Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I think this is basically what I was trying to say. Rather than not sure they woulda voted.

Given they were just in the door they may have been exempt??? I also wouldn't trust what Feeley says. 

But happy to concede and what Jim's ghost said is more likely.

Yeah get that and to be fair to Brian, his interview after the 4.5hr meeting with the WS and press interview last week did hint at being wary. It's a tough one to negotiate just in the door and having to walk a tightrope of collective responsibility and mindful of the makeup of the clubs ownership model.

While Tom said that Brian was very much on board, he also said he couldn't envisage that the WS fundraising would decrease if this came to be. So marked confusion there.

Looking forward to the looks on the faces of the residents of Firpark Street when folk pull up at 11am in mid February and set up awnings and BBQ's for tailgate parties. That £600k buys a lot of hotdogs.

3 hours ago, Vietnam91 said:

Looking forward to the looks on the faces of the residents of Firpark Street when folk pull up at 11am in mid February and set up awnings and BBQ's for tailgate parties. That £600k buys a lot of hotdogs.

The whole getting folk in early thing is a fair symbol of what is utter disconnect between the logical thinker of an outsider and the reality of Scottish football.

It's lovely in theory but without a total change in culture, you're just not going to make money on it.

I don't see however why we shouldn't have folk walking up down the stairs selling drinks and food mind or having an app that lets you order to your seat etc.

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

The whole getting folk in early thing is a fair symbol of what is utter disconnect between the logical thinker of an outsider and the reality of Scottish football.

It's lovely in theory but without a total change in culture, you're just not going to make money on it.

I don't see however why we shouldn't have folk walking up down the stairs selling drinks and food mind or having an app that lets you order to your seat etc.

The vast majority of US stadiums are out of town with massive parking lots to facilitate a full day experience. We have a stadium in a residential area who's fans are already inconvenienced up to 25x a year. Spurs £1B stadium was referenced, its got the novelty of the Europe's longest bar and all other sorts of gimmicks to keep people there.

I was dragged to the Staples Centre in LA to watch Ice Hockey, outside there were 10 bars and restaurants in a plaza and inside vast concourses with all sorts of things to make suck money out of peoples pockets. We got there at 2pm with them all running happy hour and food promos and went into the stadium at 7. it works for the venue and the outside restaurants because they set up for Ice Hockey and play 3 games, then overnight strip it down and set up for a Lakers 4 game run then strip that down for a concert. The vendors know they're getting 10-20k punters on their doorstep 4 to 5 nights a week and the venue has got as close to max occupancy as you could hope for a stadium.

Also, the hawkers in US stadiums rely on those fans in between relaying the food and back with the money. You'd end up getting a mutton pie with 3 bites out it.

However, he was told all this months back along with a load of other stuff but still puts in 600k for fan experiences before and after games further eroding any credibility and that's before working out how it's going to be paid for.

The litmus test for his plan would be to remove all WSS references and replace with WS. You'd get all his fans on X and Facebook going "look at the nick of that", "pie in the sky stuff".

6 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

The litmus test for his plan would be to remove all WSS references and replace with WS. You'd get all his fans on X and Facebook going "look at the nick of that", "pie in the sky stuff".

Aye, there's no doubt that if the Society proposed Wembley, tequila-boosting signings, an app to let folk vote on decisions, millions of unfunded spending in the first years, c+p'd incorrect info off Twitter and missed a crucial deadline, they'd be laughed out of town.

Barmack may be successful in his field, there is absolutely nothing which says he'll be successful in another - indeed, absolutely all evidence so far suggests he'll be a catastrophe.

Minor addition to the making extra money point, I never understood why the club didn't buy/long-term lease what is now Club100 after the FP Club packed it in. There's so many options with that building I find it impossible to believe it wouldn't be useful/profitable long-term.

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Great idea and pretty simple in theory , I mean it's totally normal now in a lot of places to order on an app and get things brought to your table. Get the feeling that's one of those things that gets shrugged off with a " aye but you don't do that at the football". 

2 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Great idea and pretty simple in theory , I mean it's totally normal now in a lot of places to order on an app and get things brought to your table. Get the feeling that's one of those things that gets shrugged off with a " aye but you don't do that at the football". 

They do it over here at Hertha (where I've been told it works well, I've never tried it). But it's essentially just the same software almost every bar/restaurant will use, I'm not an expert here at all but I doubt that'd be beyond us financially.

Posted (edited)

My ultimate matchday experience:

Arrive at 2:55pm, beat the pie queue by watching the last of the first half action down the front of the cooper and leave at (approximately) 4:50pm. 

Don’t ever take that away from me. 

Edited by CoF

8 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Great, I need to stand up another twenty times a match.

In reality we are getting 4,000 fans in on a Saturday.  How many are going to order food via an app?  And you have the set up costs, probably need to hire extra staff and who even knows if we have the facilities to actually do it.  And remember those 4,000 are split across 3 stands.

Let's face it, football crowds are pretty old for the most part, I mean I'm 50 and fairly tech savvy but I'm not going on my phone to order a pie.

If everyone at Fir Park bought a pie you'd be clearing £10,000 minus costs and obviously far fewer people actually do that.

The idea that we as a club have to maximise every possible revenue stream to become 'successful' is just wrong headed.  There are clubs that have four or five times our budget and we basically compete with them on a season by season basis and sometimes even finish above them.

To realistically move forward Motherwell would have to do something ridiculous like increase our revenue by 10 times.  That's just not going to happen.

What we need to do is use the money we do make more effective.  We'll make way, way, way more money developing youth than selling pies on an app.

...a dedicated Motherwell App you say? I just might know a guy.

Posted (edited)

That brings back memories of "get your macaroon bars and spearmint chewing gum".

Showing my age here.

Edited by santheman

Just now, Handsome_Devil said:

Am I the only one thinking the poll has been open three minutes already, where's my bloody ballot?!?

I imagine it'll be stuck in Dover. #Brexit

Posted (edited)

I haven't been this excited/nervous about the postie's arrival since exam results days. Also similar to school/uni exams, I cannot wait till all this shite is over and done with. 

We've had a pretty interesting summer transfer-wise and it's barely been mentioned because of this circus. Assuming the vote goes the way most of us on here are hoping, I'm looking forward to getting back to discussing mercurial Serbian strikers and how we're going to turn our next St Johnstone acquisition into a saleable asset.  

Edited by dezz

Just now, Gianfranco said:

Still Waiting Office Tv GIF by The Office

No email here yet either.

Aye I just want to vote reject and get on with my day this morning. 

My shareholder ballot didn't turn up over the weekend so I'm waiting to vote reject twice and get on with my day.