Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

41 minutes ago, Richie said:

Yeah, I got my ticket for the Dublin terracing.

There were 2 other options, but they said home.

Would prefer the terracing anyway, unless its pissing down.

As a Saints fan, that post makes me so envious.

Aside from probabilities of making the next round, away to Morton or home to the Green Cheek - polar opposites in atmospher enjoyment level.

Edited by Bobby_F

1 minute ago, well fan for life said:

Considering every rumour we've had has wound up elsewhere I can't wait to see what waifs & strays turn up on our doorstep in 36 hours time. 

Motherwell FC are pleased to announce the return of Oli Shaw to the club on a 3 year contract.

I'm surprisingly calm about the recruitment situation. 

Halliday*, Montgomery**, Elliot and Nicholson all seem good acquisitions so I kinda trust the manager and club at the moment 

* I was negative about this was for reasons other than fitba. But I did always say he'd probably do absolutely fine for us tbf

** Pre injury seemed a great start to his well career 

3 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I'm surprisingly calm about the recruitment situation. 

Halliday*, Montgomery**, Elliot and Nicholson all seem good acquisitions so I kinda trust the manager and club at the moment 

That would definitely be fair in normal circumstances but the position we've contrived to get ourselves into up front is anything but.

The second of the strikers you hope we sign might just be a body but the other is supposed to be a top pick (relatively) who will hit the ground running.

I've been relatively calm till now but nerves as re fraying.

I suspect we'll end up with Nouble and a championship loan...just a feeling.

1 minute ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We've almost went 8 hours without some sort of humiliation or catastrophe... ahh, Mika is slagging us off in the Danish press.

I read that article earlier and tbh I think it's one of those that just translates badly.

There's nothing there that isn't true - we're towards the bottom of the league, Sturm...aren't, from the POV of the progression of his career I'm sure it was a fairly straightforward decision etc.

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

We've almost went 8 hours without some sort of humiliation or catastrophe... ahh, Mika is slagging us off in the Danish press.

Hope Max Johnston clatters him in training. 

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

I read that article earlier and tbh I think it's one of those that just translates badly.

There's nothing there that isn't true - we're towards the bottom of the league, Sturm...aren't, from the POV of the progression of his career I'm sure it was a fairly straightforward decision etc.

Haha aye, I was being a bit flippant. It entirely makes sense from his perspective, just feels like adding insult to injury a bit.

Touched on this before but that's Hibs confirmed they have permission to join the Bournemouth food chain.

It's obviously sad that it's come to this but you can't change reality or the modern world as much as we'd like. 

Dundee have basically already declared their hope to become a feeder club for Burnley and I suspect everyone else - certainly outside the biggest four - will be rushing to follow suit, ourselves included.

3 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Touched on this before but that's Hibs confirmed they have permission to join the Bournemouth food chain.

It's obviously sad that it's come to this but you can't change reality or the modern world as much as we'd like. 

Dundee have basically already declared their hope to become a feeder club for Burnley and I suspect everyone else - certainly outside the biggest four - will be rushing to follow suit, ourselves included.

Yeah I said similar yesterday. It's far from ideal but I imagine more likely somebody chucks us a bit of money in return for a "strategic partnership" than Taylor Swift just giving it no strings attached.

4 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

Maybe we should try to do it with Arsenal... bring them down from the inside. 

They'd only end the deal after 6 months and link up with Slask Wroclaw instead.

This is sounding a bit £5m loan to Newcastle but I dunno if we could be leveraging the Miller situation a bit more. Say to to some of the English clubs interested they can get "first refusal" or something in return for their Biereth equivalent on loan. Not even sure that's legal tbf.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

This is sounding a bit £5m loan to Newcastle but I dunno if we could be leveraging the Miller situation a bit more. Say to to some of the English clubs interested they can get "first refusal" or something in return for their Biereth equivalent on loan. Not even sure that's legal tbf.

One of the reasons why partnerships don't work - as opposed to feeder clubs being basically reserve teams - is first refusal is entirely impractical. If Dundee do develop a superstar, how likely is it he'll want to go to Burnley and not man utd? And how happy will Dundee be at accepting a lower fee so he goes to the parent club?

Bizarrely my bigger hope in this revolution is less partnerships but more business folk who are already in football look at the lack of collective marketing, shite TV deal in Scotland and feel the clubs are undervalued.

12 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

That would definitely be fair in normal circumstances but the position we've contrived to get ourselves into up front is anything but.

The second of the strikers you hope we sign might just be a body but the other is supposed to be a top pick (relatively) who will hit the ground running.

I've been relatively calm till now but nerves as re fraying.

I suspect we'll end up with Nouble and a championship loan...just a feeling.

I think I'm somewhere in between tbh.

I'm hopeful that we sort the rest of the squad out in a pretty straightforward way and in fairness between Halliday, Elliot and Nicholson the signings we've made have been entirely pragmatic and sensible. It feels like that's been the profile we've gone into the window targeting.

That's all fine...

The worry is, of course, the striker positions as it feels everything hinges on that however the "blue chip" options seem a bit fanciful and while it's it's nice we're looking it's not helpful if they don't get done however equally it's hard to see how the more 'functional' options that might be available replace what we've lost. 

It's interesting to see that's Burns indicate that ideally we'd like a left back as well. I mean, I suspected to be the case as soon as the Montgomery news broke. It's a question of how far on with deals we are and whether we've left ourselves a bit too much to do in the remaining 2.5 days before the window *slams* shut.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

One of the reasons why partnerships don't work - as opposed to feeder clubs being basically reserve teams - is first refusal is entirely impractical. If Dundee do develop a superstar, how likely is it he'll want to go to Burnley and not man utd? And how happy will Dundee be at accepting a lower fee so he goes to the parent club?

Bizarrely my bigger hope in this revolution is less partnerships but more business folk who are already in football look at the lack of collective marketing, shite TV deal in Scotland and feel the clubs are undervalued.

Yeah one thing I did think is that you're sort of hitching yourself to one particular wagon. Dundee have obviously got Beck back now but in the future would Burnley not maybe say, hawd on, you're not helping develop players for another team in our league.