Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

50 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I've always thought Spittal was a good player. Don't him numbers show that? I mean he's obviously been great recently but I always liked him.

He's on 11 goals and 9 assists in all competitions this season. One more assist makes him the first player to get double figures in both since Lionel in 2013/14. 

If he'd got the same "numbers" as last season (6 goals / 7 assists) I'd have been more than happy with that return.

Him being just as good lately you can probably attribute to him not having to play wing back or as a deep lying midfielder.

56 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

He's on 11 goals and 9 assists in all competitions this season. One more assist makes him the first player to get double figures in both since Lionel in 2013/14. 

If he'd got the same "numbers" as last season (6 goals / 7 assists) I'd have been more than happy with that return.

Him being just as good lately you can probably attribute to him not having to play wing back or as a deep lying midfielder.

The feeling was it was neigh impossible to replace a 29 goal striker when KVV left, it was going to have to be a moneyball combination of two. Fast forward till now and between Spittal who was already in the building and Bair who we got for a song it looks like we're on course to do it.

Kev's down on Transfermarkt with only 2 assists last season, that can't be right surely?

Bair is on 11/4 and Spittal as you say is 11/9 with 9 games left to play.

(EDIT: Further scouring of TM shows Spittal has assisted Bair 3x and been reciprocated once, so combined they are 22/9 as it would be impossible for KVV to assist his own goal .... actually .... probably is)

Edited by Vietnam91

2 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I've always thought Spittal was a good player. Don't him numbers show that? I mean he's obviously been great recently but I always liked him.

Tbf he had a bit of a hard time finding his role in the early Hammell era but yeah, like yourself i always thought there was something there. I'd still have given long odds on him doing a double-double for goals and assists mind.

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Tbf he had a bit of a hard time finding his role in the early Hammell era but yeah, like yourself i always thought there was something there. I'd still have given long odds on him doing a double-double for goals and assists mind.

Aye.

In fairness though, I don't think that was necessarily down to the bold Blair. :)

40 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

The feeling was it was neigh impossible to replace a 29 goal striker when KVV left, it was going to have to be a moneyball combination of two. Fast forward till now and between Spittal who was already in the building and Bair who we got for a song it looks like we're on course to do it.

Kev's down on Transfermarkt with only 2 assists last season, that can't be right surely?

Bair is on 11/4 and Spittal as you say is 11/9 with 9 games left to play.

(EDIT: Further scouring of TM shows Spittal has assisted Bair 3x and been reciprocated once, so combined they are 22/9 as it would be impossible for KVV to assist his own goal .... actually .... probably is)

I had some time to kill so I worked all of this out. In terms of league goals scored, we are actually significantly ahead on this stage last season and ever so marginally ahead on how we finished.

I was pleasantly surprised also to discover we are two points better off than we were at this stage last season. However, there is the massive caveat that I really do not see this team, as much as we may be improving, winning 6 and drawing 2 of the final 9 games, scoring 17 goals in the process.

To answer your question about assisting your own goal, some places considering being fouled for a penalty an assist - so under those rules, Mika assisted himself against Ross County. They're never awarded with both though.

This season: 29 games 41 goals - 1.41 goals per game.

Last season: 38 games 53 goals - 1.39 goals.

Last season (at this point): 29 games 36 goals - 1.24 goals.

This season:

1. Bair (11 / 41) - 26.8% 

2. Spittal (7 / 41) - 17.1%

3. Biereth (6 / 41) - 14.6%

4. Wilkinson (3 / 41) - 7.3%

5. Vale (2 / 41) - 4.9%

6. Mugabi (2 / 41) 

7. Casey (2 / 41)

8. Slattery (1 / 41) - 2.4%

9. Obika (1 / 41)

10. Halliday (1 / 41)

11. Paton (1 / 41)

12. Nicholson (1 / 41)

13. Blaney (1 / 41)

14. Devine (1 / 41)

15. Ross (1 / 41)

Last season:

1. Van Veen (25 / 53) - 47.2%

2. Spittal (6 / 53) - 11.3%

3. McKinstry (4 / 53) - 7.5%

4. Slattery (4 / 53)

5. Johnston (3 / 53) - 5.7%

6. Tierney (2 / 53) - 3.8%

7. Efford (1 / 53) - 1.9%

8. Solholm (1 / 53)

9. Moult (1 / 53)

10. Mandron (1 / 53)

11. Goss (1 / 53)

12. Obika (1 / 53)

13. Mugabi (1 / 53)

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

Big fan of the club including the Casey tackle in their wee story of the match highlights package.

A real lack of respect there 😆

This was very well put together, these are always pretty cool.

8 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Fwiw, I dunno if anyone else here joined the 'workstream' calls over the day yesterday and my overall feeling is that there are a some things within the Society that are a wee bit concerning, but that the current board are very much grasping the nettle to move things forward.

The overall acknowledgement both there and here from Jay that there needs to be a real drive and aim, rather than simply existing is key, IMO, so it was good to see that it's happening.

The session was good, and it's encouraging to see the plans that the current board have. There's a lot for them to cover, so I like the idea of getting others involved in the work streams.

My only issue coming out of the session was that some of the issues raised need to be handled by the club- like raising match day revenues, recruiting new fans, budgeting, brand, etc. Increasing the society's presence on the executive board as planned (and maybe one day having a CEO) will hopefully help that.

3 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Agreed on both points. Was beginning to think my memory was going especially with the play-off game.

Maybe it was skewed in my memory from where I was sitting. My seat at the time was in row V up the back of the cooper and there was an entire row of about 8 of them directly in front of me as well as others at both sides. Everyone else was a regular so they were very conspicuous in their attempts to blend in until walking out en mass as the second went in 

25 minutes ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

Maybe it was skewed in my memory from where I was sitting. My seat at the time was in row V up the back of the cooper and there was an entire row of about 8 of them directly in front of me as well as others at both sides. Everyone else was a regular so they were very conspicuous in their attempts to blend in until walking out en mass as the second went in 

I think you're getting your games mixed up. I sit the row behind "W" and there were none that I was aware of conspicuous or otherwise that day.Flow and the staff did a great job that day in keeping the infiltrators out.

"Skippy Sunday" was an entirely different matter. 

Edited by steelman1991

27 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

I think you're getting your games mixed up. I sit the row behind "W" and there were none that I was aware of conspicuous or otherwise that day.Flow and the staff did a great job that day in keeping the infiltrators out.

"Skippy Sunday" was an entirely different matter. 

Definitely not because I watched Skippy Sunday on a dodgy stream on my phone while hiding behind the bananas in Morrisons. Could have been at the other side of the stand from you but there were definitely plenty around me that day and barely an empty seat whereas the same area was pretty sparsely populated for the previous 19 games 

On 03/03/2024 at 12:47, 'WellDel said:

Seeing his Twiter handle there I'm guessing the bold Dan was barely born the last time we won in there in the league.

Checked this earlier just because I was bored. The win in 1997 was 5th of May, the bold Dan was practicing headers against his mothers internal organs. He wasn't born until October.

2 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

They missed a couple, specifically an assist for Tierney for a consolation goal against Celtic, there was another in the same time frame.

2 minutes ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

"sectarian tackle"

Known to be most fruitful when fishing, especially on Friday's.

Casey was heard to utter "Holy Mackerel" in the 75th minute.

1 hour ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

Definitely not because I watched Skippy Sunday on a dodgy stream on my phone

Someone's definitely getting mixed up here...surely you couldn't have been watching football matches on your phone in 2005? 

52 minutes ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

There have also been rangers fans checking his old tweets. I saw one person refer to his tackle as a "sectarian tackle" because he is Irish and tweeted about Celtic 10 years ago

Fair play to Casey for getting a few games in against Rangers before executing his plan to crock someone. If he did it every game someone might clock onto his plan.

Seriously though, what a sad sad existence it must be to be that bitter and paranoid. I see some ex ref chimed in just to keep the fires of injustice burning.

43 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

Fair play to Casey for getting a few games in against Rangers before executing his plan to crock someone. If he did it every game someone might clock onto his plan.

Seriously though, what a sad sad existence it must be to be that bitter and paranoid. I see some ex ref chimed in just to keep the fires of injustice burning.

The same ex ref who was hunted from the English leagues because he was shite.

1 hour ago, Al B said:

Someone's definitely getting mixed up here...surely you couldn't have been watching football matches on your phone in 2005? 

Stream is maybe overegging it slightly. More like score updates from somewhere. I was definitely working in 2005 during the game, definitely hiding to find out what was happening on my phone and definitely was sitting among loads of rangers fans at the play off. No way I could be getting mixed up if I wasn't at the Celtic game

22 hours ago, Dosser1886 said:

The game that had everything funny goalkeeping, pumping the ****, punch up between the players, pitch invasion, home fans noising up the greeting ****, police horses on the pitch,

Days like this and helicopter Sunday make it all worthwhile.

Poke in the eye with a flag stick.