Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

9 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Don't get drawn into the Star Wars style conspiracies....if we get a bid that is big enough he will go regardless of whatever is going on in the club.

The premise is that transfer itself is definitely happening, it’s just the timing surrounding when it happens and associated announcement.

I duno if Covid/Lockdown has been a factor, or the amount of "journeyman" type players that move clubs regularly, but I'm noticing in the last 4/5 years my knowledge and awareness of other teams players other than the bigger names, has absolutely fallen through the floor.

These last few boys that we've signed or been linked with, that everyone's saying "he was decent/shite with x/y/z", and I've got absolutely no clue who they are.

I'm going to have to start consciously paying attention more. Either that or get a job as a Scottish football pundit.

I think there's been a real increase in players moving between clubs in our top flight in recent years, does seem to be happening much more frequently than before. 

Not going to pretend I know loads about Zach Robinson, but Dundee fans seem to rate him highly. He scored against us in the 3-3 at Fir Park last season IIRC. 

4 minutes ago, MurrayWell said:

I think there's been a real increase in players moving between clubs in our top flight in recent years, does seem to be happening much more frequently than before. 

Not going to pretend I know loads about Zach Robinson, but Dundee fans seem to rate him highly. He scored against us in the 3-3 at Fir Park last season IIRC. 

I’m only going by what I’ve read @Ludo*1 say about him but Robinson feels like a fit for the Mandron/Obika role of a facilitator. As I mentioned earlier I wonder if this might be Kettlewell going back to the shape that worked for him with KVV playing off a target man.

Edited by capt_oats

20 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

How does the vote go Nostradamus? Because I could do with a day off …. 

:lol:

Well I’m voting for Erik to sling his hook but I have the fear that there’s a fair share of our fans that will fall for his patter and McMahon’s scaremongering. 

The issue with Robinson seems to be if he's not completely loved by the fans and manager, he can disappear. Some would say it's disinterest, but I thought he was lacking confidence this season. Build that up in him and you've got a player that can go on and net you a tidy profit down the line- if you don't, you've got a man down. Make him feel like the main man.

Lot of potential in him that could go either way but certainly has all the raw attributes. Not a target man as such but strong, can strike it well, no slouch and had an absolutely brilliant partnership with Alex Jakubiak in our Championship season with him. 

41 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

The premise is that transfer itself is definitely happening, it’s just the timing surrounding when it happens and associated announcement.

Oh yeah, I know, but the inference was it would be held back until after any vote is completed due to dark arts being in play.  I don't think that would be the case if things did move quickly on the Bair front. 

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

It obviously depends on where Kettlewell sees O'Donnell but as things stands it looks like this?

I had hoped you were going to trot out the graphic 😆

My thoughts on SOD and Koutroumbis was that perhaps one will be the starting right wing-back and the other will provide cover for both RCB and RWB.

34 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Oh yeah, I know, but the inference was it would be held back until after any vote is completed due to dark arts being in play.  I don't think that would be the case if things did move quickly on the Bair front. 

You don’t think they’ve already been deployed?

So, I finally got some time to read the lengthy announcement by the club, and figured I'd post my thoughts.

The club board's statement fails to address the core issues surrounding Erik Barmack's investment proposal adequately. Despite claims of transparency and the promise of detailed information, Barmack himself has admitted that he only possesses a fraction of the necessary data to formulate a robust business plan. This raises serious concerns about the thoroughness and preparedness of this investment proposal.

The absence of a detailed business plan, which should have been a prerequisite for consideration, leaves us with significant uncertainty. The club's valuation, heavily contested by supporters, appears based on speculative and incomplete data, further undermining confidence in the proposed deal. A valuation of £4m, justified through questionable adjustments and assumptions, does not align with the reality of our club's assets and potential.

The club board's argument that public meetings are impractical due to the number of voters is a weak excuse for avoiding direct engagement. Written statements cannot substitute for the dynamic exchange of a public forum, where questions can be answered in real-time, and accountability is immediate.

The assertion that the club is not in imminent financial difficulty contradicts the rationale for seeking investment. If the club’s finances are stable, as claimed, why is there a sudden push to bring in external investors? This inconsistency is troubling and suggests either financial mismanagement or a hidden agenda.

The claim that issuing new shares to Erik Barmack, while also offering shares to the Well Society and other shareholders, will preserve fan ownership is misleading. The staged investment over six years, culminating in Barmack owning 49% of the shares, effectively hands over substantial control, if not a majority, and risks undermining the very foundation of fan ownership.

The board's confidence in the safeguards against asset stripping is unconvincing. The supposed protections do little to alleviate concerns about long-term control and influence over club assets, including Fir Park.

Finally, the proposed board structure, even with assurances of balanced representation, does not guarantee that fan interests will be safeguarded. The potential for conflicts of interest and undue influence remains high, particularly with Barmack appointing two of his own to the board.

It is imperative, in my opinion, that the board halts this process until a full, detailed business plan is presented and subjected to rigorous scrutiny. The future of our club and the principle of fan ownership are too important to be compromised by incomplete and inadequately supported proposals.

1 minute ago, camer0n_mcd said:

Ketts loves his 1 year with an option of another doesn't he

It makes sense, doesn't it? Especially in this situation. If Slattery doesn't recover and perform after his injury, we can let him go this time next year. But if he does recover and plays well, we have him secured for another year.

8 minutes ago, David1979 said:

It makes sense, doesn't it? Especially in this situation. If Slattery doesn't recover and perform after his injury, we can let him go this time next year. But if he does recover and plays well, we have him secured for another year.

Oh aye, especially saying that the club control's it. Decent business 

So what have we still got on the shopping list? 

A left back. 

A goalkeeper 

The big Serb

And a centre half for cover 

That's not a bad position to be in 3 weeks before the league cup starts.