Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Kelly played a massive part in keeping us up in his loan spell and securing European football. Even last season I suspect he was clearly in the positive for his net points contribution. This season, bit shit for sure, but if you're considering it an "experiment" there's no way it failed in terms of the return even if wildly optimistic hopes of actually selling him didn't work out.

It's time for a change for sure not nor should we suddenly rewrite Kelly's spell with us to be worse than it was.

Probably not altogether accurate but I would say during his time with us his 1st 1/3 was very good. He was excellent for us when he came on loan from QPR. Otherwise I suspect there would have been more of a noise surrounding us signing him and his salary.

His 2nd 1/3 as it were was OK. UPS and downs and I would say he was acceptable.

This final 1/3 I would say had been bang average. He has had two or three good games notably against the Old Firm. But the stats do not lie. Lowest save % in the top flight and fewest clean sheets. The latter you can include the defence as being culpable and a contributory factor. The save % is what it is. Add in his howler at Morton in the cup and I would say time to go which he will be all things probable. 

Hasn't the "he's on £4k a week" story been rubbished several times on here?

The chat was, although he's at the higher end of our pay scale, he got a large signing-on-fee which made up for his considerable wage drop when leaving QPR.

Kelly is nowhere near as bad as some make out ( neither was stevie woods), but his form doesn't justify him being in our top earners. He may go somewhere else and be phenomenal, but I'm happy to take that risk.

Aaron Chapman is hands down the worst keeper we've had, and that I've ever seen. Craig Samson runs him very close.

10 minutes ago, Desp said:

Hasn't the "he's on £4k a week" story been rubbished several times on here?

The chat was, although he's at the higher end of our pay scale, he got a large signing-on-fee which made up for his considerable wage drop when leaving QPR.

Has it ? I think it was well known he was on the highest salary by some distance. 

I meet a well known goalie around where I live. We both walk our dog. I talk to him all the time. Decent lad. Anyways he knows Neil Alexander well. He confirmed to me only last week the wages are accurate. More interestingly he also said that Alexander rated Oxenborough very highly. Which made me ponder why he never got a chance this season.

I don't really get why Joe Lewis would come here to be 2nd choice tbh. He's presumably based in either England or Aberdeen and could get decent money either doing whatever he's doing at Man United or in League 2 down here. 

1 hour ago, rowsdower said:

Kelly is nowhere near as bad as some make out ( neither was stevie woods), but his form doesn't justify him being in our top earners. He may go somewhere else and be phenomenal, but I'm happy to take that risk.

Aaron Chapman is hands down the worst keeper we've had, and that I've ever seen. Craig Samson runs him very close.

I would suspect that we pushed the boat out to get him back after his loan spell and whatever wage he was on at that point in time the club thought he was worth that. 

It's the right time for Kelly to go. A fresh start needed for all as, despite being more good than bad, a lot of our fans simply won't forget the bad. 

I'm not overly worried about who we bring in. When we set out to get keepers our record over the past 10-15 years has been largely good (Randolph, Ruddy, Gillespie, Carson, Kelly - even Ripley and George Long were largely okay). Based on very little, I'd probably be more worried if we gave the number 1 jersey to Oxborough purely because he's been hanging about for long enough. It's situations like that where we've been badly stung with keepers (see Samson *shudder*, Twardzik, Hollis). 

I appreciate this is probably a bit harsh on Oxborough but if he hasn't been able to get a game over Kelly this season then it doesn't exactly fill you with confidence despite what Neil Alexander apparently says. 

3 hours ago, Desp said:

The guy at the back of the East Stand who shouted nothing but "Come on Connor!" for a full season will be absolutely over the moon.

Who's he on to now? I canny think what he last shouted.

On Kelly. It's nae secret I am not a fan. He was sensational on his loan spell and maybe even 6 months after that. (it wasn't even his fault these years we got put out the Scottish cup.). He's alway had a clanger in him and they are very frequent. 

9 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Folk in football tell wee fibs and lie by omission constantly when talking to the media - which is fair enough, because they're dealing with real people, decisions get made in advance, you need to maintain civil relationships within the club, appear professional for the future etc.

Spittal, for example, had a couple of weeks banging in worldies, which was obviously time-limited, and duly returned to being solid enough. Had his move to Hearts been agreed but kept quiet, it would have been noticed with a nod and nothing more. Instead the move leaked and entirely predictable return normal is greeted with accusations he's not trying.

Kelly is our captain, whatever you think of his form, and as such no manager will ever say mid-season he's off and we're not bothered about it.

This narrative that Spittal is not trying a leg is something that has ripped my knitting the past month or so.

If you watch him the amount of closing down he does and cajoling his team mates into a press is defo not the MO of someone not interested.

Ok he’s stopped banging in 35 yard screamers but to say he has downed tools because of his PCA is bollocks to anyone with functioning eyes. 

1 minute ago, Yabba is a Turd said:

I also don't think that Spittal downed tools, perhaps he was trying to hard to please. It's the same with Dhanda, they are professional footballers and owe it to themselves to play to their best. 

Yassss mate!

1 hour ago, Stevie Kirk said:

This narrative that Spittal is not trying a leg is something that has ripped my knitting the past month or so.

If you watch him the amount of closing down he does and cajoling his team mates into a press is defo not the MO of someone not interested.

Ok he’s stopped banging in 35 yard screamers but to say he has downed tools because of his PCA is bollocks to anyone with functioning eyes. 

I don't think the majority of sensible fans think he's downed tools to be honest otherwise we'd hear it big time on match days en masse. He's definitely not playing to the levels he was and it's kind of conincided with the Hearts announcement/leak. Which is a wee bit unfortunate but he's still very very important for us. 

6 minutes ago, eliphas said:

I don't think the majority of sensible fans think he's downed tools to be honest otherwise we'd hear it big time on match days en masse. He's definitely not playing to the levels he was and it's kind of conincided with the Hearts announcement/leak. Which is a wee bit unfortunate but he's still very very important for us. 

Yeah considering the deal was probably done soon after Hearts could ‘legally’ approach him and he was instrumental in games till the leak it’s a poor coincidence for the optics but fodder for the conspiracy theorists.

In the meantime, looking forward to “the list” which usually appeared under Flow on the Tuesday after the last league game. Interesting to see if Caldwell follows suit to save the rumour mill working overtime.

1 minute ago, Vietnam91 said:

In the meantime, looking forward to “the list” which usually appeared under Flow on the Tuesday after the last league game. Interesting to see if Caldwell follows suit to save the rumour mill working overtime.

Can't be much worse than last year's disgraceful effort!

Btw Groningen are on the verge of squeaking promotion tonight so depending on the details of the KVV deal,we might be a little better off this evening.

3 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Should have really qualified my age. Scott Howie was the first 'keeper I saw.

We sold Howie for a small fee to Reading. He ended up in some sort of contract dispute but despite his age we were entitled to a fee but initially he was loaned to Coventry in the EPL. We ended up saddled with Woods for a season as we had no dosh for a replacement, dog keech keeper despite what others may say. 

4 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Aaron Chapman is leagues ahead of Michael Fraser.

I wonder what the feeling around the club is on Oxborough. From the tiny amount I have seen of him I would prefer giving him a shot over any of the names that have been kicked about.

Could we get Siegrist if Kelly goes to Celric