Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

27 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Just read some of the comments on Facebook. I guess there are some of the same people who see a stat like best in league for points scored from a losing position and think that’s something to shout about.

I believe the collective noun for them is "A media-team of people"

I reckon Robinson will be class for you. Was unreal for us in the Championship. No idea why Docherty didn’t play him more last season. Absolutely oozes talent and can turn players effortlessly. Does appear lazy at times though. Would’ve been delighted if we had got him on a permanent deal being that he’s only turned 22 and has so much potential.

That's a coup. Always thought we should have got more out of him. Was fantastic in our Championship season but didn't adjust to the top flight well then got shunted out to the wing.

Strong laddie, composed and I reckon he'll do the business for you.

Gutted tbh.

9 minutes ago, K.T said:

I reckon Robinson will be class for you. Was unreal for us in the Championship. No idea why Docherty didn’t play him more last season. Absolutely oozes talent and can turn players effortlessly. Does appear lazy at times though. Would’ve been delighted if we had got him on a permanent deal being that he’s only turned 22 and has so much potential.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's a coup. Always thought we should have got more out of him. Was fantastic in our Championship season but didn't adjust to the top flight well then got shunted out to the wing.

Strong laddie, composed and I reckon he'll do the business for you.

Gutted tbh.

It's not nice to take the piss out of us.

18 minutes ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Zach Robinson, the big Serbian boy. The Bair is away isn't he?

Not to bring things back to the "investment" stuff but it's why I found this section of McMahon's furious essay so fucking disingenuous.

Screenshot2024-06-20at12_36_47.thumb.png.21f94b7c7c109f362320a70442a1a727.png

That may be factually true but it's like we've not been fielding offers for Thelonius...

I listened to Kettlewell on the Scottish Football Podcast that was on at the weekend. There was a fair bit of chat on it about Scotland's 3-4-2-1 system and whether it should have been changed for the Swiss game. You'll be unsurprised to hear that Ketts chimed in saying that he plays a similar formation for Motherwell and that he thought Clarke should stick with it. I'm taking that almost as confirmation that 3-4-2-1 is what we will be playing this year with very little exception.

We obviously still need a goalkeeper.

In defence we are probably a left wing back and a centre back short (assuming Wilson is up to being the LWB deputy). 

In midfield we are fine for numbers (especially if Slattery does sign an extension) - but the quality in there does leave me a bit concerned. I know little about Sparrow, but there is definitely much of a muchness about Halliday, Paton and Callachan in that all are experienced enough at this level to put some kind of shift in, but you wouldn't have any as a nailed on starter. There would be further concerns with the quality were we to sign Miller.

Up front, it's likely Bair will go (Ketts did also say on that podcast that we'd turned down bids already). Nicholson is obviously for the two behind the striker. The description of Robinson makes me wonder if he will be one for behind the centre forward, rather than being the centre forward himself - or at least be one that can play both. I'd say assuming we do sign Stuparevic, we are probably a body light at least up top too - unless it's thought that Wells, Ross or Ferrie are going to step up this season.

14 minutes ago, standupforthemotherwell said:

Bair will be away the day after the WS vote I reckon 

100%.

If we shift him for the sort of fee that's doing the rounds then it leaves McMahon with nothing to scaremonger over.

Absolute guess work from me yesterday with Ross Tierney being replaced by Ross Callachan, but that seems to be the one in/one out from midfield. I reckon if we keep Slattery that'll be us for that department. 

Bair has been linked with too many clubs now to not be on the way out imo. Don't imagine he'll be back after the Copa America. As much as I'd love him to stay, if we're talking £1m+ we can't turn that down. 

15 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

100% because if we shift him before then for the sort of fee that's doing the rounds then McMahon's scaremongering falls apart.

Don't get drawn into the Star Wars style conspiracies....if we get a bid that is big enough he will go regardless of whatever is going on in the club.

Edited by eliphas

14 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

I listened to Kettlewell on the Scottish Football Podcast that was on at the weekend. There was a fair bit of chat on it about Scotland's 3-4-2-1 system and whether it should have been changed for the Swiss game. You'll be unsurprised to hear that Ketts chimed in saying that he plays a similar formation for Motherwell and that he thought Clarke should stick with it. I'm taking that almost as confirmation that 3-4-2-1 is what we will be playing this year with very little exception.

We obviously still need a goalkeeper.

In defence we are probably a left wing back and a centre back short (assuming Wilson is up to being the LWB deputy). 

In midfield we are fine for numbers (especially if Slattery does sign an extension) - but the quality in there does leave me a bit concerned. I know little about Sparrow, but there is definitely much of a muchness about Halliday, Paton and Callachan in that all are experienced enough at this level to put some kind of shift in, but you wouldn't have any as a nailed on starter. There would be further concerns with the quality were we to sign Miller.

Up front, it's likely Bair will go (Ketts did also say on that podcast that we'd turned down bids already). Nicholson is obviously for the two behind the striker. The description of Robinson makes me wonder if he will be one for behind the centre forward, rather than being the centre forward himself - or at least be one that can play both. I'd say assuming we do sign Stuparevic, we are probably a body light at least up top too - unless it's thought that Wells, Ross or Ferrie are going to step up this season.

It obviously depends on where Kettlewell sees O'Donnell but as things stands it looks like this?

lineup.png.f08ed9e283324b9ed5deac6bd06ffbc7.png

Stuparević in would give us 4 senior strikers for 1 spot or 4 for 2 if we were to go back to the 3412 that worked well when SK took over?

It still has us pretty heavy in centre mid which is why the Callachan signing is so genuinely weird.

Edited by capt_oats

On 17/06/2024 at 11:57, Casagolda said:

Not sure about Nouble but to add to the speculation I heard we’d apparently been talking to the boy Robinson who was at Dundee last season. 

Also that we were trying to sign a goalie who’s played in Scotland before(not Joe Lewis). 

E5875277-C31F-45E3-A52E-97F6591CD9CE.gif.ada02dac63e116669686377f521c6af1.gif