Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Slightly off topic here. But I’m regards to creating new investment and revenue, I have had a though that investing into our training facilities at Dalziel for an indoor facility for the winter, I know we have the Ravenscraig ( I don’t know the deal we have with them and I assume we pay for it). However having been to Watfords training ground and seen their “inflatable dome” as such. Could this be something we invest in at Dalziel if we decided to upgrade and invest in the facilities we have there to bring it up to standard and more a training hub which has already been mentioned by TWS (just the upgrading side of things and facilities there).

We could invest in it and then have an indoor training facility which in the long term would be better than paying the NLC for months to use their indoors during the winter/ colder months. In turn we could rent out the facility at nights for either our academy (they wouldn’t pay of course) or for public use and make a revenue turn off that. Granted I don’t know the costs involved in it but having looked into Watford’s and seen it first hand it could definitely be something worthwhile looking at. Basically similar to how many clubs rent out there Astro pitches for use to create a better revenue.

https://duol.eu/some-best-references/reference/watford-air-dome
For a bit of context for anyone thinking what is he talking about…

This idea could either be integrated into the many grass pitches or another Astro turf put down. I don’t know any of the costs involved but something to think about. I’m sure Dalziel Park would be open to something like this if it also increased their own revenue and we had an agreement with them that they received a certain % of every let or rental and so did we etc. And again I assume in the long-term this would possibly save us money than renting out the ravenscraig for 3 months of the year.

Posted (edited)

Just received an email from the club.

Essentially I have been told they have decided it will not enter into any further correspondence with beyond issuing general shareholder correspondence with all future correspondence from me being disregarded.

I am accused of falsely accusing club staff of lying to me in an aggressive manner. (unsure if I am the aggressor here or being lied to aggressively).

Numerous people are cited as highlighting my posting of late, suggested I posted completely false information about club financial matters but it also posted without full context in correspondence I received.

This was in response to an email requesting answers to 14 questions.

Edited by Vietnam91

5 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Essentially I have been told they have decided it will not enter into any further correspondence with beyond issuing general shareholder correspondence with all future correspondence from me being disregarded.

A two-week ban, how cute.

There is a distinct deckchairs on the Titanic feeling from the current regime.

9 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Just received an email from the club.

I am accused of falsely accusing club staff of lying to me in an aggressive manner. (unsure if I am the aggressor here or being lied to aggressively).

Numerous people are cited as highlighting my posting of late, suggested I posted completely false information about club financial matters but it also posted without full context club in correspondence I received.

This was in response to an email requesting answers to 14 questions.

14 questions is a lot, when they were somehow expecting none.

I'm pretty sure McMahon envisioned a guard of honor and a statue for this effort, so this backlash must sting a fair bit. Wouldn't be surprised if they were frantically looking for a way to circumvent this vote.

The questions:

Further to the Heads of Terms received by post on Saturday, could you please provide clarification on the following points?

1. To date, the Barmack’s have not submitted any evidence of affordability or proof of funds; these were only promised post-acceptance. Could you explain why this was not addressed earlier in the process? Has the club relied solely on Erik Barmack's assurance of fund availability, or have any other assurances been sought thus far?
  2. Based on the foregoing, am I correct in assuming that no "fit and proper" assessment, as required by the authorities, has been conducted to date?
  3. It has come to my attention that the financial tables lifted from Twitter/X by Wild Sheep Sports contain significantly incorrect values related to Motherwell Football Club’s published accounts. The club’s statement on Friday, 5th July, noted that both documents were studied at length. In light of this, can you confirm whether the club board reviewed this document prior to its publication? If so, given the stated scrutiny, how were these errors overlooked? By referencing and linking to this document, it appears the club has implicitly endorsed its contents. Alternatively, was this document released publicly without the prior knowledge, vetting and approval of the club board? Could you please clarify?
  4. Has the club instructed Wild Sheep Sports to retract or amend this document? If so, when?
  5. Regarding director remuneration, are travel expenses from Los Angeles and local hotel accommodation considered reasonable, or have these been excluded as legitimate expenses?
  6. In the event that Well Society funds are exhausted by the time the club’s accounts are audited in October, as indicated by Derek Weir at the 2024 AGM, who acts as a guarantor to ensure the club's continued operation during a poor season (e.g., finishing 10th, no player sales, no cup runs)?
  7. The Wild Sheep Sports Heads of Terms does not specify the penalty for the Well Society should it fail to meet the £200k per year for the first three years and £250k per year for the last three years. Could you please confirm the agreed details regarding the consequences of failing to make these payments?
  8. Regarding the call option and buyback, it was previously stated as Erik’s investment to date (£600k) and expenses (£30k). Now there is an added call option price. Could you provide a hypothetical example similar to a player transfer of £3.5m to illustrate this?
  9. I trust the irony of the Barmack’s holding the majority of shares in Wild Sheep Sports and retaining the casting vote within their own company has not been overlooked by the club board.
  10. We have been assured that no external loans will be sought. However, the Wild Sheep Sports business plan projects a £1.31m funding gap by the end of year two (when the buyback option takes effect). By the end of year three, Wild Sheep Sports is projected to have invested £900k yet incurred a spend of £3.5m. Did the club board query this and receive a satisfactory explanation before proceeding? If so, how will this be funded?
  11. Is the information provided considered a prospectus, and if so, who is listed as the fund manager?
  12. Tom Feely advised the board vote on accepting WSS was unanimous, I understand you were part of that vote. Tom advised he was asked to vote a club board level before the WS voted. Therefore, why was the vote not postponed for the two WS representative directors to return and take direction from their own board?
  13. May I have it confirmed on record, as of June 2024, that the club stands by and can justify an EV of £7.7m? This figure is derived from the 10th July statement as “£1.95m – pricing the equity in the club at just under £4m – with the addition of the debt of £3.7m (WS and Government), equating to an Enterprise Value (EV) of £7.7m for the whole club,” with no mention or mitigation of liquid assets available.
  14. Lastly, for the record, could you confirm whether the following statement is correct: If WSS is successful, upon the handover on 31st August 2024, the majority shareholder would need at least five votes to three to carry any club board vote due to the Wild Sheep Sports 8% minority shareholding and casting vote?

Whilst this might, initially be seen as wildly off topic, I suggest we follow this approach. Whilst almost everyone of a certain age bracket has a smartphone, we should start filming the documentary now.

And, whilst many of us will have mega pixel cameras, we should trawl the charity shops for 1990s camcorders so that the world can observe the grainy and gritty Motherwell look, as this is the authentic Motherwell  spin.

Not fucking hot dogs.

if I received that email and I was blinkered and 100% behind the takeover, like they seem to be, i would be annoyed that someone off the street was asking all these questions.

I did read it in an aggressive voice in my head but that's just me. A lot (all) of these questions do need answered and you would think that the board do have the answers... they have asked them haven't they?

3 minutes ago, steelmen said:

I did read it in an aggressive voice in my head but that's just me. A lot (all) of these questions do need answered and you would think that the board do have the answers... they have asked them haven't they?

I just asked something of my own in a, I hope, suitably deferential manner to my obvious superiors. Should I be deemed worthy of a reply, I'll make further queries from the above.

20 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

14 questions is a lot, when they were somehow expecting none.

17 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

The questions:

TBF, there's a LOT more than 14 questions in there if you count them up! 😉

@Vietnam91, who was your email addressed to? If I thought it would do any good I'd be happy to fire an abridged version off myself, with no "baggage" behind, but I suspect they won't reply to hitherto complete randoms either.

Alternatively, could someone from the Well Society not ask them in a far more official capacity? (I sort of assume they already have, though.)

16 minutes ago, rowsdower said:

I'm pretty sure McMahon envisioned a guard of honor and a statue for this effort....

Given we renamed our stands after four of the more illustrious names of our past, in recognition of their individual achievements and influence...perhaps a more fitting legacy would be for us to rename within each stand, "The Jim McMahon Bogs", "The Douglas Dickie Urinals" or the " The Tom Feely Crappers"...?

40 minutes ago, supermarv said:

https://duol.eu/some-best-references/reference/watford-air-dome
For a bit of context for anyone thinking what is he talking about…

This idea could either be integrated into the many grass pitches or another Astro turf put down. I don’t know any of the costs involved but something to think about. I’m sure Dalziel Park would be open to something like this if it also increased their own revenue and we had an agreement with them that they received a certain % of every let or rental and so did we etc. And again I assume in the long-term this would possibly save us money than renting out the ravenscraig for 3 months of the year.

whilst I think it's a good idea, and could work I reckon the finer details would just be stumbling block after stumbling block. I don't think Dalziel would be too pleased with folk coming to tear up the nice grass pitches every night for a few hundred quid a week. You'd most likely need planning permission to erect a huge dome outside peoples front doors, and given the size of those houses, I reckon they might have pretty decent lawyers.

I think our own purpose built training facility is a must, surely be an attraction to players, and more importantly selling the club to youngsters who have options. I'm certain Aberdeen's place cost them about 20m, so unless Bair bags a hat trick against Argentina to top up the reserves, that won't be happening.

Just now, Doctor Manhattan said:

TBF, there's a LOT more than 14 questions in there if you count them up! 😉

@Vietnam91, who was your email addressed to? If I thought it would do any good I'd be happy to fire an abridged version off myself, with no "baggage" behind, but I suspect they won't reply to hitherto complete randoms either.

Alternatively, could someone from the Well Society not ask them in a far more official capacity? (I sort of assume they already have, though.)

shares@motherwellfc.co.uk was the address they requested be used for questions.

Would suggest that if you want a genuine answer it coming from an individual rather than the Society, given the current relations, offers better hope of success.

Today’s post ballot release statement from Jim McMahon is really poor in my opinion. Sadly it sums up the entire handling of this deal.

My vote is to reject.

1. Too much for too little (when no trust has been built)

2. I would not be against working with the Barmacks as they have clear credibility as evidenced by their CVs but not on the current terms. I hope further discussion directly with the Well Society can take place. Willingness to do so would help build trust and show commitment.

3. Major work needs done to sort out the relationship between the Club Board and the Well Society.

I don’t think this needed to be like this. Just a poor reflection on our Club.

8 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

shares@motherwellfc.co.uk was the address they requested be used for questions.

Would suggest that if you want a genuine answer it coming from an individual rather than the Society, given the current relations, offers better hope of success.

Yeah, but you'd think they'd be obliged to answer their majority shareholder / actual fucking owner.

8 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

WS board members were copied in

Cheers.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

whilst I think it's a good idea, and could work I reckon the finer details would just be stumbling block after stumbling block. I don't think Dalziel would be too pleased with folk coming to tear up the nice grass pitches every night for a few hundred quid a week. You'd most likely need planning permission to erect a huge dome outside peoples front doors, and given the size of those houses, I reckon they might have pretty decent lawyers.

I think our own purpose built training facility is a must, surely be an attraction to players, and more importantly selling the club to youngsters who have options. I'm certain Aberdeen's place cost them about 20m, so unless Bair bags a hat trick against Argentina to top up the reserves, that won't be happening.

That’s definitely a fair point was just a thought off the top of my head. However I’m sure Dalziel Park can benefit financially from it they’d most likely be up for it. There’s 2 grass pitches ground level most likely be the first one that the players always walk by in the videos that I envision the plan of the Dome on, as it is seldom used and not right in front of the houses. This would still leave us to use the pitch just in front of the houses, the main park at the top of the hill as well as the rugby pitch and 2 astros. To add having read an article many other clubs such as Arsenal etc have a much smaller dome at 10m rather than the 22m that watfords is.

Edited by supermarv

On the one hand, it’s incredible to see the level of engagement that this has brought on. Some of the work which has gone on from supporters and from the WS board has been fantastic. 

On the other hand, I can’t help but feel after today, Motherwell Football Club - what a state to get yourself into.