Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, dezz said:

When you heading off? We fly out next Thursday - can't bloody wait.

Any other contributors to The Thread TM heading out?

I'm doing Munich, Cologne, Stuttgart, aye, to say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. Will be making it up to the missus for quite some time, I imagine...

9 minutes ago, dezz said:

I've got tickets for the Hungary game - looking forward to a few days in Freiburg & Stuttgart in a couple of weeks time...

1 minute ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I'm doing Munich, Cologne, Stuttgart, aye, to say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. Will be making it up to the missus for quite some time, I imagine...

Nice one! We've got tickets for all 3 games as well but staying in Nuremberg for the duration and getting trains to the games. Seems reasonably central and was far cheaper for accommodation than the host cities. 

Same here, I'm being forced into booking a holiday this weekend with the Mrs for September in order to keep the peace. The credit card is taking an absolute battering. 

Just now, dezz said:

Nice one! We've got tickets for all 3 games as well but staying in Nuremberg for the duration and getting trains to the games. Seems reasonably central and was far cheaper for accommodation than the host cities. 

Same here, I'm being forced into booking a holiday this weekend with the Mrs for September in order to keep the peace. The credit card is taking an absolute battering. 

Very good, I've only got a ticket for Hungary sadly but you never know...

Only passed through Nuremberg station but should be a good base. Particularly if you're into history.

Trains are much maligned atm but generally speaking still pretty reliable...just hoping they can dry things up a bit in Bayern in the next week or so.

18 minutes ago, dezz said:

Booked before the draw was made so will be in Berlin for the first game before doing a tour of Germany and making Cologne and Stuttgart for the last two games.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, dezz said:

The credit card is taking an absolute battering. 

Don't know if anyone has used Revolut abroad but its pretty useful, no fees for paying stuff on machine/contactless and you get a rate that's pretty much interbank. You can lift £200 (or equiv) in currency, which I tended to do once at the start of any trip (as foreign ATM's do carry a fee normally) for street food and public transport.

I get £50 if I recommend so if anyone is interested I'll happily send that to you. PM me if anyone wants the code.

Edited by Vietnam91

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

I've got tickets for the Hungary game - looking forward to a few days in Freiburg & Stuttgart in a couple of weeks time...

I was looking at flying out on the Saturday - Monday for this game, albeit ticketless and soaking either hunners of atmosphere cause there is something riding on it or none at all if we are about to get papped out.

what sort of route you flying?

my only stumbling block is that i'm off to Glastonbury on the Tuesday and it's a very tight turnaround.

4 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

I was looking at flying out on the Saturday - Monday for this game, albeit ticketless and soaking either hunners of atmosphere cause there is something riding on it or none at all if we are about to get papped out.

my only stumbling block is that i'm off to Glastonbury on the Tuesday and it's a very tight turnaround.

We're driving it using the channel tunnel shuttle - flying to anywhere reasonably do-able was looking like silly money when I checked (which was a while back, so it might have calmed down). 

12 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Got the best option for Euro's and Glastonbury - watching them in the hoose or Glasgow city centre boozer.

2 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

I have no particular inside info or insight but I think it's safe to say from the tone of things and time taken that it's not going entirely smoothly and I suspect neither side - mainly EB - is willing to make the compromises needed to get over the line.

Safe to say any prepared press releasing citing impending financial doom may have to be reworded.

Quick google search says this season we received 650k for the 22/23 season which has both the OF playing in the CL. Hearts got a Europa group.

Next season it will probably take a small dip but not massive due to the **** getting into the Europa with Hearts.

However, due to changes at UEFA the solidarity payments go up 120% for season 24/25 (paid in 2026) and therefore that 650k could be anything from 800k to 1.45m dependent of how the **** do in qualifying in a few months.

Add in Premier Sports money (reported at 10m)

In theory each club gets 800k but reality is probably 400k each with the rest awarded to the featured teams in live matches and a token amount fed down in to the championship.

Combined our funding gap is plugged.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

McMahon is trying to finalise his "legacy" by selling the club down the river.
I have faith the WS will see through the charlatan and I don't doubt his offer will be less than sufficient anyway.

Why does everything have to be so black and white and framed as goodies and baddies? 

Could it not easily be that Jim McMahon's view is we do genuinely need investment and income stream for the future. Other people can have other ideas of what is needed too but he thinks it best to explore outside investment. There doesn't need to be a grand 'this is my legacy' and I'll do it all costs framing of it. 

The 'charlatan' could easily be someone who has the means and/or skills and genuine interest in the club.  Maybe they've under estimated the task. Maybe the haven't. But it doesnt mean they are skill-less baddies looking for a quick buck. 

As I've said before, I hope we get that WS strategy and action plan presented to us soon. Looking forward to seeing what is going to be presented. 

1 hour ago, MurrayWell said:

On that though, and as a WS member, I hope this has all been a bit of a wake up call. The new folk on the board seem to have some great ideas and are impressing, so not aimed at them, but I think fan ownership has been taken for granted by some at the club in recent years, engagement isn't good, voting stats/turnouts show that. There is a fair bit to do to get folk, including some I've spoken to who are still members, back fully on board with it. 

100% nailed it. I'd go further and say there is a huge amount to do. If we are still at that ideation/work shopping stage then fine but we need to move to actual genuine delivery soon to not lose anymore interest. Appreciate the investor stuff may be holding that up so even more reason to move that along in one or the other directions ASAP

25 minutes ago, eliphas said:

The 'charlatan' could easily be someone who has the means and/or skills and genuine interest in the club.  Maybe they've under estimated the task. Maybe the haven't. But it doesnt mean they are skill-less baddies looking for a quick buck. 

Sure but we're not - or certainly shouldn't be - working on the basis on 'could be' but the balance of probability and risk/reward. I've said repeatedly EB seems an interesting guy I'd certainly love to see us work with but not at any price. If he was that genuinely interested in the club I'd say he'd be more open to taking a minority stake and working within the structure than insisting on a controlling stake for a pittance - which regardless of anything else is a red flag for me.

19 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Sure but we're not - or certainly shouldn't be - working on the basis on 'could be' but the balance of probability and risk/reward. I've said repeatedly EB seems an interesting guy I'd certainly love to see us work with but not at any price. If he was that genuinely interested in the club I'd say he'd be more open to taking a minority stake and working within the structure than insisting on a controlling stake for a pittance - which regardless of anything else is a red flag for me.

Agreed. 

Is he insisting on a controlling stake for a pittance though? Or is that internet chat and the casting of him as the big evil bad guy who is going to f**k the club over stoking the fire more? 

I guess that's why I don't like this narrative I see online. Not just @Busta Nut btw, I don't want to this to come across as a direct attack, I think it's rife across many people on here who have an interest (and outside of MFC too...it's just the way of the world).

Unless people are working with inside info from WS or Club contacts that is and know these things to be true 

7 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Agreed. 

Is he insisting on a controlling stake for a pittance though? Or is that internet chat and the casting of him as the big evil bad guy who is going to f**k the club over stoking the fire more? 

Ha, that's a good question...it's up to you, and everyone else, if you'd like to wait to the official numbers to make judgement or if you decide the info available, and those it came from, is likely reliable. I tend to the latter here but it's a very individual choice.

I also don't think he's a bad guy who intends to f**k the club over right now but these things can and do go wrong. It's another individual question of risk if you're willing to consider a path which could theoretically lead there...for me that's an absolute no, others will be more up for it.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Might have but doesn't seem to have been mentioned, you're apparently signing Kofi Balmer tomorrow.

Yeah, it was mentioned a few pages back before the discussion turned to *other stuff*. It was also brought up the other week before there was any mention in the press.

On 30/05/2024 at 21:21, wellboy1991 said:

Potential all Irish defence next year…. Sounds like we are signing another Irish centre half. Been mentioned on here before. Kofi Balmer from Crystal Palace. 

Also heard. Not surprisingly, that Nicholson and SODs have agreed new deals, 2yrs and 1 yr respectively. 

Lost out on 3 keepers so far aswell.