Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

For the record, I think Bevis & SOD both get a much harder time than Casey, not just on the forums but our support in general.

Let's be honest the only player who gets a harder time than Bevis & SOD is Kelly.

3 hours ago, MurrayWell said:

FWIW I think we'll offer both SOD and McGinn another year. I'd imagine Bevis will be heading for the exit, along with Butcher, Obika, Maguire and Callan Elliott. 

There will probably be more exits, given the number of contracts that are up, who knows what will happen with Kelly, I'd expect us to try and keep Slattery.

I think that's probably about right. I don't think there's any doubt both SOD and McGinn will be offered another year, Bevis too probably although I'd imagine given he's 28 he might fancy a change of scene. Whether they choose to stick around is a different question but given the length of time Bevis has been here (outside of Maguire he must be our longest serving first team player?) I just don't see us telling any of the 3 to f**k off - I'd think we'll have a conversation and make an offer but it's a different question as to whether whatever we offer suits.

Same with Kelly. I don't see us just packing his bags given he's a player who isn't only our captain but has been incredibly present, for better or worse. The only games he's missed were the LC games where SK rested him to give big Aston a run out.

Kettlewell and Kelly were on record earlier in the season about having had discussions about a new deal and I'd imagine we'll offer him something as I think we've seen that he goes in cycles of being perfectly fine, good even and going off a cliff. 
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/motherwell-skipper-liam-kelly-parks-31287997

IMO, he's a player who'd probably benefit from a change of scenery but it's tough to see where he'd land that would give him the game time he gets here. He was third or fourth choice at QPR when we picked him up and despite the Scotland call ups I don't think his stock has risen any since then so it's hard to see him trading up or what his options would be likely to be if he's wanting to be guaranteed first choice.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, eliphas said:

This was the conundrum for me but I'd rather keep McGinn at 33/34 Vs SOD at 31/32 I think. 

McGinn has been very good for us. Just quietly going about his business, solid 7/10 every week. I’d be quite happy to see his deal extended. 

The defence absolutely needs strengthened in the summer but I don't think it's a case of needing a total clear out. Casey, McGinn and SOD are generally fine at our level but all capable of moments of madness. I'd imagine we may use the latter two more sparingly in future given their age but both are experienced pros who have something to offer. I'm yet to be convinced by Blaney but it's possible given a run of games he could develop further.

I'm okay with Bevis as a squad player. He can do a job when brought in as cover or for the more attritional games but I equally wouldn't be devastated if he moved on.

Regardless, we really need a leader in the defence. Casey and Butcher paired really well last season but with Butcher looking finished I think we need someone else who can provide a calm presence in the back line to complement Casey's slightly chaotic energy.

Left and right backs remain an issue (we've absolutely won a watch with Gent this year but he's destined for bigger things), and I'm assuming Kelly will be away.

Good opportunity, given the reported wages, to try and change things around and bring in some quality to supplement the defence.

I'd love us to have a genuine alternative to the back 5, let us have a workable plan B.

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

Things tightening up in the bottom six, we still have games to win.

There's no realistic scenario where you lose 5 games with us and County both winning 3.

I still think we've safety in numbers. All the teams below us would have to go on a winning streak while we totally collapse. While I'm 100% sure we're capable of falling apart, I don't think all the others below us are good enough to pick up enough points to put us in 11th.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

A couple of strategic draws against County and Saints probably does it to be fair.

We're going to try and draw our way to safety regardless, so we won't be gaining the points needed on you.

Talking of defenders for next season would we welcome back Adam Montgomery? Not sure what his contract situation is at Celtic but for a while it looked like he'd be our LWB with Gent playing further up the park so perhaps an option for next season?

The County Result now puts a bit of pressure back on. Only a 7 point gap between us and a county.

Which is still very bug with only 5 games left but we simply cannot take the plot split games for granted.

Hopefully neither the away games to county and Aberdeen are on the Wednesday scheduled fixture. Can't believe they did that to nearly all the county/Aberdeen fixtures against us this season.

2 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

Hopefully neither the away games to county and Aberdeen are on the Wednesday scheduled fixture. Can't believe they did that to nearly all the county/Aberdeen fixtures against us this season.

I wonder if all 5 of Dundee's game will be away as we have a new season to start in August.

2 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

The County Result now puts a bit of pressure back on. Only a 7 point gap between us and a county.

Which is still very bug with only 5 games left but we simply cannot take the plot split games for granted.

I would be even more concerned if I were a St Johnstone fan. County look a more capable team certainly in terms of scoring goals.

Our GD effectively works as an extra point v teams below. I think 1 more win and 40 points would do the job. We should be capable of at least 1 win or 3 draws post split. 

It's between us and County, and Aberdeen dependent on their manager search.

Stop panicking.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Dundee fans are generally sound compared to St Mirren fans (on this Board) but tbh that would not be difficult. A couple have thanked us for helping them get top 6 yesterday. One with a clearly tongue in cheek post. So not sure I get the fuss. If it was not us then I am quite happy Dundee made the top 6. 

That allroy for prez boy goes about the board trying to go on the wind up when things are going well at 'Well. He instantly starts drinking puddles and heiderin' his keyboard when it's not though. I blame absolutely nobody but him if people shitpost to garner his crybaby antics.

Delicious viewing.

The Simpsons Kiss GIF by FOX International Channels

19 minutes ago, Phillips455 said:

7 points and a much better goal difference. 

4 minutes ago, Blink182 said:

When are fixtures likely out?

Usually decided on Monday after talks with police etc. Then announced on the Tuesday.

I think they might push it back and announce it on SKY with eh Dundee vs Rangers games. Do they can show which ones they have picked and possibly as an apology of having to go back to Dens Park again.

35 minutes ago, OhWell said:

Talking of defenders for next season would we welcome back Adam Montgomery? Not sure what his contract situation is at Celtic but for a while it looked like he'd be our LWB with Gent playing further up the park so perhaps an option for next season?

Totally forgot he was a thing so honestly I'm not arsed.