Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

21 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

It'll never not wind me up that we let away teams shoot toward their own fans second half. Even if it's something likely to swing it by about 1%.

I suppose it depends on us winning the toss.

But I agree with you that we should play towards the Cooper 1st half next time we play Celtic . I definitely think they get a lift playing towards that end with corners and pressure in the latter stages and I think the psychological swing would be quite high .

Killie have got this stuff stitched up, horrible plastic pitch and sit the away fans in the upper tier = terrific home record. 

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Apologies to @thisGRAEME for brazenly lifting his Tweet here but when taken alongside @gregthewellfan's post re: Gent this is interesting in so much as our recruitment has taken a kicking from certain sections...

Ironically, the only outfield area of the park we haven't added new players to is centre half.

Apologies to everyone for sharing Euan Taylor's pro-Dessers propaganda.

3 hours ago, Neil86 said:

whilst I totally agree with the general point, that isn't down to the additional subs, five subs but only on three occasions.

unless you mean that being able to change nearly 50% of the 22 on the field then i'll wrap it and agree with the full point.

Aye - it's that. even though there are "only" six occasions - the players troop off separately and changing that many players overall can make it feel like a pre-season game..

1 minute ago, Swello said:

Aye - it's that. even though there are "only" six occasions - the players troop off separately and changing that many players overall can make it feel like a pre-season game..

All great when you are ahead/ winning games and this disrupts the flow of the match. We’re not very good at winning games though so I think you notice it more on a stinking run of form.

1 hour ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I suppose it depends on us winning the toss.

But I agree with you that we should play towards the Cooper 1st half next time we play Celtic . I definitely think they get a lift playing towards that end with corners and pressure in the latter stages and I think the psychological swing would be quite high .

Killie have got this stuff stitched up, horrible plastic pitch and sit the away fans in the upper tier = terrific home record. 

I sort of assumed that away teams agree to not rock the boat given that we shoot towards the South Stand first 99% of the time and surely aren't winning the toss with that sort of frequency. 

It's the same at other grounds mind, I always felt that if we were 1 down with a few minutes left at Accies then the away crowd started to spook them a bit.

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

By the by, that's a good email from The WS about the new operating structure and the focus group sessions that went out just there.

Yep, all good info. I'm going to go to one of the sessions, it will be weird giving opinions without editing them a few times first.

18 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I know he isn't Mr Popular but... WHAT THE f**k IS GOING ON

Only logical explanation is there was an ancient burial ground below the east stand that got disturbed during the recent health and safety work . We are now suffering serious bad Juju .

Genuinely, has there ever been a season where so many bad things both big and small have happened? When you add them all together, it's actually bizarre (and a miracle that we aren't in last place by a relatively comfortable margin...)

5 hours ago, Neil86 said:

whilst I totally agree with the general point, that isn't down to the additional subs, five subs but only on three occasions.

unless you mean that being able to change nearly 50% of the 22 on the field then i'll wrap it and agree with the full point.

I think the nearly half of the 22 is the bit I find most annoying.

I also think the three windows to make subs is in some ways worse and lead to so many double subs, that should be single subs, but a manager doesn't want to lose one from his quota.

If you think about wing backs alone, O'Donnell has been subbed on 5 times and subbed off 10 times and Gent has been subbed on 8 times and subbed off 4 times. I know we play a back three and the games changed, but it wasn't so long ago you only changed a defender if he was either rotten or injured.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Genuinely, has there ever been a season where so many bad things both big and small have happened? When you add them all together, it's actually bizarre (and a miracle that we aren't in last place by a relatively comfortable margin...)

It really is a mental season. If we survive this we could win the treble next season with some luck 

Don't know the inner workings of the SPFL but I would have thought there was a lot of pressure from wee teams to go back to 3 subs seeing as it was a temporary measure.

When a team in theory can introduce 5 subs with combined wages could pay your whole squad for 3 weeks then its added to the "something is pretty wrong" list of  why our game continues to increase the wealth and sporting gap rather than address it. Not that our OF record before 2020 was anything special.

But as we are in a 11-1 voting system seems it is here to stay.

However, it does feel like its looking to shut the gate once the horse has bolted. There are more pressing issues over us repeatedly switching off, not recognising momentum swings and being caught on the hop trying to deal with them. You'll attain more points over a season addressing this than having access to 5 subs.