Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

41 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Perhaps technically but unless we go 12/12 we'll be needing help...Hibs have County (albeit away) and both St J and Livingston at home before coming to FP. Dundee will also look at their fixtures and see plenty points.

Being the team in form for a late charge is great but like last year we've left a little too much to do.

Yep, 12 from 12, totally in our own hands 😃

Before we kick another baw, the two teams we'd be vying for top six with will play two teams below us.

It's hard to know what the ideal outcome is, but given what we've been through so far this season, incredibly glass half empty I know, but I think I'd be happy enough to start writing off top six early for Hibs to beat Ross County and Dundee to beat Aberdeen.

Dundee or Hibs will likely be in the top six anyway - I'd rather they took points off those below us in doing so.

Top 6 would be great.

Allows the club to ignore relegation and start budgeting for next season.

Potentially let us throw Blair Spittal an extra wedge in any new contract.

I do think we will be just short though unless we can somehow go 4 from 4. Which would actually be 6 on the bounce overall.

Big ask.

2 or 3 wins should see us safe before the split though so not a huge disaster if we dont get it.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Before we kick another baw, the two teams we'd be vying for top six with will play two teams below us.

It's hard to know what the ideal outcome is, but given what we've been through so far this season, incredibly glass half empty I know, but I think I'd be happy enough to start writing off top six early for Hibs to beat Ross County and Dundee to beat Aberdeen.

Dundee or Hibs will likely be in the top six anyway - I'd rather they took points off those below us in doing so.

Aye, I'd be fine with that...if you offered me wins over Aberdeen and Dundee, who'll probably be in the bottom six with us, and losses to St Mirren and Hibs, who probably won't, we're safe pre-split and will be looking good for eighth with an outside chance of seventh. 

3 hours ago, redstarcvedza said:

Got to be top 6 just for the outside possibility of another helicopter sunday

Absolutely this. 

I couldn't give a f**k who wins the league if it isn't us, but I'd very much like to lose someone it.

21 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Absolutely this. 

I couldn't give a f**k who wins the league if it isn't us, but I'd very much like to lose someone it.

I'd like to stay away from any potential split in the dressing room again, and avoid any pettiness with loans going into next season. You know what they're like

52 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I can’t be arsed playing the old firm tramps again so bottom 6 with the aim of finishing 7th would suit me .

See the way you are feeling this weekend, how much you are looking forward to going into work tomorrow and seeing all your Rangers pals , isn't that what football is all about?

I would much rather have another crack at them in the top 6 than a 2 nil win against Ross County.

1 hour ago, Stevie Kirk said:

I can’t be arsed playing the old firm tramps again so bottom 6 with the aim of finishing 7th would suit me .

f**k that. Give us Celtic and Rangers and we'll skelp the both of them.

27 minutes ago, SteelyDosser said:

I'd like to stay away from any potential split in the dressing room again, and avoid any pettiness with loans going into next season. You know what they're like

Nah f**k 'em. LETSGOOOO 

4 hours ago, redstarcvedza said:

Got to be top 6 just for the outside possibility of another helicopter sunday

50 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Absolutely this. 

Would be top tier trolling if, on the final day, we brought on our most hapless striker in the death throes of a game and he miraculously roofed a 25 yarder to change the destination of the trophy.

To that end, I'd be all over Oli Shaw Sunday.

3 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I suppose this highlights the two schools of thought Joe. Belief that we can push on and overtake or a desire to widen the gap below us and make it insurmountable.

I'm in camp that I look at the 4 games left all against our immediate peers for 6th. I always want us to strive to achieve everything we could.

The two overriding issues this season is a defence not defending and the whole squad being often sloppy and being handicapped into chasing the game to get a point at best far too often. But I do feel it can still be in our own hands, especially if you consider they both face Sevco and probability suggests the points tally tonight remains the same with equal games played.

The uphil task is looking to get 15 points from 15 (with three already achieved), we've not done anything like it so far in 2023/24 but it is the sort of from we were in a year ago.

For me we're maybe a week too early to give up on top six and everything that it means.

But denying a sister a title would pale to reeling in the B team to get Europe ahead of them.

Edited by Vietnam91

1 hour ago, thisGRAEME said:

Absolutely this. 

Helicopter Sunday was the first game I took my son to and it cemented him as well fan forever

Nice that the chat has gone from we're fucked to top 6 or bottom 6 but safe. What's your preference boys and girls.

Until it's mathematically impossible that we can't f**k it up I'm keeping my powder dry.

4 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

I'm still smiling (I'm the first aider on the left, my brother is on the right).

This is up there with my all time Motherwell photographs.

nintchdbpict000002983349.jpg

The boy in the jester top should have a statue outside the Main stand.