Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

21 minutes ago, TheMotherwell1 said:

Paton is clearly becoming a scapegoat for a very bad system. Davor was completely anonymous tonight and seems to be getting away with it.

We cannot afford to lineup with Paton, Halliday and Davor. Only 1 of them should play next to Miller.

Davor was pining for his big pal. As am I. Not told the wee fella yet, he’ll be crushed. His first ‘favourite ever ‘Well player’. Worse than losing a family pet IMO.

If you listened to Kettlewell after the Edinburgh game he saw the problem with not creaating eough chances from open play but tonight he comes out with an even less attacking team.  Pushing Halliday forward in place of Ferrie.

Miller and Davor should not be a thing unless we are actually planning to sit in and hit teams on the break. You only need one of those guys in a game where you expect to have a lot of the ball.

Wilson doesn't look like he has much pace, looks tidy enough, but I want Gent back, or at least someone Gent adjacent.

We also need to make sure that Moses first touch is in the box.

Totally agree re the midfield. That midfield minus Miller would get us in trouble next season for sure. 

I would not say any of them were rotten. Just not very good against a lower division team albeit a capable one. We were crying out for Sam Nicholson or someone more creative.

I would give pass marks to Ox the goalie. Did not have a lot to do but was commanding in his box. Collected quite a few crosses. Saved a certain goal that a smaller Kelly would have conceded by somehow clawing it off the line. And saved a penalty. 

Also thought Liam Gordon looked good. Very assured passing the ball from defence. I don’t think he misplaced one pass. Meanwhile Casey inexplicably passed straight to a Montrose player late in the game near the edge of our box. I suspect our 1st choice defence will have Kofi Balmer and Liam Gordon in it. 

Miller has some excellent passes as per but did not have his shooting boots on. A couple of efforts ballooned into the murky grey sky. 

Up front Nothing to get too excited about. We definitely need a replacement for Bair. Robinson looked assured on the ball but should have gambled on Paton reaching ball and he would have had a tap in to an empty net.

All in all quite underwhelming but it was a damp nmidweek night on a plastic pitch away from home. And we managed to get 2 out of 3 points. So not a total catastrophe….

20 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

Davor was pining for his big pal. As am I. Not told the wee fella yet, he’ll be crushed. His first ‘favourite ever ‘Well player’. Worse than losing a family pet IMO.

I honestly thought you meant Davor for a second

Robinson looks the better of the two strikers but may not be a finisher.  I want to see Stuparevic start.

How can we sign 97 new players and only two of them start?

I'd expect stuparevic to start on Saturday for the sake of spreading the minutes across the squad.

Hopefully we see some of the injured players get some game time under their belt too. Wonder if we will stick to our usual custom and put our new right back on the left, assuming seddon is still out.

Ketts seems very keen to add a new striker, which I'd expect to be a loan based on the numbers we've signed already. I expect it to be a big unit to compliment what we have.

Really really need a quality midfielder, but fully expect us to bring a 2nd LWB to balance things out.

Fairly honest and decent appraisal from Ketts post match interview imho.

Knows we need to add to the forward line. States he needs to manage squad and share minutes on the pitch. Clearly a bit irked as we all are that we have quite a few injuries already for new players. 

I think our starting 11 v Thistle will be more like our strongest 11. MCGinn if fit, Balmer and possibly the new boy Kaleta. Nicholson if fit and probably whomever replaces Bair. So only possibly 5 who started tonite dependant on players available and any new additions. 

He also talked about giving opposition momentum and name checked the awful / slack pass from Casey as a clear example. I like Casey fwiw. But he is making more errors now than when he 1st arrived..

Edited by welldaft

While we probably haven't had one game so far that has our expected starting line up on game one of the league, however we've managed two games where we haven't conceded against a Dutch pub team and Edinburgh City.

There should still be enough from a number of our second string guys even if they are playing beside new teammates to earn a clean sheet.

Easy to forget that only last season ( I think it was) that St Mirren lost 1-0 away to Montrose in the league cup. So if we can now go on to emulate St Mirren in the league that will do the trick nicely. I don’t suspect we will but you can only hope……

31 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Easy to forget that only last season ( I think it was) that St Mirren lost 1-0 away to Montrose in the league cup. So if we can now go on to emulate St Mirren in the league that will do the trick nicely. I don’t suspect we will but you can only hope……

Are you trying to summon them?!

Kettlewell's interview was fine by in large. He's not always going to cover everything that was right and wrong. 

But if I'm being hyper critical...

Casey was fine/had nothing to do for the game. That one slack pass, which was bad fair enough, but I think it's a bit unfair for that to be so clearly singled out . 

If we are singling things out then

- Blaney's weak weak attempt at blocking and marshalling a lower league player away from scoring should be the first thing.

- A setup and midfield team selection that offered little forward passing would by next  

- Not enough quality moving it from midfield and wing backs to the forward area would be my third. 

25 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Kettlewell's interview was fine by in large. He's not always going to cover everything that was right and wrong. 

The interview was both spot on and at a complete disconnect to him being the one who picked that formation and midfield.

I think we saw and commented last season that SK's philosophy is one system so that all players know the positions and can move between as cover or to adjust the attack-defence balance as needed. 

Which is fine in theory, in practice, hmm.

I'm certainly not overly bothered at a LC slip up nor even a poor performance. We scored lots of goals last year using this system, the medium-term concern is it was less the system generating chances/goals but rather Bair and Spittal having the six months of their careers.

So no panic yet by any means, I save that for September...but definitely a hint of concern that SK is going to lead us into bother by being overly cautious and stubborn.

44 minutes ago, eliphas said:

Casey was fine/had nothing to do for the game. That one slack pass, which was bad fair enough, but I think it's a bit unfair for that to be so clearly singled out . 

If we are singling things out then

- Blaney's weak weak attempt at blocking and marshalling a lower league player away from scoring should be the first thing.

I think Blaney was better overall than Casey last night, although I agree he needed to be stronger for the goal. He is far more composed on the ball than Casey and it shows.

Casey consistently takes risks with his passing/heavy touches and is far too slow in possession (although you can say that about the whole team last night; especially Paton). In the first half he had a couple of simple passes to play out to SODs to get it wider and he played them straight out the park. He's always got a clanger (or six) in him, which is why I can see him dropping to the bench at the weekend in favour of Balmer.

Tbh, I think of the three that started at CB last night only Gordon will be a regular; Balmer and McGinn will be the other starters.

We desperately need a number 10 who can play the ball quickly and incisively. As frustrating as Paton is in that role that's not his position; although I'm really not sure what his actual/best one is. Halliday looked the busier of the two and was at least trying to get some runs/passing going at points, I was baffled he came off first... Then remembered Paton has scuddies of Kettlewell.

It absolutely wasn't great and the fact we started to play with more pace and urgency when it went to 1-1 tells me we absolutely had other gears to go through and... Didn't. That's on Kettlewell; as is playing one up top against teams in league one and two; I could maybe have accepted that if between them he'd started two of Robinson/Moses/Stuparevic.

All in all, not a good day at the fitba. Decent chippy for tea and my first red pudding supper, though.

Edited by StAndrew7

I’ve been really impressed with the hard work and good humour you’ve shown in defeating Barmack’s “investment offer”, and now “toast Stonehenge” has made me proper burst out laughing. Well done all round Motherwell fans, you’re a great bunch of folk.