Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

34 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

One of the only players I'd be really disappointed to lose. Hopefully we are already working on something with him. If we aren't it's pretty poor management from us. 

Pretty sure Kettlewell said the other day that we'd been speaking to a bunch of the OOC players I can't remember if he mentioned Spittal by name but you'd imagine he'd be one of them along with Kelly (who he has previously mentioned) et al.

As @Handsome_Devil says, Spittal would be absolutely fucking mental to commit to anyone at a St Mirren/Motherwell level just now.

Here you go, the context was Slattery being OOC and broken:

"We've had talks with a lot of players, several players who are out of contract about their future." (I've timestamped it in the video below so no one has to sit through the full 17 mins.)

Edited by capt_oats

54 minutes ago, santheman said:

Rumours going around that Spittal been offered a PCA by the Midden

I wouldn’t be bothered about this just now, we don’t know what league we will be in, we don’t know what Spittal’s form will do over the next few months.

I assume this news wouldn’t be announced by any of the parties but  as a player I wouldn’t be pleased about it being leaked. 

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I like Spittal but I'm not sure Robinson would know what to do with him tbh. I think he is being blinded by the Motherwell connection 

This was actually my thought as well when I saw it mentioned.

Like, Spittal's been smashing for us and it wouldn't be a surprise if Robinson chucked money at him based on the last couple of seasons but he's not very Robinson-y.

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

This was actually my thought as well when I saw it mentioned.

Like, Spittal's been smashing for us and it wouldn't be a surprise if Robinson chucked money at him based on the last couple of seasons but he's not very Robinson-y.

Yeah the first 4-3-3 was obviously built around Turnbull who I suppose is sort of a rich man's Spittal if you squint a bit. Other than that though I'm not sure who the closest equivalent is- Bigi? Polworth?

I think Robinson is slightly more progressive than the hammer thrower tag- when he isn't letting Dunne charge about trying to kill folk- but I'd still think of his archetypal midfielder as a big guy that can run about a lot.

1 hour ago, santheman said:

Are there ever any rumours doing the rounds which aren’t negative?

.Not having a go at the post btw, it’s just my general impression that the whole club is swimming in negativity.

14 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Yeah the first 4-3-3 was obviously built around Turnbull who I suppose is sort of a rich man's Spittal if you squint a bit. Other than that though I'm not sure who the closest equivalent is- Bigi? Polworth?

I think Robinson is slightly more progressive than the hammer thrower tag- when he isn't letting Dunne charge about trying to kill folk- but I'd still think of his archetypal midfielder as a big guy that can run about a lot.

See, I'd say that Turnbull was more a rich man's Sean Goss for us than anything. Just out there pinging passes about the place and running the show from the middle of the park.

Polworth is probably the closest Spittal comparison IMO.

Edited by capt_oats

I'd be gutted to lose Spittal, he's been great for us and so important. 

I'm not sure a Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen etc would be looking at him so if he's offered more money by a club our size or a club in L1 down south I couldn't really begrudge him leaving given he's 28 and probably that next contract needs to be a good wedge. 

I'd be up for making him one of the top earners to be honest. 

I heard at the game last week Oxborough is our second top earner so on par with that maybe....

Edited by eliphas

57 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

I would genuinely be disappointed if we lost Spittal to Saints however would not in the slightest be surprised. 

I would be because I think he'll 100% have a much better offer than either us or St Mirren will make from down south.

If he turns that down because he reckons he'll still be a well-paid young man and will value the short commute and more family time and/or playing for the team he supports, fair fucks to him and I'll wish him all the best.

However, he's 28, in the best form of his career, has never banked a truly big deal before, probably knows this is his peak move...if he's not in England, or at least Edinburgh, after summer I'll be very surprised.

16 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I agree on making a good effort to keep Spittal but this bit can't be true...I mean surely not?!?

That’s a story that’s been floated before. I think I remember having read it on SO ages ago.

The idea was he’d been brought in to replace Kelly or something.

Tbh, given we’ve seen Kettlewell emptying folk left right and centre on account of budget you’d have thought if it was the case then he’d have been moved on one way or another.

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

That’s a story that’s been floated before. I think I remember having read it on SO ages ago.

Tbh, given we’ve seen Kettlewell emptying folk left right and centre on account of budget you’d have thought if it was the case then he’d have been moved on one way or another.

You never know but I find it hard to believe we'd have committed a high wage to another GK before Kelly had signed his exit papers...and like you say, we'd surely have loaned him somewhere, anywhere, if it were true.

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Aye it was really just chatter in the stand. I can believe the signed him up when Kelly was part way out there door. But you make a good point about Kettlewell 

2 hours ago, santheman said:

I am shocked. 

Does their scouting department extend beyond looking at anyone that's been half decent for us? It's beyond parody now. 

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

I am shocked. 

Does their scouting department extend beyond looking at anyone that's been half decent for us? It's beyond parody now. 

The scout shares a season ticket with the Stum Graz guy