Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Will Kelly really have doubled his wage? I don't really have any thoughts on the move other than being glad we're shot of him tbh- but I don't think Rangers would have came within a million miles of touching him if it wasn't for the homegrown thing with McLaughlin and McCorie leaving. Maybe (probably) they have just chucked a few grand extra at him because its what they do but I don't imagine they'd have had much competition for him other than L2 and maybe L1 clubs in England. 

Edit- :lol: I do realise the doubled his wage thing is a passing comment that I've jumped on and taken literally. I've just seen a few folk mention it in different places.

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

Watching the Euro's during the anthems its pretty much always pans up significantly to include the keeper.

6'4", build like the side of a house now seems to be the requisite.

Our national high fat, low vegetable diet is coming back to haunt us, all our beasts end up playing as 2nd rows or 8's in rugger.

1 hour ago, eliphas said:

Correct. 

I think we're saying the same thing. Or certainly what I think and maybe didn't get across is the same view as what you've got there 

To be honest, I'm focussing in my original post which you replied to, rightly or wrongly, on maybe what most people here would see as a negative view (ie. that a no vote should not be taken as a 'for' WS vote). But that's just my personal grumblings about the WS which is a completely different and long chat which doesn't impact my vote. My grumbles about the WS are longstanding, reignited by this whole thing, and it's why I'm keen to see the WS new strategy from the newly added to board. Do I need it to make me vote in this upcoming vote? No. Do I think it would be good for the WS to get out there? Yes. Should they have to? No. 

100%, I was using your post to kind of back mines up 😂

32 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I dread to think who will replace him.

I was pretty critical of him for years but I can't even think of any other Scottish goalies.

Statistically Kelly was the worse keeper for shot save % in the league last season. So realistically, we probably can’t do much worse next year. 

I see Kettlewell has been speaking about the goalkeeper situation and also we've had "concrete" interest in Bair from teams in two of the Top 5 leagues.

“There's been bids. I did say this publicly, there had been a couple of concrete bids from clubs in two of Europe's top five divisions. I won't specify the clubs or countries. I did say it before and I am fine to say it again."

-----------------------

The former Norwich City youngster has been at the club since 2022 but his minutes have been restricted with Liam Kelly ahead of him. Now the Scotland international has left, a number one vacancy has opened up. Kettlewell will move for another goalkeeper but he is high in his praise of the man who has served as deputy.

He said: “We’ve been working hard on that side of things. Everybody will see we need to bring another senior goalkeeper to the group. We knew we would be looking for a goalkeeper but it was never about jumping at the first opportunity.

“It’s given us an opportunity to look at a couple of goalkeepers as well. We’ve had one or two with us since the start of pre-season we have been able to have a look at as well. It’s not been an issue for us at all, it will be resolved to a point in the not so distant future.

“Aston trains to an unbelievable standard every day. He is a completely different personality to what Liam was. But he is 6ft 6in and a very good goalkeeper. He fills the goals, takes crosses very well and is an excellent shot stopper.

“What he doesn’t have is the match experience. But if something had happened to Liam at any stage then I wouldn’t have panicked. I’ve always been certain Aston can go in and play to a real high standard.

“He knows that but he also knows he needs to maximise the opportunity. He need to make sure he is the best goalkeeper at the club. I am looking to have the two best goalkeepers I can have here. I’m looking to bring in another keeper that’s no secret. But it will be a fair fight. Aston has shown me plenty not just i the last few weeks but in the last 18 months.”

Edited by capt_oats

10 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Bench warming unless there's injuries at Ibrox means his Scotland bench warming days are over.

Rangers doing everyone a favour.  Even better will be if they sell Butland and he becomes first choice. 

Edited by Savage Henry

3 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

There's been bids. I did say this publicly, there had been a couple of concrete bids from clubs in two of Europe's top five divisions. I won't specify the clubs or countries. I did say it before and I am fine to say it again.

Haha, that's peak Ketts. About 5 words would do there.

10 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Just catching up on the thread after a few busy days. Great article @thisGRAEMEand I know exactly who your mate from the East End Park roof is, I used to play in a football team with him. Madman 😂

I've been to EEP a few times since and tried to figure out how he did it, to no avail. Astonishing.