical midfielder

Meant to be but I'm afraid Butcher has some amount of convincing to do it that his injury at Livingston didn't end him at this level.

If Halliday and Main come in, alongside Montgomery, I think I'd be pretty happy.  As others have said, they are all low-risk options who will be a net improvement on the squad, in positions where we definitely need assistance.

These three obviously to be joined by the obligatory Championship development side loanee, announced at 11:45pm on deadline day.

23 hours ago, Phillips455 said:

Yeah.

What a terrible situation all around

‘ and the nature he has picked up this injury only makes the situation worse for the player’

Does this mean something?

It always amazes me when I see the averse reaction to us being linked with players that we are aware of, like Halliday. I think sometimes our fans have almost a delusional view on our standing in the football world and at times a borderline arrogance into thinking that someone like Halliday, or Montgomery, or Curtis Main wouldn't be a reasonably good signing for us.

Given our attempts to go left field in the past few years have brought us Ojala, Sol, Efford and Danzaki, if we are in the midst of a battle, I think signing players who've proven themselves to be decent in this league is the path we should be taking (at least in the short term).

I must admit to having changed my opinion on Halliday since hearing him in the media. I think he actually comes across quite well and appears knowledgable on Scottish football as a whole, rather than just being an Old Firm sychophant as most ex-players are. However, the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter too much whether I like / dislike the perception of a player that I have, as long as they do the business on the park.

I'd be happy enough with Halliday. Solid if unspectacular, knows the league and will do a job filling the gap left by Slattery. Let's face it, he's another body to keep Barry Maguire as far away from the first XI as possible. 

I'd also be more than happy with Main. For all his limitations as a player he'd almost certainly offer more than Obika, Shaw and (possibly) Wilkinson have this season. His goal to make it 3-0 in the Scottish Cup semi final against Aberdeen is also one of my favourite moments supporting Motherwell. 

As for disliking a player for where their allegiances lie. I find that bizzare tbh. Take helicopter Sunday for example the dressing room post match was split down the middle on who was celebrating or slightly gutted with the results.

The majority of players we sign won't be Well fans 😆 

58 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

It always amazes me when I see the averse reaction to us being linked with players that we are aware of, like Halliday. I think sometimes our fans have almost a delusional view on our standing in the football world and at times a borderline arrogance into thinking that someone like Halliday, or Montgomery, or Curtis Main wouldn't be a reasonably good signing for us.

Given our attempts to go left field in the past few years have brought us Ojala, Sol, Efford and Danzaki, if we are in the midst of a battle, I think signing players who've proven themselves to be decent in this league is the path we should be taking (at least in the short term).

I must admit to having changed my opinion on Halliday since hearing him in the media. I think he actually comes across quite well and appears knowledgable on Scottish football as a whole, rather than just being an Old Firm sychophant as most ex-players are. However, the bottom line is that it doesn't really matter too much whether I like / dislike the perception of a player that I have, as long as they do the business on the park.

Aye.

I've kind of talked myself round on the Halliday signing. It's a low bar but not being Bob Malcolm is a start I guess - clear that and we can work from there.

The Open Goal-ness of it all is more a me problem than an Andy Halliday problem but no one's asking me to go for a pint with him or his idiots by association.

Also, I had no problem with Scott McDonald, Craigan and McManus taking on media work while working for the club so I'm not about to clutch my pearls about Halliday doing a podcast (that I don't listen to).

As I said yesterday this feels like the shortest of short term windows and I'd guess Slattery's injury has blindsided us - so if this is a straightforward deal that's able to be done quickly then crack on.

Taking all that into account, if he does sign, we'd be getting an experienced player who can cover a couple of positions and adding him to a squad that quite frankly we've been saying needs a certain *type* of player added to it. I wouldn't necessarily be quick to place Halliday alongside Lasley, Hammell, Hartley, Aldred or Allan Campbell but equally he found himself as stand-in captain of Rangers on occasions on The Journey.

Ultimately even when we're doing well we're working in a pretty limited market in January. The bigger picture signings feel like projects for a Summer window.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Interesting 🤔

I like the comments from their fans...

"Total Waste"

"Good Riddance"

"Should have gone a long time ago"

It seems football fans are the same the world over, even in India 🙂.

He may not end up at Fir Park but I also believe he would be a better option than Shaw and Obika. He knows the league. He knows Motherwell. 

He really came onto a game at the end of his time with St Mirren. 

I am up for it.